PDA

View Full Version : Little successes that don't deserve their own thread

gator
07-13-2014, 08:57 PM
Because we don't spend enough time chalking up little wins.

gator
07-13-2014, 08:58 PM
Today I successfully removed the oil stain from a brand new dress that I spilled salad dressing on.

ferrus
07-13-2014, 09:47 PM
I got a new boiler this week with minimal frustration. And the plumber didn't damage my telescope either.

ACow
07-13-2014, 10:02 PM
Shotguns to the face don't always end as well as you'd think. Just sayin...

edit: lol - wrong thread. Mods can delete if they want...or they can leave it there because its awesome.

Perdix
07-13-2014, 10:23 PM
Got back from the range a few hours ago and managed 5" groupings at 200 yards with an iron ghost sight, still got it :).

jigglypuff
07-14-2014, 05:37 PM
my new year's resolution was kind of a crapshoot, but it turns out i didn't fail on it. makes me feel insecure somehow.

Madrigal
07-14-2014, 11:08 PM
I learned to turn on the boiler. I feel like an independent woman now.

gator
07-15-2014, 07:11 AM
Got over the frustrating little wall I'd hit in duolingo.

Finished sewing in the ends of a sweater.

rincon
07-15-2014, 08:10 AM
Got back from the range a few hours ago and managed 5" groupings at 200 yards with an iron ghost sight, still got it :).

Very tempted to call bullshit-- using which rifle? What type of ammo? Under what conditions?

Fitz
07-15-2014, 08:46 AM
i took a shower today. it was great.

Perdix
07-15-2014, 06:19 PM
Very tempted to call bullshit-- using which rifle? What type of ammo? Under what conditions?

Mini 14 with a 20" polychrome match barrel, .223 ASYM Match Grade 75gr. OTM (BTHP), high 60's low 70's arid environment without much wind.

rincon
07-19-2014, 08:49 AM
Mini 14 with a 20" polychrome match barrel, .223 ASYM Match Grade 75gr. OTM (BTHP), high 60's low 70's arid environment without much wind.

I don't know you, let alone have any way of evaluating your marksmanship skills. I do know that the vast majority of people, even counting gun owners, couldn't manage 5" groups at 200 yards even with a match-grade bolt action with a 10x optical scope. Let alone a Ruger with a semiautomatic action and iron sights.

Regardless, I don't mean to create any issue with you in particular. I have had experience with several internet personas that boasted fallaciously about their firearms skills, so forgive my skepticism..

Perdix
07-19-2014, 08:49 PM
I don't know you, let alone have any way of evaluating your marksmanship skills. I do know that the vast majority of people, even counting gun owners, couldn't manage 5" groups at 200 yards even with a match-grade bolt action with a 10x optical scope. Let alone a Ruger with a semiautomatic action and iron sights.

Regardless, I don't mean to create any issue with you in particular. I have had experience with several internet personas that boasted fallaciously about their firearms skills, so forgive my skepticism..

I completely understand your skepticism, and also don't want to create an issue because you seem like a cool member; here's my backstory that explains a bit.

I became an expert marksman at 16 during my time in a MCJROTC boarding school, it was my escape from physical abuse at first (the first few months, basic training), every day for five hours after I finished school I went to the gun range (first gun issued was an anschutz). To advance (after I graduated and was promoted to corporal) I participated in AMS (advanced military skills) training for two months before I qualified and got the privilege to practice long range target shooting using a Remington 700 (with and without optics)... I was on track to become a drill instructor on my return from christmas leave but decided against returning as I would be under orders to break children until they conformed within the school; there are two DI designations, intimidator and teacher, I was designated a hybrid by my CO as I was generally non-violent, a fast learner, and intelligent --- relative to my surrounding peers; but choked someone out in a classroom and threw him into a wall in the middle of a JROTC tactics seminar for screwing with my friend. I digress, but my point is that where I was located anything went, I saw my best friend tied down to a chair and tasered repeatedly by a DI until he could barely move; I was to fill his place, but was outraged at the unethical treatment of children. I had to undergo the same treatment as well, but I followed orders and only got the occasional kick to the chest and kidney punch; the real torture was in extenuated physical training. Why do I bring this up? Because I would have been subjugated to the same intense involuntary PT if I didn't maintain my status as an expert marksman on my team of six. Shooting wasn't just fun, it was a matter of survival for me. After I left and tried to integrate with society I was offered a position to train on the junior olympic riflery team and participated briefly, but left after a few weeks because the range brought back memories and was a serious PTSD trigger. So that's my story on how I became a good shot...

A quote from the first sergeant that trained me: "A scope is a crutch for a man that can't shoot."

I know the mini-14 stock is a far cry accuracy wise from the 700, but with upgrades and a good gunsmith it can be improved dramatically. The ammo was designed specifically for the barrel, 1 in 8" aftermarket barrel twist rate vs stock 1 in 10", this insures the bullet is stabilized properly.

I kind of cheated by lying prone, sandbagging the barrel and having a bipod, but it still counts, right?

I can pull 10" groupings with a base AR15 platform (ghost sights) at 200 yards as well, all it takes is patience and control of your breathing for the right shot; well that and a huge amount of other factors. I'll make a video the next time I go to the range...

LordLatch
07-20-2014, 03:28 PM
I was a corporal also.

Thevenin
07-20-2014, 06:11 PM
"A scope is a crutch for a man that can't shoot."

What a moron. A scope is a tool to kill more effectively.

rincon
07-20-2014, 09:36 PM
I completely understand your skepticism

OK, given your explanation I believe you. Very impressive.

I know the mini-14 stock is a far cry accuracy wise from the 700, but with upgrades and a good gunsmith it can be improved dramatically. The ammo was designed specifically for the barrel, 1 in 8" aftermarket barrel twist rate vs stock 1 in 10", this insures the bullet is stabilized properly.

Mini-14s (stock) are notoriously inaccurate, which is a big part of the reason my bullshit detector went off. Pretty awesome that you got it to shoot so well. What kind of groups do you think it's capable of with a scope?

I kind of cheated by lying prone, sandbagging the barrel and having a bipod, but it still counts, right?

Not cheating at all. I was expecting you to have been shooting from a bench/benchrest.

LordLatch
07-21-2014, 03:24 AM
I got a section of the carhole clean which has never been so! I promptly planted a computer there. I should post a picture.

msg_v2
07-21-2014, 07:20 AM
I finally got rid of some recycling! And it only took me 15 minutes.

Hephaestus
07-21-2014, 08:51 AM
A scope is a tool to kill more effectively.

I agree. But, he might agree with that too. Or at least, the person who said it first might.

"A scope is a crutch for a man that can't shoot."

This is true--if a person can't use iron sights, then a scope is a crutch in much the same way an automatic transmission is a crutch for people who can't drive stick. But, if a man can shoot, then a scope is still a useful tool. It can let you hit targets you can no longer see with the naked eye, and place your hits on targets you can see with greater precision.

Light Leak
07-21-2014, 12:11 PM
Survived a visit from my parents and grandparents and got a room in my house painted at the same time.

LordLatch
07-21-2014, 02:25 PM
Survived a visit from my parents and grandparents and got a room in my house painted at the same time.

Swoosh- Nothin but net.

Light Leak
07-21-2014, 03:09 PM
Swoosh- Nothin but net.

Yeah... headaches were also part of that net. That part is not exactly a success.

LordLatch
07-21-2014, 03:14 PM
Yeah... headaches were also part of that net. That part is not exactly a success.

But.. it's over!

gator
07-22-2014, 03:43 AM
I blocked two new sweaters I finished knitting a while ago. Now I can start wearing them! (Well, one of them I have to put away until winter)

lethe
07-23-2014, 06:28 PM
HAHA!!!

FINALLY! Called credit card company to cancel the additional card I gave to my ex. I had the account frozen online early on and they make you call to do any actual cancelling so it was easy to put off for a long time.

I hate making phone calls. Don't know why, doesn't make any sense. I mean, I actually enjoy being polite to the phone workers and have never had any bad experiences. But in the face of an adult call I will vomit.

Really? Vomit? For a phone call? Who does that?
Me.

But it is done. In one masochistic flurry of productivity I activated all cards, lowered a rate, braved high pressure about a "credit insurance", talked to my bank, and cancelled an additional credit card.

I think I'm going to go cancel my old gym membership now...

Madrigal
07-23-2014, 09:41 PM
HAHA!!!

FINALLY! Called credit card company to cancel the additional card I gave to my ex. I had the account frozen online early on and they make you call to do any actual cancelling so it was easy to put off for a long time.

You're inspiring me to cancel the one I gave my ex 3 years ago. It's still active. :mellow:

lethe
07-23-2014, 10:02 PM
You're inspiring me to cancel the one I gave my ex 3 years ago. It's still active. :mellow:

Lol! Well, I highly recommend it. The feeling of satisfaction and cleanliness was greater than anticipated.

Hephaestus
07-24-2014, 01:10 AM
I had a cool dream. At one point, I was flying. Some tool in a crappy costume that vaguely resembled the Flash was tailing me. I hovered for a moment until he got close, grabbed him, and flung him over the horizon.

Within moments I found myself in the midst of a flying dogfight/fistfight. I charged an opponent from a quarter mile away and landed an enormously powerful punch. I was dropkicked in midair. I flung and was flung to the ground.

I don't rightly know why there was such a battle royale taking place, but I sure as hell had fun doing my part to keep it interesting.

As a side note: In another dream I stepped in warm vomit and felt it. I'm not saying this is a wondrous accomplishment, but it sure is an interesting one.

LordLatch
08-06-2014, 01:58 AM
My 'lawn' is mostly clovers and thistles but it's nice and lush and looks better than my neighbor's yard! I laugh at him when I see him working out there.

http://i.imgur.com/t7jFoeB.jpg?1
http://i.imgur.com/413ps5Y.jpg?1

Light Leak
08-06-2014, 02:10 AM
My 'lawn' is mostly clovers and thistles but it's nice and lush and looks better than my neighbor's yard!

Nothing wrong with clovers. Maybe you'll find a four leaf one. I found a five leaf clover once when I was a kid during gym class. We were playing kickball, but I was more interested in the ground.

MuseedesBeauxArts
08-06-2014, 02:37 AM
Running again consistently. Today is day 6.

El D.
08-08-2014, 06:56 AM
Crushed it at the go kart track

flurps
08-08-2014, 07:00 AM
I finally got a chance to drop acid and peaked while peeing watching the bubbles split into a 4-way inverted mirror effect while having no idea if I actually had to go to the bathroom or how to tell if I'd shit myself.

stuck
08-08-2014, 07:04 AM
:rofl:

Hephaestus
08-08-2014, 08:35 AM
Today, the subject of vichyssoise came up. I'd never heard the word. After learning the word, I and The Boy began making jokes about how it sounded: vee-shee-swah. I won.

"Is that a Q-tip with spikes in it?"

He was drinking water. He should have known better. He had to run to the sink.

So, now I've caused everyone in his immediate family to laugh while drinking and have their beverage come out their nose.

pensive_pilgrim
08-08-2014, 11:31 PM
I just got the "congratulations" email. I got into that internship program. Two six-month internships guaranteed to pay about double what I used to make as a line cook, and it's pretty much certain that when I graduate I'll have at least one good job offer. It's insane to think that a few years ago I was struggling to get by and worrying about being homeless again.

Hermione
08-08-2014, 11:36 PM
I just got the "congratulations" email. I got into that internship program. Two six-month internships guaranteed to pay about double what I used to make as a line cook, and it's pretty much certain that when I graduate I'll have at least one good job offer. It's insane to think that a few years ago I was struggling to get by and worrying about being homeless again.

:applause: Bravo. Sounds perfect.

Hephaestus
08-09-2014, 12:01 AM
Two six-month internships guaranteed to pay...
Woot. Chuffed for yah. Not just internships but paid internships.

starla
08-09-2014, 02:39 AM
Applied for six jobs. There was even one or two I'd be excited about in there.

MuseedesBeauxArts
08-09-2014, 05:01 AM

Holy amazing! Congratulations!

gator
08-23-2014, 11:58 PM
Two related things:

After visits to four separate grocery stores I finally found some baking soda!

Then I took the baking soda and scrubbed the shit out of Starbuck's sink. I wish I'd taken before and after shots. It went from disgusting to sparkly and now I'm all proud of myself.

oxyjen
08-29-2014, 03:40 AM
I pestered my former landlords to acknowledge they owed us our security deposit.

Madrigal
08-29-2014, 10:31 AM
Blacked out in the middle of the street at midnight while going out for pizza. I still have all my organs.

kitsune
08-29-2014, 12:42 PM
^ Organs are good. Hope you also woke up wearing underwear.

I'm one of those photographers who pictures fall into a black hole never to be seen again. So, I'm proud of myself for posting on FaceBook today pictures of an exhibit I visited last night. Yeah me.

Hephaestus
08-29-2014, 05:00 PM
^ Organs are good. Hope you also woke up wearing underwear.

Whether this is a good thing is very context dependent. My first thought was: "What if she wasn't wearing underwear when she went out?". My second was "What if she was, but it wasn't the underwear she was wearing when she woke up?" Then I found myself wondering which was worse: to wake up wearing someone else's underwear, or to wake up wearing a different pair of her own underwear?

kitsune
08-29-2014, 07:15 PM
^ You've actually touched on a fear / story I heard as a teenager backpacking through Europe and which I have always wondered was true or urban legend. I was told to be careful while riding the train through Italy. That they smoke bombed an overnight train with sleeping gas and that two girls woke up robbed of all their valuables and wearing each others underwear.

To answer your question, I may not notice if I woke up wearing a different pair from my own underwear collection. I don't usually make a mental note of which ones I put on in the morning. They are in generic colorful random rotation. No patterns or anything. I don't try to match them to my socks or bra or anything like that.

Hephaestus
08-29-2014, 07:26 PM
^Aww shucks. Discovering I stumbled into an idiosyncratic phobia is now my second greatest random joy. It used to be awkward, but now I embrace my ability to find new and interesting ways to shove my foot in my mouth past the knee.

My biggest source of random joy is saying something that causes a person's beverage to come out their nose. Some people are more susceptible to my sense of irony and imagery than others. I've managed to nose snipe an entire family on a range of beverages from soft drinks to beer. I did feel a little bad about the coffee incident.

Third greatest random joy is to invoke a spit-take. It would logically be second, being that it's one step from coming out their nose, but sometimes I end up with spit on me. I will admit that it's almost even better than a nose spurt when they turn to the side to spit, and hit an innocent bystander. Bonus points if it's in the face, cleavage, or on a small child. I have caused all of these things. Good times.

kitsune
08-29-2014, 08:24 PM
^ If you've come this far, I think you should aim for a laugh-fart !

Madrigal
08-29-2014, 10:11 PM
Well, I was gonna joke about waking up in underwear after going out not wearing any, but that was quickly crushed by Hephy. I'm really too uptight not to wear underwear anyway.

Little success - I paid both my credit card debts which I had dragged along all year. I'm now ready to acquire more debt!! :soap: Maybe a trip or something.

(This is seriously my thought process, I'm basically hopeless.)

LordLatch
08-29-2014, 11:26 PM
Little success - I paid both my credit card debts which I had dragged along all year.

Woot! Big success! You rock!

Hephaestus
08-30-2014, 01:19 AM
Crushing underwear gags since 95.

Had a phone interview. Whee.

Madrigal
08-31-2014, 11:41 AM
I am cooking my shirt in the oven right now.

Well, technically this isn't a success because I don't know if it will work. But I needed a clean dry shirt for work today (I am a sucker that works on weekends), and I haven't had the time to wash my clothes this week.

ferrus
08-31-2014, 01:10 PM
I am cooking my shirt in the oven right now.

Well, technically this isn't a success because I don't know if it will work. But I needed a clean dry shirt for work today (I am a sucker that works on weekends), and I haven't had the time to wash my clothes this week.
I thought you were going to post about the Argentine president pitching the idea of moving the capital to Santiago del Estero. That Baron Haussman-esque trick usually means a government is worried.

Madrigal
08-31-2014, 01:36 PM
I thought you were going to post about the Argentine president pitching the idea of moving the capital to Santiago del Estero. That Baron Haussman-esque trick usually means a government is worried.

There was a recent Buenos Aires Herald editorial on it. The author said it made sense to have the capital at the main port of entry of european immigrants from 1850-1930 or so, but that most immigrants come from Latin America now and the new location would reflect that, as well as assigning a greater priority to the Pacific Rim, in his opinion. Anyway, I think it would be good, Argentina is too centralized.

And btw my shirt dried.

Utisz
08-31-2014, 11:59 PM
I cut my own hair today and the parts I can actually see in the mirror don't look too ridiculous.

It's sort of fun.

lethe
09-01-2014, 11:12 AM
I went to a party-party all by myself and didn't know a single person there. I socialized, didn't get wasted, and didn't get uncomfortable! I had forgotten how popular single girls are at those things.

It's tricky letting people buy drinks. I'm not really used to that, I've always taken turns buying or just gotten my own. I understand it's normal and I shouldn't feel uncomfortable if someone offers, but I kind of do. Then I also have to walk up to the bar with them (I keep an eye on my drink at all times, no exceptions) How do you do that smoothly? Or turn down the unasked-for shot or drink that yeah, you would like but can't take because you didn't see it come straight from the bartender?

Hephaestus
09-01-2014, 07:49 PM
How do you do that smoothly?
I would just say, "Sure, as long as I see the bartender pour it and they hand it directly to me. You may well be trustworthy, but if the shitbag rapists looked different, they'd never be successful, right?"

But I'm bigger and have a penis, so my view of the situation and options might be different.

That said, a buddy of mine who is bigger than I am (and at least as male) got roofied once. He described it as horrifying.

My point is, I've known plenty of men who refuse any beverage they didn't see made and handed to them. I've even known men who insist on bottled beer and refuse it unless they see it opened in front of them. So, if a female wanted to take such precautions, I don't think it would come across as unreasonable.

lethe
09-01-2014, 08:15 PM
Oh, no, it wouldn't be unreasonable at all. I would understand, even from a guy (that TOTALLY happens to guys, sometimes on accident, sometimes not)
And if anyone gave me a hassle or a funny look, I would consider that creepy.

It's just, that conversation is awkward or at least a downer. We all know and agree all the time that we should watch our drinks. But when someone is kind enough to offer me a drink I'd rather not take that moment to remind us all that there is an ever present danger, or that I have to consider them a potential threat. It's never just one sentence: the others are always quick to reassure me, insist on their understanding and applaud my wisdom, often there is mention of how prevalent that is or someone relates a story - I'd love there to be a "smoother" way to maneuver that situation. Just some automatic assumption, invite, or standard procedure to make it easy for us to protect ourselves without explaining why.

So far the best option I've had is to say, "Thank you so much! You know what? Let me walk with you/help you carry them back."

Hmm... it occurs to me that this isn't much different from condom use. The reason we need condoms is just as much of a downer and potential mood-ruiner, but they are now easy to bring up and mention without explanation - par for the course, almost. I imagine when they first started being used regularly/as a standard the "do you have a condom?" moment was more awkward. Perhaps the drink issue will take the same course? Perhaps I should just suck it up and announce my responsibility to combat the social avoidance?

Madrigal
09-01-2014, 11:54 PM
My point is, I've known plenty of men who refuse any beverage they didn't see made and handed to them. I've even known men who insist on bottled beer and refuse it unless they see it opened in front of them. So, if a female wanted to take such precautions, I don't think it would come across as unreasonable.

In my city it's an unspoken rule that a beverage be opened in front of a customer. You can have it returned if they don't. Mostly I think they're just trying to ensure they're getting the real thing and not an imitation, though.

Hephaestus
09-02-2014, 12:34 AM
In my city it's an unspoken rule that a beverage be opened in front of a customer. You can have it returned if they don't. Mostly I think they're just trying to ensure they're getting the real thing and not an imitation, though.

Ha. At least one of the guys I knew who demanded to see the bottle opened in front of him was making sure he was getting what he ordered and not some generic cheap shit from the tap. But enough of them were just plain paranoid, that the point stands.

Madrigal
09-02-2014, 04:37 AM
I had been deaf in one ear for a week and I was thinking I had a tumor by now. I put some warm olive oil in my ear and it was unclogged.

Weird not knowing where sounds come from.

msg_v2
09-02-2014, 04:51 AM
I had been deaf in one ear for a week and I was thinking I had a tumor by now. I put some warm olive oil in my ear and it was unclogged.

Weird not knowing where sounds come from.

They are transmitted through a medium like air.

Noir
09-02-2014, 04:55 AM
I've had a balance on my credit card for several years now. Just paid it off today.

lethe
09-02-2014, 05:02 AM
Congratulations! That must feel great!!

Noir
09-02-2014, 05:40 AM
Congratulations! That must feel great!!

It definitely does. This was kind of like the year that I finally decided to get my shit together (and now I'm trying to think of some extended metaphor using "shit" in the fecal sense as a unifying theme, and nothing particularly profound or coherent is coming to mind).

Also I'm back (I think), for what that's worth. I have a tendency to fall off the map around here once every month or three.

Utisz
09-03-2014, 04:24 AM
Today I found something called Keyboard Layout something or other.

Medium story medium, it lets you install new keyboard layouts for Windows.

So I had an Irish layout so when writing Spanish things like were simple with Alt Gr+vowel but for I had to google "n tilde" and copy and paste that mother fucker from the google results but no longer! Now I can just do Alt Gr + n like this: . And I rigged up Alt Gr + ? for and Alt Gr + ! for and I even went a bit crazy and mapped Alt Gr + < to and Alt Gr + > to and Alt Gr + v to and Alt Gr + V to in case I never need to quote something about penguins on the mailing list at work.

But there's still so many unmapped keys! I did Alt Gr + - for – and Alt Gr + Shift + - for —. Then I ran out of ideas. I was thinking of mapping some commonly typed passwords or my email address or whatever shit I commonly type to some open keys.

Take Alt Gr + j for example. Currently it does nothing. This is obviously not right. But what should Alt Gr + j do? Maybe math symbols. Thinking maybe I should map Alt Gr + p to the value of pi with as much decimal precision as possible in the character limit ... you just never know when that might come in handy.

(And before anyone says it, fuck you and your Alt codes. Ain't nobody got time for that.)

gator
09-30-2014, 08:31 PM
Today for dinner I made a proper omlette and didn't fuck it up.

jigglypuff
09-30-2014, 09:49 PM
Today for dinner I made a proper omlette and didn't fuck it up.
my "omelettes" all turn out scrambled, but really good scrambled. i could go on google and figure out what's wrong with my technique, but meh. i'm not totally into round flat foods (wtf?).

LordLatch
10-04-2014, 11:35 PM
When I was a child, I hated doing dishes so much it took me three hours and I would cry. Now because I worked as a dish washer at Denny's in my youth, no pile of dishes can intimidate me.

What I cry about now is doing taxes and I just got those sons-a-bitches done! Woot! I'm king of the world!

lethe
10-15-2014, 08:54 AM
Triple ones! Ha! I know weight itself doesn't much matter, but it's still exciting. I haven't been this small since high school. Except now I have boobs!

Utisz
10-16-2014, 02:43 AM
my "omelettes" all turn out scrambled, but really good scrambled. i could go on google and figure out what's wrong with my technique, but meh. i'm not totally into round flat foods (wtf?).

I only started the whole omelette business recently myself. The first time I did I sort of flipped half on top of the other half to make a semi-circle and then let it cook a bit more and then just flipped the semi-circle to the other side and cooked that a bit more. Technically speaking I fucked up because I did intend to turn the whole thing over but thinking about it a bit more later I realised fuck that. With the semi-circle technique the centre is still a little moist and you have more room on your plate for other things too. It just seems like the right way to do it.

The other day I cracked an egg and it had a double yolk. That reminded me of an old boyfriend of my older sister who used to bring my mother lots of eggs cause they had a chicken farm and as far as I remember the story all the eggs he brought us were double yolks and couldn't be sold at the market but I'm after googling it and it says that only like 1 in 1000 eggs is double-yolked and I remember he used to bring like a dozen every month or so ... which even if he gave us all the double-yolked eggs that his farm were producing, that would mean the farm was producing about 12,000 eggs per month, which sounds like a lot, or does it? I'm not sure but I could have sworn he brought us the eggs because they were double-yolked.

My sister dumped him a little while later.

NedLudd
10-16-2014, 02:50 AM
I only started the whole omelette business recently myself. The first time I did I sort of flipped half on top of the other half to make a semi-circle and then let it cook a bit more and then just flipped the semi-circle to the other side and cooked that a bit more. Technically speaking I fucked up because I did intend to turn the whole thing over but thinking about it a bit more later I realised fuck that. With the semi-circle technique the centre is still a little moist and you have more room on your plate for other things too. It just seems like the right way to do it.

yeah brah, you accidentally cooked an omelette correctly. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=57afEWn-QDg

Utisz
10-16-2014, 03:08 AM
yeah brah, you accidentally cooked an omelette correctly. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=57afEWn-QDg

I'd like to think I independently discovered the technique, a bit like Einstein and E = mc^2.

El D.
10-16-2014, 03:16 AM

The other day I cracked an egg and it had a double yolk. That reminded me of an old boyfriend of my older sister who used to bring my mother lots of eggs cause they had a chicken farm and as far as I remember the story all the eggs he brought us were double yolks and couldn't be sold at the market but I'm after googling it and it says that only like 1 in 1000 eggs is double-yolked and I remember he used to bring like a dozen every month or so ... which even if he gave us all the double-yolked eggs that his farm were producing, that would mean the farm was producing aboiut 12,000 eggs per month, which sounds like a lot, or does it? I'm not sure but I could have sworn he brought us the eggs because they were double-yolked.

My sister dumped him a little while later.

But if he did, how did he know?

Maybe it was just one hen. I hear that the likelihood of having twins is largely based on genetics. Maybe it's true.

My mah is a twin, and I have twin nephews.

Utisz
10-16-2014, 03:30 AM
But if he did, how did he know?

That's what I was asking myself about 30 minutes ago before I googled it and found out that you just shine a bright light through the egg and you can see its contents pretty much. They call it "candling". I wonder if it would work with Kinder Surprises. I also wonder if Kinder Surprises exist outside Europe ... otherwise there'll be a lot of folks haven't got a clue what I'm on about. They were the awesomest shittiest thing ever.

Maybe it was just one hen. I hear that the likelihood of having twins is largely based on genetics. Maybe it's true.

My mah is a twin, and I have twin nephews.

That's what I was asking myself about 30 minutes ago before I googled it and found out that yep, it's genetic.

pensive_pilgrim
10-16-2014, 03:33 AM

Saw him using a metal implement in a nonstick pan, stopped watching. :dont: The correct way to cook an omelette is to lift up the edges with your (silicone) spatula and tilt the pan so the remaining runny part goes underneath. No flipping necessary.

e: watched a little more. It should not be fucking brown. Why would anyone ever think that's a good way to cook eggs?

Utisz
10-16-2014, 03:37 AM
Saw him using a metal implement in a nonstick pan, stopped watching. :dont: The correct way to cook an omelette is to lift up the edges with your (silicone) spatula and tilt the pan so the remaining runny part goes underneath. No flipping necessary.

e: watched a little more. It should not be fucking brown. Why would anyone ever think that's a good way to cook eggs?

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-_peegzjCN4I/U29YTjRKHkI/AAAAAAAAQdw/gGcDVGkb52k/s1600/it-begins.gif

notdavidlynch
10-16-2014, 03:47 AM
lolwut

the "correct" way to cook an omelette? bunch of horseshit.

i've cooked omelettes a variety of ways and i personally prefer to let it go for awhile, lifting edges and letting it run on to the pan, but not for too long. only long enough for it to solidify enough that i can have it slide freely across the pan, then i flip it with a flick of the wrist - sometimes i flip it high just to be a dick. no folding over. one side cooks for a bit, flip it completely to the other side cook for a bit longer, finally fill with cheese or whatever and wrap over.

veggies and such would be sauted first and cooked along with the egg mixture from the beginning.

MoneyJungle
10-16-2014, 04:06 AM
Jacques Ppin makes two omelettes in this video, the second of which is how I was taught is the only proper omelette by a French sadist a few years back. It's how I make them, but it's mostly theatric or once in a while to instruct someone how to be an actual omelette snob.

http://youtu.be/57afEWn-QDg

Edit : And I just noticed this vidya was already posted. I'm a real piece of shit forum member. The rubber spatula omelette of people.

MuseedesBeauxArts
10-16-2014, 04:41 AM
I just finished something that had been undone since Monday. And other dreaded stuff, too, at least started. And some edits for a friend done, too. Whew!

Perdix
10-16-2014, 05:20 AM
Got a new apartment and I just paid a year's rent upfront in cash and management gave me a 20% discount + $750. It's really modern too, wood floors, walk in closets and new appliances.

manzanita
10-16-2014, 05:31 AM
I got praise and thanks from a visiting member of upper management for both what I've objectively helped my department accomplish and what I've more abstractly brought to our location as a whole. In front of the regional manager and my department manager, the GM bragged about how sales in one category are up 200% from last year because of me. I made my department manager look great to the point of high-fives the day before I'm scheduled to have a "sit-down" with him to "discuss [my] progress".

El D.
10-16-2014, 08:15 PM
I wonder if it would work with Kinder Surprises. I also wonder if Kinder Surprises exist outside Europe ... otherwise there'll be a lot of folks haven't got a clue what I'm on about. They were the awesomest shittiest thing ever.

Yes, they exist in a drawer in my parents' house in Virginia, but only because my sister brought them there from Germany.

Hephaestus
10-16-2014, 09:18 PM
That's what I was asking myself about 30 minutes ago before I googled it and found out that you just shine a bright light through the egg and you can see its contents pretty much. They call it "candling". I wonder if it would work with Kinder Surprises. I also wonder if Kinder Surprises exist outside Europe ... otherwise there'll be a lot of folks haven't got a clue what I'm on about. They were the awesomest shittiest thing ever.

Candling is an important skill when breeding chickens. Requires the right sort of flashlight. Once you start raising chickens you start inspecting every small flashlight for suitability for candling. The perfect one will cup the end of the egg so that no light leaks out, and will produce very little heat. LED flashlights should be perfect, but they rarely put proper shrouds on them so they're never even "ok". The last one I saw that approached good, had a notch cut in the shroud to make a bottle opener--and ruin it's potential as a candling light.

I know what Kinder Surprises are, but only because about a decade ago, there was a news story about some couple being busted at the border for trying to smuggle them into the country. They're illegal in the US. We have this thing about choking hazards and small children. Honestly, at first I thought it was an Onion article from a writer who'd been up late and recently saw the "Whizzo Chocolates" Monty Python skit.

Madrigal
10-23-2014, 12:25 AM
I went to a stupid HR motivational bullshit thing and they told us a stupid patronizing story that I analyzed to demonstrate the company's philosphy and then everyone in the class began a catharsis about how much they hate their jobs.

They're gonna kick my ass someday.

El D.
10-28-2014, 10:54 PM
Colt McCoy, Redskins 3rd string QB, goes on to beat the Cowboys in Dallas! HAH chew on that Tony Romo.

Perdix
10-30-2014, 12:49 AM
Swam 35 meters underwater without going up for air yesterday.

gator
01-17-2015, 07:12 PM
I renewed a library book before it was overdue!

ferrus
01-17-2015, 07:20 PM
I renewed a library book before it was overdue!
I am still banned from one library until I pay my 250 fines back.

gator
01-21-2015, 10:47 PM
A coworker brought a cake in to work yesterday and I didn't eat any of it.

MuseedesBeauxArts
01-22-2015, 03:01 AM
I made sushi rice that tastes awesome. I was worried, because last time it really didn't. Though that was in Ghana, so we had neither the proper rice nor the proper vinegar. Oops?

Hephaestus
01-22-2015, 05:30 AM
A coworker brought a cake in to work yesterday and I didn't eat any of it.
Cake is almost always a waste of calories. The calorie to joy ratio is lower than canned green beans. I hate canned green beans.

It is, however, higher than canned peas. Canned peas aren't even food, they're a punitive chemical weapon that somehow slipped under the radar at Geneva.

LordLatch
01-22-2015, 05:33 AM
I hate canned green beans.

Aren't they more gray than green?

Hephaestus
01-22-2015, 05:39 AM
Aren't they more gray than green?

Suddenly I understand why the common aliens are the Grays. They used to be little green men, but then they got sealed up in a can.

LordLatch
01-22-2015, 05:48 AM
Suddenly I understand why the common aliens are the Grays. They used to be little green men, but then they got sealed up in a can.

The Tallest did that to them.
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/f5/9f/3f/f59f3f5536d9599db5102896ff23032c.jpghttp://files.gamebanana.com/img/ico/sprays/tallest_purple.png

Hephaestus
01-22-2015, 07:03 AM
^^^Fuck Yeah. That took me moment LordLatch, I'm embarrassed to say, but I have some DVD's to find. (They're signed!)

gator
01-22-2015, 08:57 AM
For the record, I love canned mushy peas. They are the best thing.

ferrus
01-22-2015, 09:27 AM
I like them both mushy and non-mushy. I don't really understand how anyone could dislike peas.

Sappho
01-22-2015, 11:10 AM
Cake is almost always a waste of calories. The calorie to joy ratio is lower than canned green beans.
Balderdash!

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-c8qcXBOotMI/UZJ6lE8BI6I/AAAAAAAAYoY/CTEO3asgzUM/s1600/quitute.jpg

I like them both mushy and non-mushy. I don't really understand how anyone could dislike peas.
It may be an INTJ thing. All INTJs I've met hated peas, as well as cucumbers.

ferrus
01-22-2015, 11:15 AM
Balderdash!

Pretty sure consumption of this:

http://img4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20140817161811/saveurs-du-monde/fr/images/0/0c/Sachertorte.jpg

causes blood glucose levels that prevent any rational consideration about the merits and demerits of cake consumption.

Sappho
01-22-2015, 11:30 AM
Pretty sure consumption of this:

http://img4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20140817161811/saveurs-du-monde/fr/images/0/0c/Sachertorte.jpg

causes blood glucose levels that prevent any rational consideration about the merits and demerits of cake consumption.

Over the past few years I've come to realise that some things are best not thought through (http://www.shutterstock.com/video/clip-4307474-stock-footage-young-woman-eating-the-blackberry-cake.html?src=rel/4307465:1/gg).

http://youqueen.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/pretty-woman-eating-a-cake.jpg

Hephaestus
01-22-2015, 04:59 PM

Well, for starters, they're almost as gross as lima beans, but they manage to not be for two reasons:

1. Fresh picked peas are pretty good.

2. As a kid, I was able to swallow peas whole, like a pill. They were still disgusting, like eating a pill, but lima beans were often too big to do that with. I did my best to hide the lima beans in other things, but that usually just made the good things less palatable, so my food would often get cold as I contemplated the pros and cons.

Sappho: I love cucumbers. Don't care for peas in general, and despise canned peas specifically.

And all of that cake lacks any temptation for me at all. I'd rather have a slice of cheesecake (more pie than cake, but not quite either--yet all delicious) or a scoop of ice cream or slice of raspberry rhubarb pie.

You might be thinking I could add a scoop of ice cream to my slice of cake, but that would involve eating cake, and as a fatty, I take my calorie joy very seriously. Cake, in general, doesn't measure up for me. I do have to think very carefully about lemon poundcake and various types of muffin.

It might clarify to know that in the US, most of the time, when someone mentions cake, they mean a birthday cake, which is a bland sheetcake with thick plain frosting and that has been covered in spit before serving (this is especially true of children's birthday cakes). I don't know how anyone could want a slice of anything that someone just aspirated spit all over--and right in front of them no less!

LordLatch
01-22-2015, 05:07 PM
.. as gross as lima beans,

What kind of sicko doesn't like the taste of wet chalk with a skin?!

C.J.Woolf
01-22-2015, 05:12 PM
Over the past few years I've come to realise that some things are best not thought through (http://www.shutterstock.com/video/clip-4307474-stock-footage-young-woman-eating-the-blackberry-cake.html?src=rel/4307465:1/gg).

http://youqueen.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/pretty-woman-eating-a-cake.jpg

I didn't take you for the sort who would post porn on INTPx! ;)

Hephaestus
01-22-2015, 05:32 PM

To be fair... we have a low bar for arousal. (Two puns! And one is low brow intellectual! Good work team! Good work!)

Sappho
01-22-2015, 07:50 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zetS51I0WwU

MuseedesBeauxArts
01-22-2015, 08:39 PM
It may be an INTJ thing. All INTJs I've met hated peas, as well as cucumbers.

Nope. I will eat both with gusto.

Sappho
01-22-2015, 08:44 PM
Nope. I will eat both with gusto.

I shall tweak my theory then.

It may be an INTJ thing. All male INTJs I've met hated peas, as well as cucumbers.

C.J.Woolf
01-22-2015, 09:06 PM
Do male INTJs eat peas and cucumbers with disgusto, then?

gator
03-23-2015, 11:40 PM
Had an external consultant at work express surprise today that I've been in the country for less than a year, and working in my industry for only three months, because I seem to know my stuff really well.

lethe
03-24-2015, 01:44 AM
Just finished my last weekend of private pilot ground school. Haven't taken the test yet, and probably won't until next month. I absolutely did NOT have time to do it, but the opportunity fell into my lap and I had to take it.

MidnightRune
04-30-2015, 06:59 AM
Improvising my way through a graded speech with social anxiety and minimal topic structure of the speech, scored 15/20
Also, successfully installed the chinese pinyin keyboard on my computer

gator
07-15-2017, 11:28 PM
Today I was looking over a receipt for a purchase I made on Thursday and realized that I'd been double charged for an item, so instead of doing what I'd normally do which is put it aside and deal with it later (read: never get around to it until it's too late) I dropped everything and called the customer service number. The customer service lady said that she would check with inventory at the store and then 25 minutes later she called back offering a refund for the extra item so I have my $40 back now.

MuseedesBeauxArts
07-16-2017, 03:55 AM
Have managed to fit a workout into 12 of the last 15 days, and got stupid paperwork done at work this week, too! Winning all around!

interprtation errone
10-15-2017, 03:43 AM
*does the 941 posts shuffle*