PDA

View Full Version : Best Fruit On The Planet

notdavidlynch
05-12-2014, 07:21 AM
Be specific about the cultivar, etc.

My current money is on the Ojai Pixie Tangerine. If I could only have one fruit going forward that would be it.

I will be sad when I leave the area and can't find these little golden gems anymore..

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_Dwex9AQ8IuA/SduAwhV-k0I/AAAAAAAAEs4/T3IWNc4Yef4/s400/pixie-seedless-tangerine-400-1.jpg

mondschein
05-12-2014, 12:11 PM
I didn't know one could be so sophisticated about fruit... I have a very vague idea about the origin of the fruits I eat. I just feel lucky when I eat a good banana or apple.
Out of curiosity, how much do you pay for a pound of the tangerines you mentioned?

floid
05-12-2014, 12:15 PM
Haskap (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lonicera_caerulea) berriies (Lonicera caerulea).
I grow the Borealis and Cinderella cultivars.
Looks like an oblong blueberry and tastes like nothing else I've tried.
Being a type of honeysuckle with a bush habit it also grows almost anywhere with minimal care and is, they say, one of the most nutritious natural sweets around.

http://haskap.ca/wp-content/themes/haskapca/images/haskap_berry.jpg

Hephaestus
05-12-2014, 12:17 PM
Cavendish banana, or Hass avocado. Though admittedly, I haven't had much opportunity to try other cultivars of either.

Valkyrie
05-12-2014, 12:54 PM
Idk, but whatever form of tomato I was eating in Serbia was hands-down the most impressive thing I've ever put in my mouth.

Hell, even the word for tomato in Serbian (or Croatian) is pronounced "paradise"
..and - I shit you not - it is.

kari
05-12-2014, 01:56 PM
Those huge juicy genetically modified raspberries. I could eat bucketloads of them.

skip
05-12-2014, 02:30 PM
We (Californians) definitely have some of the very best produce on the planet. As a kid I couldn't figure out why everyone didn't love fruits and vegetables until I left the state and discovered what they were forced to deal with as fruits and vegetables.

Iina
05-12-2014, 02:45 PM
I'm partial to pineapples, but avocados are up there, along with jackfruit.

gator
05-12-2014, 02:47 PM
The pears off a tree in the backyard of a house on 3rd Street in Vancouver. No idea what the cultivar was but definitely not something that's commercially available. They looked kind of scabby and ugly but inside they were bursting with flavour that caused me a lot of cognitive dissonance that I was eating a pear.

gator
05-12-2014, 02:52 PM
We (Californians) definitely have some of the very best produce on the planet. As a kid I couldn't figure out why everyone didn't love fruits and vegetables until I left the state and discovered what they were forced to deal with as fruits and vegetables.

The stuff that California exports is definitely not the stuff they eat themselves. That's why California's got a reputation for producing so much tasteless produce that you only eat because it's preferable to starving. It's so weird to go to California and bite into a tomato that actually tastes like a tomato, because "California tomato" to me means hard, light pinkish fruit that tastes like mildly acidic water.

floid
05-12-2014, 03:09 PM
The stuff that California exports is definitely not the stuff they eat themselves. That's why California's got a reputation for producing so much tasteless produce that you only eat because it's preferable to starving. It's so weird to go to California and bite into a tomato that actually tastes like a tomato, because "California tomato" to me means hard, light pinkish fruit that tastes like mildly acidic water.

That's generally true of most exported produce.

Gustability is inversely proportionate to shipability and shelf life in many cases.

Another good reason to be a locavore.

Faust
05-12-2014, 04:59 PM
Haskap (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lonicera_caerulea) berriies (Lonicera caerulea).
I grow the Borealis and Cinderella cultivars.
Looks like an oblong blueberry and tastes like nothing else I've tried.
Being a type of honeysuckle with a bush habit it also grows almost anywhere with minimal care and is, they say, one of the most nutritious natural sweets around.

http://haskap.ca/wp-content/themes/haskapca/images/haskap_berry.jpg

WHAT that looks amazing. Blueberries are incidentally my favorite.

jyng1
05-12-2014, 06:50 PM

A lot of fruit is picked green, which is probably why your pear tasted so good; it was probably tree ripened.

I was thinking about the best fruit the other day as it's Fejoia season and I stole some of off the neighbours hedge.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_sMTddcDGGWQ/S_i0FGzU7vI/AAAAAAAAAJQ/S6wTZECDKf4/s400/feijoa.jpg

I'm a little partial to Kiwi Gold as well, although they've been hit pretty hard by the Psa virus and aren't around as much any more.

http://www.wilsonsfruit.com.au/media/uploads/goldkiwifruit.jpg

notdavidlynch
05-12-2014, 06:53 PM
Out of curiosity, how much do you pay for a pound of the tangerines you mentioned?

They're 3.39/lb at the overpriced local co-op.

I get a lot for free from Food Not Bombs donations.

Fitz
05-12-2014, 07:44 PM
ice cream bananas

or

cherimoyas

gator
05-12-2014, 08:42 PM
A lot of fruit is picked green, which is probably why your pear tasted so good; it was probably tree ripened.

They took about three weeks to ripen on my counter. I think it's more likely that it was a cultivar that is not commercially available because the fruit was really ugly.

starla
05-12-2014, 08:46 PM
I am a big fan of the Rio Red Star grapefruit when it's in season. I don't know if I'd say it's the best fruit on the planet though. But I didn't even like grapefruit until I had one of those.

Roger Mexico
05-13-2014, 04:33 AM
I'm getting very attached to mangos. (They grow everywhere here--hell, they're falling off a tree on the lot next door to me.)

Some kind of jackpot balance of sweet, sour, and savory, and like combining the best parts of an apple or pear with the best parts of a citrus fruit. I'm trying to think of another fruit I like this much, as I'm not very particular about fruit, but nothing is coming to mind at the moment.

Mangos are awesome.

The most common variety here seem to be Lancetilla (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lancetilla), which combine deliciousness with the also advantageous trait of being gigantic. There are several different kinds regularly available, though, and I like them all.

Madrigal
05-13-2014, 06:03 AM
Oranges. Simple, ordinary, popular. A world without orange juice makes no sense. Any other fruit juice is just overcomplicating things. Just seeing the color orange makes me thirsty, similarly to how green relaxes me or yellow cheers me up.

They also don't rhyme with anything. Oranges don't give a shit.

jyng1
05-13-2014, 06:13 AM
Oranges. Simple, ordinary, popular. A world without orange juice makes no sense. Any other fruit juice is just overcomplicating things. Just seeing the color orange makes me thirsty, similarly to how green relaxes me or yellow cheers me up.

Oranges are often disappointing. Especially imported oranges like Australian and Californian. I don't know how old they are when they're offered for sale, but I think an average of 9-14 months like apples perhaps?

Madrigal
05-13-2014, 06:20 AM
Oranges are often disappointing. Especially imported oranges like Australian and Californian. I don't know how old they are when they're offered for sale, but I think an average of 9-14 months like apples perhaps?

No idea. Genetically modified shit can be disappointing though. I like the small ones with thin skin, they're juicier. I don't like sweets, so if I ever need some sugar right away, eating one of those makes everything better.

jyng1
05-13-2014, 06:28 AM
Genetically modified shit can be disappointing though.

Hmm... almost all fruit is genetically modified. I don't think you could even find an original banana as it was around before the cultivation of rice.

mondschein
05-13-2014, 12:58 PM
Hmm... almost all fruit is genetically modified. I don't think you could even find an original banana as it was around before the cultivation of rice.

Where did you get that information? I want to know if the bananas I grow in my backyard are GMOs.

Roger Mexico
05-13-2014, 01:24 PM

Someone was just telling me about the fungal outbreak in the 1950's which virtually wiped out the dominant Gros Michel (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gros_Michel_banana) variety of banana, leading to its becoming a relative rarity after the Cavendish variety replaced it as a the most widely consumed.

So bananas aren't even the same thing now--for most people--as they were 100 years ago.

Are you including domestication and cross-breeding as genetic modification? (Which I think is an accurate thing to do.) I know the wild ancestors of modern oranges were small and bitter with a hard rind covered in large spines. Bit of a change there.

skip
05-13-2014, 08:18 PM

Oranges as the honeybadger of the produce world... Hm.

It's a funny thing about orange juice: freshly squeezed it's one of my favorite flavors in the world but I absolutely cannot drink processed orange juice. It tastes like poison to me.

Senseye
05-13-2014, 08:30 PM
There are so many good fruits out there.

I eat mostly bananas and apples as staples.

But grapes, blueberries, strawberries, mandarin oranges, and watermelon are great treats (along with many others).

One of life's great disappointments to me is the apparent demise of the good old basic watermelon (those big oblong ones with the black seeds). Local stores don't seem to get those anymore. All I can find is those bland, roundish, "seedless" varieties. Vastly inferior.

notdavidlynch
05-13-2014, 08:30 PM
Why would you eat an orange when you can eat a tangerine?

My boss at work is always giving me the oranges that he grows in his orchard. I usually just let em rot because I ask the above question all the time and almost always opt for the pixie tangerines.

gator
05-13-2014, 11:42 PM
I really enjoy the delicate flavour of perfectly ripe apricots. Not something I really appreciated until I was an adult.

Hephaestus
05-14-2014, 12:06 AM
Apricots are tricky. They have a very unusual and almost rotten flavour. This can be very offputting, especially if you have the option of peaches or nectarines.

Qua ugly pears: the very best strawberries I ever had in my life were locally grown and hideous. But they recalibrated my expectations of what a strawberry could taste like. I've never found their equal--even among locally grown strawberries!

My favorite pears (thus far) are good pyrus pyrifolia. They're firmer than bartlett, and taste like a goddam rainbow.

Light Leak
05-14-2014, 12:31 PM
I love pears, but I have bad luck picking out good ones and then I end up with ones that are kind of mealy and tasteless. There's probably a trick to it and I just don't know it.

I also like pineapple and berries. I'm not going to name all the berries that I like.

jyng1
05-24-2014, 07:34 AM
Peacherine... fuck yeah!!

http://stoneyacres.blogtown.co.nz/files/2012/02/Peacherine-Feb2012-SA.jpg

last_caress
05-24-2014, 07:43 AM
strawberries dipped in sugar.

mthomps
05-25-2014, 11:42 AM
I love blueberries so much I eat like a pound of them a week.

Faust
05-25-2014, 02:01 PM
I love blueberries so much I eat like a pound of them a week.

ditto

msg_v2
05-26-2014, 06:00 PM
Peacherine... fuck yeah!!

http://stoneyacres.blogtown.co.nz/files/2012/02/Peacherine-Feb2012-SA.jpg

It looks like a butt.

I know where service berries grow around my apartment, because I saw an old hippie picking them and asked him what plants they were. In a month or two, they should be out.

Paul
08-07-2014, 07:21 AM
I think apple is best out of all fruits. It has a number of benefits for the health and fitness.
It plays an important role in maintaining a good health and fighting against the diseases.
I would say it a super foods for our health.

EDITED: SPAM LINK REMOVED

jyng1
08-07-2014, 07:50 AM
I think apple is best out of all fruits. It has a number of benefits for the health and fitness.
It plays an important role in maintaining a good health and fighting against the diseases.
I would say it a super foods for our health.

So can a bot give a description of all the benefits for the health and fitness? What about detailing the role in maintaining good health and fighting against diseases?

I'm willing to be impressed.

stuck
08-07-2014, 05:26 PM
cherimoyas

durian is really amazing if you can deal with the rotting corpse smell

flurps
08-07-2014, 05:45 PM
Mangosteen, kind of like durian except it tastes like fruit instead of fucking slow roasted dogshit.

stuck
08-07-2014, 05:56 PM
slow roasted dogshit.

My intuition tells me this would taste like beef jerky

Osito Polar
08-07-2014, 06:07 PM
Mango. Mangos are hands down the best fruit. I like Apple mangos, Kent mangos, champagne mangos ... honestly, they're all pretty good. Mangos are nature's perfect food.

jigglypuff
08-07-2014, 06:50 PM
It looks like a butt.
http://munchies.vice.com/articles/chinas-peach-panties-creator-thinks-most-fruit-are-sexy-butts/

it's genius for its simplicity.

Fitz
08-07-2014, 06:58 PM
http://munchies.vice.com/articles/chinas-peach-panties-creator-thinks-most-fruit-are-sexy-butts/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6MZhaX8P3W8

msg_v2
08-08-2014, 03:07 PM

That looks obscene, and NSFW.

Recently, I've discovered the joy of eating dates.

Bartender
08-08-2014, 03:16 PM
Tomatos because without them sandwiches would suck. I could live in a world without other fruit but a life full of disappointing sandwiches, no ketchup nor any tomato based sauce is not a world I want to live in.

lbloom
08-08-2014, 06:48 PM
I savor most fruit. Some of the best things about being alive.

For today, I'll draw attention to the pluot.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/2/23/Raspberry_jewel_pluot.jpg

Osito Polar
08-08-2014, 09:40 PM
I absolutely love pluots. They're amazing. Of course, I also like plums and apricots.

At the farmer's markets around here, there's generally no fewer than four or five different varieties of pluots for sale.

If you live on the east coast, the same varieties of fruit are sometimes called plumcots or pluquots.

Oh ... I just looked this up. Plumcots and pluots are different families which are both plum/apricot hybrids, but from different families.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pluot#Pluot_varieties

Perdix
08-13-2014, 05:22 PM
Seedless pomegranates.

http://www.theresearchpedia.com/sites/default/files/health%20benefits/Pomegranate.jpg

stigmatica
08-13-2014, 05:25 PM
Wait, there's such a thing as a SEEDLESS pomegranate? Holy shit! The quest to find begins now.

Perdix
08-13-2014, 06:05 PM
Wait, there's such a thing as a SEEDLESS pomegranate? Holy shit! The quest to find begins now.

Well, the name seedless isn't accurate, their seeds are very soft and edible.

Osito Polar
08-13-2014, 06:06 PM

They're seedless in name only. The seeds are just somewhat softer than the normal ones.

stigmatica
08-13-2014, 06:10 PM
Stupid reality. Never the less, I must try this soft seed variety.

lbloom
08-17-2014, 05:23 AM
I've recently discovered Thomcord grapes.

Sloth
08-22-2014, 02:38 AM
Mango. Mangos are hands down the best fruit. I like Apple mangos, Kent mangos, champagne mangos ... honestly, they're all pretty good. Mangos are nature's perfect food.

Yeah I'm gonna have to agree. This one definitely goes to the mangos.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-q8mLxdekkJE/T5ZquXgfM1I/AAAAAAAADqo/oyxJ21EfrLg/s1600/+Mango+Are+Smoking+Funny+Picture+(1).jpg

Fitz
08-22-2014, 02:44 AM
mangos and weed are pretty snazzy together

Hephaestus
08-22-2014, 06:56 AM
mangos and weed are pretty snazzy together
Guava too--or at least guava flavored shisha. I'll have to try mango some day, but it makes sense.

Are you talking about making a disposable pipe from the mango? I can see how they would stellar for that.

Madrigal
08-22-2014, 07:30 AM
Weird fanatacism over mangos.

I do like them, and I have nice memories of them. I used to have three mango trees growing up, two were the smaller, stringy kind they called "horse mango" and another was the more internationally known one, the bigger kind. I used to climb the mango trees and sit there when I wanted to be alone, I also used to read there. I liked to throw fallen mangos up in the air at dusk, when the bats were out, and watch them swoop down to follow the mango's trajectory (no, I didn't have TV there). And I used to eat them all the time. But after you've eaten a lot of mangos, you start to realize they are slimy - even when you're drinking mango juice, the texture is just too thick - and they're not quite acidic enough. They seem to taunt you into thinking they're acidic, but they're not really. They are not citrus fruits. That's their problem. You can't beat citric acid when it comes to quenching thirst.

I find that mango + passion fruit makes an amazing juice. They're both thick and non-citric, but passion fruit is way too acidic on its own, so it adds the necessary acid to the blend to counterbalance the slimeyness. If you drink it really cold, even half-frosted, it's much better, because nothing is worse than something warm and slimy. If you like mango, you will love a frosty mango + passion fruit drink. It's perfection.

Of course, I don't have that kind of money, time or sophistication, so orange juice takes care of all my sweet and sour needs. It won't let you down, even when it's not cold.

Fitz
08-22-2014, 05:02 PM
Guava too--or at least guava flavored shisha. I'll have to try mango some day, but it makes sense.

Are you talking about making a disposable pipe from the mango? I can see how they would stellar for that.

allegedly some chemical in mangoes does some magical shit and gets you higher if you smoke after eating some. I don't know if it works but I'm always stoked to have some mangoes around during the process because they're fucking tasty. Although they're like the worst fucking fruit to prepare.

oh god, i hate guavas, we had a bunch of guava trees growing up and the smell of them is revolting.

jigglypuff
08-31-2014, 07:37 AM
my famz has starfruit growing in our backyard... so so juicy and good. the baby fruits are adorable but they grow in bunches and you gotta weed a bunch off to get the best fruit.

i also tried passionfruit (!) today, which is also growing in our yard. i had no idea of its real/"pure" fruit flavor admittedly and now can appreciate passionfruit-flavored things so much more. it's very sweet, tangy and somewhat strong (idk how to describe it), and would be good for drinks/smoothies.