PDA

View Full Version : ophthalmoplegic migraine

INTP_Polly
06-21-2014, 09:21 AM
Twice this year I had this weird thing happen with my vision. Both episodes only lasted about 30 minutes. Essentially the issue was I saw an arch made out of prisms of light that caused enough blindness that I couldn't type. Fortunately I wasn't driving or anything that was so dangerous that I required my vision either time. I had no headache or anything. The arch with prisms was still there when I closed my eyes and it didn't matter which eye I covered.

I had an eye appointment yesterday so got a the full gambit of tests. I asked the doctor and was told I was experiencing an ophthalmoplegic migraine. It is a migraine that may or may not be painful. It is not common but nothing to worry about. I looked some stuff up and I'm still a little concerned. Has anyone heard of/experienced an ophthalmoplegic migraine?

Sappho
06-21-2014, 09:59 AM
Don't worry, it's a rather common side effect of migraines. I had several episodes of the same thing a few years ago during a time of intense stress and nigh-desperation. Not always accompanied by a headache either, but always these strange visual arches:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/b/b0/Migraine_aura.jpg/700px-Migraine_aura.jpg

...which would form a full circle after a while and effectively hinder me from seeing anything clearly. – I was freaked out somewhat and was rather angry when the doctor told me to "just take a paracetamol and lie down". The diagnosis, as I later found out, was "atypical migraine", and sure enough, they became a lot better when I adhered to the doctor's advice. After a while I was fine when taking some painkiller during the onset; and once my living situation improved and I was out of that hellhole that caused the ailment in the first place, the migraines stopped altogether. I haven't had an episode since.

Perhaps you've been under a lot of stress lately?

INTP_Polly
06-21-2014, 10:17 AM

Thank you. That was a far better explanation than I got from the doctor. I suppose I have had a stressful year now that I think about it. OK I'm now going to stop thinking about it because its making stressed.

last_caress
06-21-2014, 02:56 PM
I don't know that I've experienced that particular kind as I get no optical problems except substantial auras. got a couple a few years back for no apparent reason. used to get them a lot in my teens. there's no way I could drive during one. fortunately the auras only last about 30 minutes.

OrionzRevenge
06-21-2014, 03:37 PM
I had my first ophthalmoplegic migraine 20 years ago while at work alone and it freaked me out. The other symptoms that often follow the visual disturbance occurred about tens minutes after the vision cleared and were the worst yet that I have encountered to date. (Headache in the Hatband area of the skull, nausea, disorientation, and muscle fatigue ~ kinda like being nearly sick drunk) I was really frightened wondering wtf and made internet inquiries at a doctors forum (MDs online I think???) to become educated.

The frequency has changed for better & worse over the years but about once a month is a nice ballpark estimate.

Also, those secondary symptoms waned to the point where I hardly experience them now.

Good Luck.

EDIT: For me the lights are like the jagged half ring in Sappho's pic without and auras. the half ring starts at the center of view and I typically become aware that my vision seems blurred before I'm aware of the prismatic light. Over about 10 minutes the half ring expands outward until it exits view at the periphery.

For me it is a single jagged half band mostly bright white with flickers of color. Akin to the effect of waving splayed fingers before a florescent lamp.

INTP_Polly
06-21-2014, 04:05 PM
Yeah Sappho's pic is very close to what I saw. Just maybe not the white light although what is going on has the same affect as if I camera just flashed in my eyes around the flickering prism. It doesn't become a circle, the arch just gets bigger. It feels like its my left eye and eventually I lose about 35-40% of my vision.

I'm glad I'm not alone. I had never heard of this before. I associate migraine with pain but I have no other symptoms. I've never heard of a painless migraine before. The doctor said just be happy I'm not getting the other symptoms along with it. I guess they can be really horrible.

LordLatch
06-21-2014, 04:12 PM
Don't worry, it's a rather common side effect of migraines. I had several episodes of the same thing a few years ago during a time of intense stress and nigh-desperation. Not always accompanied by a headache either, but always these strange visual arches:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/b/b0/Migraine_aura.jpg/700px-Migraine_aura.jpg

...which would form a full circle after a while and effectively hinder me from seeing anything clearly. – I was freaked out somewhat and was rather angry when the doctor told me to "just take a paracetamol and lie down". The diagnosis, as I later found out, was "atypical migraine", and sure enough, they became a lot better when I adhered to the doctor's advice. After a while I was fine when taking some painkiller during the onset; and once my living situation improved and I was out of that hellhole that caused the ailment in the first place, the migraines stopped altogether. I haven't had an episode since.

I call them white lines of triangular fire because of the way they oscillate. I get them on the right side 70% of the time and but they stay there whether I have both eyes open or not. Usually there a slight dizziness and I get a little stupider. Confusing words a little.

Usually I lay down and close my eyes and they go away, but if they are accompanied by nausea I'm hosed for the next four hours unless I eat some Ibuprofen quickly in which case I'm only hosed for an hour.

I had one yesterday while I was driving home. I stopped and got an ice cream while it was happening. It was triggered going from outside to inside where I was working. I was still jacked up enough when I got home I referred to a record player as a sewing machine. I've had them happen when I work in the sun and the clouds pass over. Light changes.

lethe
06-21-2014, 08:12 PM
Eery.

I used to get migraines now and again, with visual auras and smells. After I took the depo birth control shot (hormonal) which had a warning not to use if you get some types of visual auras, the pain part of the migraine stopped.

I'm not sure if they are exactly the same thing you are experiencing. My doctor told me it was simply a migraine without the pain. My visual auras are surprisingly similar to the picture and those described.

The vibrating squiggles are smaller scaled and darker, blocking the vision, and complete a full circle. Starts as a dot in the center of my vision then gradually rings out like a doughnut until eventually disappearing in the periphery. I suspect its usually in one eye, but it's hard to tell because it stays even with eyes closed.

I get my other traditional migraine symptoms; occasional nausea, a sense of unreality, spaciness, phantom scents, dizziness, sensitivity to light, a "tight" feeling beforehand and a "loose, floating" feeling after. The visual lasts anywhere from half hour to two hours while the rest of the process takes most the day.

Honestly, I just try to ignore them. I assumed my migraines were related to stress and hormones and they had somehow been altered. Whenever it happens it only reminds me to be thankful I somehow eliminated the terrible pain I would otherwise be feeling right then. But I heard it was rare and thought I had a strange quirk. It's surprising to see how many here experience the same thing.

Sappho
06-21-2014, 08:23 PM
I think the worst things about migraines aren't the visions, the aches, or even the nausea, but that the following day, you feel as if you'd got run over by a truck.

LordLatch
06-21-2014, 08:32 PM
Yeah but it was a pretty truck.

Dakkar
06-21-2014, 08:33 PM
I've experienced something similar several times during the last year. In my case it's almost as if the visual field is folded at the rift and a significant portion of the image is missing. It typically lasts 15-30 minutes and even though it is more than a little disconcerting, I haven't bothered to visit an M.D. yet...

It seems odd that so many here have experienced this.

"Ophthalmoplegic migraine is very rare, with an incidence rate of .7 per million people annually". (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Ifreckle/Ophthalmoplegic_Migraine)

OrionzRevenge
06-21-2014, 09:14 PM
I've experienced something similar several times during the last year. In my case it's almost as if the visual field is folded at the rift and a significant portion of the image is missing. It typically lasts 15-30 minutes and even though it is more than a little disconcerting, I haven't bothered to visit an M.D. yet...

"Ophthalmoplegic migraine is very rare, with an incidence rate of .7 per million people annually". (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Ifreckle/Ophthalmoplegic_Migraine)

Seeing the rarity of the stated condition, I knew something was amiss.

I have to confess to ignorantly agreeing with the titled affliction and simply assumed "Ophthalmoplegic" meant the presence of Auras or Scintillating Scotoma (Jagged flickering semi-circle of light).

Migraines with the symptoms described by the posters here are rather common. Also, in trying to figure out my mistake, I found your stated flavor of Aura.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Migraine

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/d/da/Gesichtsfeldausfall_%28Brandenburger_Tor_Blaue_Stu nde%29_1.jpg/150px-Gesichtsfeldausfall_%28Brandenburger_Tor_Blaue_Stu nde%29_1.jpg

INTP_Polly
06-21-2014, 09:34 PM
Seeing the rarity of the stated condition, I knew something was amiss.

I have to confess to ignorantly agreeing with the titled affliction and simply assumed "Ophthalmoplegic" meant the presence of Auras or Scintillating Scotoma (Jagged flickering semi-circle of light).

Migraines with the symptoms described by the posters here are rather common. Also, in trying to figure out my mistake, I found your stated flavor of Aura.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Migraine

Ok, now that I'm reading this I'm thinking I may have been misdiagnosed. The description of:

Scintillating Scotoma (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scintillating_scotoma)

Seems to fit far better. This picture looks similar to what I've been experiencing but the image I see is more pronounced as flickering prisms.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/1/1b/Aura_ss.jpg

I didn't go to the doctor for that purpose. It was a routine visit to get my eyes checked. Well I shouldn't say routine, the last time I had my eyes checked was in 2007. I just finally got my hiney in gear to do it.

Vison
06-21-2014, 11:52 PM
There is also a possibility some of the people in this thread are experiencing an Ophthalmic Migraine (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Retinal_migraine).

I get these sometimes. The first time I lost vision really quickly and ended up stumbling the few blocks to the emergency room. Sudden, painless blindness without precedent seemed like a possible emergency. They did an ultrasound on my eyeballs to make sure I didn't have a detached retina and Ophthalmic Migraine was the diagnoses.

Eye ultrasounds are weirdly intimate.

Sistamatic
06-22-2014, 03:30 AM

Wow...that is an amazing stat. I know that neuroscientists have proposed that one of several mutations in the voltage gated calcium ion channels of the brain cells is a necessary, but not a sufficient condition for the migraines typified by a self propagating wave of depolarization, which is the sort that produces this visual effect. I looked into it after the first time it happened to me. For me, it looks like I'm seeing through a prism, and has so far been unilateral, and always to the left side. Sometimes it is followed by loss of feeling that starts in my scalp and travels through my face, and into my arm on the same side as the visual anomaly.

Since the voltage gated calcium ion channels are quite fundamental elements of the brain, one wonders if a mutation affecting them in such a way as to cause one to tend toward this self propagating depressive waves across the cerebral cortex might be also associated with certain suites of personality traits, which might account for the concentration of people with this issue on a forum that selects preferentially for people with those traits. INTP is the rarest of the types, though I do not like the idea of having my personality labeled as a disorder, lol.

Other possibilities include rampant misdiagnosis interfering with the accuracy of the statistic, or the fact that many people don't go to the doctor for it. I went, but not for it...just mentioned it while there for something else. Not sure if that would make it into a statistic.

Anyway, if you are curious, here is a paper with a biblio that could get you started: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22991044

And here is a little bit about the gene that has the potential mutation: http://ghr.nlm.nih.gov/gene/CACNA1A

Hephaestus
06-22-2014, 03:47 AM
I've never had auras or visual indicators of migraines other than photophobia. The only warning I get is things that should smell good smell overwhelming and awful--like fresh poop on the sidewalk in winter. As in, this thing should smell good but I'm reacting as if it were fresh poop on the sidewalk in winter.

Then photophobia.

Then pain and the intense need to not exist for a little while.

Light Leak
06-22-2014, 04:04 AM
I've never had any auras or visual disturbances. I always find it interesting when people do. I know some people who do have the auras and they always talk about taking medication for the migraines as soon as they see the auras so they can try to prevent the pain. A warning sign like that would be handy. I'm never sure it's actually a migraine until my head hurts. Sometimes I feel sort of goofy beforehand, almost like I'm experiencing a sugar high or something. I never think that feeling is a warning sign until my head starts hurting later.