PDA

View Full Version : Abs

Madrigal
09-13-2014, 08:37 PM
Have I got the right forum?

Just kidding.

So I'm okay with my abs but I wanna improve them, and this is the part of exercising that I most detest (sit ups and ab shit in general). I like cardio like running and cycling (in gyms) but when it comes to the ab part I just hate it with a passion. I hate getting into weird positions and hurting my back, and I hate slow and painful exercises.

I have a tattoo on my belly which is a very elastic part of the body (good work, Einstein). I'm planning to get it refreshed a bit, but it gets put off for the day I have the perfect abs. Maybe if I start now I can make it for the upcoming summer. So what are some good ab tips? For men or women, I'm assuming the principle is the same. You can include foods in that too.

Here's some awesome abs to look at while we're at it. Probably the only thing I miss about the fucking 90s is belly-breakers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DLwBhvFuUIg

joft
09-13-2014, 08:51 PM
why are people so obsessed with abs

it's like an almost universal fetish in western culture, wtf

also, everybody so goddamn dumb trying to make their abs show up by making them big. they will never be big. they will only show up when you suck it in. people in images with defined abs are definitely always flexing and sucking in

stuck
09-13-2014, 08:55 PM
Abs are a product of bodyfat percentage, nothing else. You can't work them too much, but most ab exercises are fucking garbage. Situps are garbage. Do planks, bicycles, stomach vacuums, and hanging leg raises.

Madrigal
09-13-2014, 08:58 PM
why are people so obsessed with abs

it's like an almost universal fetish in western culture, wtf

also, everybody so goddamn dumb trying to make their abs show up by making them big. they will never be big. they will only show up when you suck it in. people in images with defined abs are definitely always flexing and sucking in

Huh? It's all about the ass now. And I don't want defined abs. I like the line down the middle but not when it gets all bumpy.

And I'm obsessed with abs because it's the part I most like about the body. Well, female bodies anyway, I actually kind of like bellies on men. I don't really know what I like looking at in men besides shoulders and hands.

Abs are a product of bodyfat percentage, nothing else.

So I should just leave them alone and they'll take care of themselves? That hasn't been my experience, although I've never actually done cardio without ab work. Edit: cross-posted with your edit. I dunno what all those things are but I'll look into it.

Linnea
09-13-2014, 09:02 PM
So I'm okay with my abs but I wanna improve them, and this is the part of exercising that I most detest (sit ups and ab shit in general). I like cardio like running and cycling (in gyms) but when it comes to the ab part I just hate it with a passion. I hate getting into weird positions and hurting my back, and I hate slow and painful exercises.

I dislike ab exercises too. Do you mean the "do it slowly until you feel the burn" kind of slow?

The plank (http://www.yogajournal.com/pose/poses/plank-pose/) is very effective and there are a lot of variations if one gets bored.

(I would recommend trying yoga otherwise too. It does not really have to include weird positions and if it hurts then one is doing it wrong. Even a small morning yoga routine gives me more defined abs.)

pensive_pilgrim
09-13-2014, 09:17 PM
So I should just leave them alone and they'll take care of themselves? That hasn't been my experience, although I've never actually done cardio without ab work. Edit: cross-posted with your edit. I dunno what all those things are but I'll look into it.

Doing too much ab work can actually make you look worse if you build abdominal muscle and don't lower your bodyfat percentage. And keep in mind that the way your fat is distributed is up to genetics and nothing else. Having a six pack might not be a realistic goal, especially for a woman.

I hate ab exercises too and I never do any of them, and I've sort of got a six pack right now.

stuck
09-13-2014, 09:19 PM

Let me clarify.

Strong abs are great. You can and should work them every day (in addition to other things, of course). Visible abs are solely a product of bodyfat percentage, and regulating calories is about 90% of that. Cardio is great and can burn some calories, but the #1 (http://forums.intpcomplex.com/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=1) thing, by a mile, is diet.

You can temporarily inflame any muscle by working it, and that will make it more visible, but that goes away in a day or two.

Madrigal
09-13-2014, 09:30 PM
Let me clarify.

Strong abs are great. You can and should work them every day (in addition to other things, of course). Visible abs are solely a product of bodyfat percentage, and regulating calories is about 90% of that. Cardio is great and can burn some calories, but the #1 (http://forums.intpcomplex.com/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=1) thing, by a mile, is diet.

You can temporarily inflame any muscle by working it, and that will make it more visible, but that goes away in a day or two.

What are good ab foods?

stuck
09-13-2014, 10:04 PM
What are good ab foods?

If you want to lose bodyfat, the best way is to reduce your calories. You want to shoot for slow weight loss, like a pound a week max (obese and overweight people can lose quicker). One pound a week is about 3,500 calories per day, which works out to about 500 calories a day deficit.

Figure out your TDEE, reduce that by 500 calories, and count every calorie you eat. Boom, abs.

Eating healthy, so that you feel good while you're at a caloric deficit, means that you should eat lots of veggies and protein. Eat carbs sparingly, in the form of whole grains and fruit. Avoid soda, booze, french fries, greasy garbage and sugar generally.

Exercise every day if you want, but it's less critical to the equation. Exercise does tend to make you feel better and allows you to eat a little more (hopefully healthy) food.

My secret weight loss foods are broccoli, greek yoghurt, tuna, chicken breast, carrots, apples, watermelon, cabbage, any greens, eggs. Note that these don't help you lose weight, they are just filling and healthy foods and make you feel good about eating less.

Oh and green tea, coffee, and fish oil.

notdavidlynch
09-13-2014, 10:45 PM
Steroids. You can then have visible abs with a higher body fat percentage.

Of course, taking steroids will likely lower your body fat percentage anyway.

Steroids are the #1 (http://forums.intpcomplex.com/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=1) way to have great abs.

stuck
09-13-2014, 11:09 PM
dude we gotta break her in slow, can't just blast her with the creatine right away

last_caress
09-14-2014, 03:25 AM
IMO women look best just shy of a six-pack. beyond that is a fine line where increasing muscular definition begins to look masculine.

Perdix
09-14-2014, 03:42 AM
My only recommendation is to get the tattoo removed...

Hephaestus
09-14-2014, 04:26 AM
My only recommendation is to get the tattoo removed... moar skinart

ftfy

Perdix
09-14-2014, 04:26 AM
ftfy

disgusting.

stuck
09-14-2014, 05:04 AM
My secret weight loss

btw, i saw you six months ago and you were of normal weight and healthy (could easily walk a few blocks with me), so I can only assume that this "ab" shit is vanity.

that in mind, do sprints. research HIIT. secret weapon. it makes you less hungry, meaner, and rips you up.

sandwitch
09-14-2014, 06:37 AM
There were a few weeks when I'd go through this video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1919eTCoESo) semi-regularly. It felt like I had developed the muscles a bit more, and I think it also helped my posture. I should probably try doing that again.

notdavidlynch
09-14-2014, 08:15 AM
Abs.. or grilled cheese.

There can only have one. Choose wisely.

lethe
09-14-2014, 07:44 PM
Stuck is right, the visibility of your abs is pretty much purely body fat percentage. Too many or poorly executed ab workouts can actually make it pooch, get bigger or rounder underneath the fat. Ab exercises are OK, but be sure you are actively "sucking in" while doing them and I would also recommend "balancing" your strength by working out the other side (lower back, etc). You can also help yourself by sucking/flexing your "core" while doing other exercises. A good instructional Pilates video can give you a sense of what this area is, how it feels when "engaged" and the breathing/flex rhythm. In fact, I've seen Pilates help people correct posture which has a significant impact itself on belly appearance.

Also, you don't get to choose where the body fat disappears: doing a bunch of cardio using your legs or any targeted body part does not make your body use the fat stores from that particular body part. Let me just say that again: you cannot target fat loss. Generally your body uses a "last on, first off" approach, burning the freshest fat stores first. This means you may lose some boob before the belly slims.

Mostly what you will be looking at is cardio; anything that gets your heart rate at that target range for extended period of time. Fat burning cardio is actually a lower heart rate than most people assume. If you don't want to do the math just yet a good rule of thumb is to go by your breath:

- no sweat and able to hold a full conversation = not high enough
- some sweat, able to say a few words then take a breath, then continue = just right
- totally sweating and huffing and puffing so much you can't talk at all = too much

I would start with 100 minutes a week with a minimum of 20mns (at target rate) in one sitting. That is enough to start with, but when you stop seeing imporvement you will have to do the math.

I will also point out that the more muscle you have, the more fat you burn. Strength training is really beneficial, although I wouldn't focus on the abs. The legs in particular are helpful, and often leg strength exercises will get your heart rate up. Trust me, big bulky legs will not sneak up on you. Upper arms, especially triceps will be nice to work on now to prevent "waggle arm" (you know what I'm talking about) If you do both cardio and strength in one sitting, I would do the cardio first so you can eat immediately after the strength.

For food, again, stuck is right. It's 3,500 calories for a pound, one a week is good, I wouldn't go over two a week. I also like to balance the calorie deficit with burning. For example: figure out your caloric need to maintain your current weight, subtract 250 calories and burn an extra 250 calories a day. 250 calories a day can be a hard number to reach for burning if you are already small, so even 125/day would be better than nothing.

stuck
09-14-2014, 08:04 PM
Another weight loss secret- lower your stress level and get enough sleep. Your body stores fat like mad when you are stressed or deprived of sleep.

msg_v2
09-14-2014, 11:21 PM
Another weight loss secret- lower your stress level and get enough sleep. Your body stores fat like mad when you are stressed or deprived of sleep.

I have a weight loss tip as well:

Try and avoid the daily habit of consuming a gallon tub of lard. If you have to, throw away the ice cream scoop you use. In fact, throw away any spoon bigger than a 1/8th of a teaspoon. That way, it will be incredibly difficult to scoop all that lard into your mouth. The containers should at least last two days instead of one, thus halving your lard consumption, and leaving you extra time to take up other hobbies, like smoking 6 packs of cigarettes a day. (Remember, the more gravelly the voice, the more authoritative.)

Blorg
09-14-2014, 11:32 PM

Try and avoid the daily habit of consuming a gallon tub of lard. If you have to, throw away the ice cream scoop you use. In fact, throw away any spoon bigger than a 1/8th of a teaspoon. That way, it will be incredibly difficult to scoop all that lard into your mouth. The containers should at least last two days instead of one, thus halving your lard consumption, and leaving you extra time to take up other hobbies, like smoking 6 packs of cigarettes a day. (Remember, the more gravelly the voice, the more authoritative.)

lol.

--------

identify foods you have a habit of snacking on excessively and don't buy them from the grocery store anymore. Buy foods that seem to fuel you the best; sometimes it's hard to predict just based on objective nutritional info. Eventually you'll get tired of those fueling foods, so find new ones, but don't resort to any of the irresistible foods you cut out and if you stumble upon new irresistible foods cut those out too. That's what worked for me-- didn't follow complicated rules

Hephaestus
09-15-2014, 01:48 AM

Is no good. I'll just heat it to a semi-liquid state and drink it straight from the tub.

msg_v2
09-15-2014, 02:15 AM
Is no good. I'll just heat it to a semi-liquid state and drink it straight from the tub.

Turn off your gas and smash your microwave with a baseball bat.