PDA

View Full Version : What's the next diet thing?

joft
10-13-2014, 02:16 AM
Carbs and sugar are practically passe now. Omitting animal products was always a joke and always will be (not sorry vegans, go fuck yourselves). Is the gluten issue really settled? I've heard plenty of people who I otherwise thought were quite well-informed and intelligent saying stuff about how gluten is bad, but I remain a skeptic. Aside from gluten though, most of these things have been recognized by the medical establishment and a consensus has formed. I stopped paying close attention after I decided like ~6 years ago that sugar was evil, so I might be missing some things by now.

What's the next big thing for us to learn about healthy diet?

I hope it's not histamines. I enjoy fermented stuff like yogurt and sauerkraut, and some non-fresh meats like sardines and smoked salmon.

What do you think it is? Something we need to cut back on, something we need more of? Cyclically modulating the amounts of calories, types of calories, and times of day of consumption? Special combinations of specific foods? Or, are we really clutching at straws here, and there's not really any good answers- we're just shitty products of evolution and there's no "right" answer?

msg_v2
10-13-2014, 02:23 AM
Carbs and sugar are practically passe now. Omitting animal products was always a joke and always will be (not sorry vegans, go fuck yourselves). Is the gluten issue really settled? I've heard plenty of people who I otherwise thought were quite well-informed and intelligent saying stuff about how gluten is bad, but I remain a skeptic.

I don't really buy it; but some people actually do have serious dietary issues where they can't have gluten. I had a friend like that; it definitely wasn't a trend for him. Although, I suspect he was grateful for the trend as it made it easier for him to find gluten-free products.

Regarding diet, I've even read things suggesting that the dangers of cholesterol might be overrated. I think the main thing is that people don't eat enough fruit and vegetables. Instead of going for that candy bar, go for an apple. You'll crash less, too. But I think that's too sensible and not gimmicky enough to ever catch on.

By the way, the stupidest diet fad was the raw food diet. Humans seem to have done quite well for themselves despite millennia of cooking food.

It'll probably be something about avoiding corn.

notdavidlynch
10-13-2014, 02:44 AM
Cannibalism.

ciphersort
10-13-2014, 03:15 AM
Cocaine aka the Real Hollywood Diet (an extremely overrated drug for any other purpose except perhaps, picking up strippers).

Faust
10-13-2014, 03:28 AM
Breast-milk?

joft
10-13-2014, 05:00 AM
I've even read things suggesting that the dangers of cholesterol might be overrated.

Yeah, I already take that for granted.

http://youtu.be/EzEr23XJwFY

stuck
10-13-2014, 05:12 AM
fecal transplants

rincon
10-13-2014, 05:35 AM
fecal transplants

Yuck.

Unfortunately that's a real thing. Let's share yogurt!

Bartender
10-13-2014, 11:14 AM
I'm currently on the stop drinking sugary beverages diet and drink water and I've lost 10 pounds in a couple weeks. Life sucks without iced tea though.

stuck
10-13-2014, 04:16 PM
I'm currently on the stop drinking sugary beverages diet and drink water and I've lost 10 pounds in a couple weeks. Life sucks without iced tea though.

congratulations! I wish I could easily shave ten pounds off of myself, but it's all profound suffering at this point.

Bartender
10-13-2014, 04:20 PM
congratulations! I wish I could easily shave ten pounds off of myself, but it's all profound suffering at this point.

Thanks and you should try it, just stop drinking anything other than water. That will save you a lot of calories a day (if you are a drink addict like myself). Idk when I should stop though or if I should I don't know how to turn this into something I can maintain. : /

stuck
10-13-2014, 04:32 PM
Thanks and you should try it, just stop drinking anything other than water. That will save you a lot of calories a day (if you are a drink addict like myself)

I track calories and macronutrients strictly out of necessity. I'm just saying I wish I could make an easy behavioral mod that would drop a quick ten off, but that won't happen. I'm at that point where a strict caloric deficit of about 3,500 a week catches up to me in the period of around ten days, and makes me crabby enough that pictures of food make me sad.

I'm a recovering food addict, I guess.

Idk when I should stop though or if I should I don't know how to turn this into something I can maintain. : /

Forever! Don't drink calories!

oxyjen
10-13-2014, 04:50 PM
I would say the new frontier would be altering gut flora--accommodating good sorts of bacteria and eliminating the bad. I'm not sure how that would translate into the world of fad diets and simple "Don't eat X. Eat Y." rules.

stuck
10-13-2014, 04:56 PM
fecal transplants!

Bartender
10-13-2014, 05:40 PM
I track calories and macronutrients strictly out of necessity. I'm just saying I wish I could make an easy behavioral mod that would drop a quick ten off, but that won't happen. I'm at that point where a strict caloric deficit of about 3,500 a week catches up to me in the period of around ten days, and makes me crabby enough that pictures of food make me sad.

I'm a recovering food addict, I guess.

Forever! Don't drink calories!

Damn dude that's horrible. That's some strict dieting if you are tracking all the calories and still not doing as good as you want. Me sometimes I just forget to eat, like this weekend I can only remember eating an actual meal 3 or 4 times between Friday and today. Got caught up in video games and my new computer and I just forgot to eat a meal.

I would hate to go through that.

I think I'm going to break the diet soon actually because I think I might die of dehydration I'm not drinking enough water despite me having water everywhere in my apartment. I might try diet teas but I'm not sure.

stuck
10-13-2014, 06:28 PM
Damn dude that's horrible. That's some strict dieting if you are tracking all the calories and still not doing as good as you want. Me sometimes I just forget to eat, like this weekend I can only remember eating an actual meal 3 or 4 times between Friday and today. Got caught up in video games and my new computer and I just forgot to eat a meal.

I would hate to go through that.

I'm just your average american (http://www.webmd.com/diet/features/is-fat-the-new-normal), I guess.

lethe
10-13-2014, 06:48 PM
Yes, I agree with the gut flora prediction.

I can imagine someone developing a "micro-reboot" diet, some cleanse-detox-replace. Or others just pulling something out of their ass (no, not fecal transplant) coming up with some "guide" of which foods and vitamins encourage which bacteria growth to target specific issues.

"Get sluggish from cheese? You don't have enough X in your gut to help digest! Eat more (pill/vitamin/food) to "feed" the bacteria you need!"
"Is your gut a friendly or hostile environment? Take our test strips to find out!"
"Avoid these foods to "starve out" the harmful bacteria living in you right now"
"Years of antibiotic laden meats and common medications have devastated your internal environment. Learn how to regain balance naturally!"

starla
10-13-2014, 10:39 PM
Carbs and sugar are practically passe now. Omitting animal products was always a joke and always will be (not sorry vegans, go fuck yourselves). Is the gluten issue really settled? I've heard plenty of people who I otherwise thought were quite well-informed and intelligent saying stuff about how gluten is bad, but I remain a skeptic. Aside from gluten though, most of these things have been recognized by the medical establishment and a consensus has formed. I stopped paying close attention after I decided like ~6 years ago that sugar was evil, so I might be missing some things by now.

What's the next big thing for us to learn about healthy diet?

I hope it's not histamines. I enjoy fermented stuff like yogurt and sauerkraut, and some non-fresh meats like sardines and smoked salmon.

What do you think it is? Something we need to cut back on, something we need more of? Cyclically modulating the amounts of calories, types of calories, and times of day of consumption? Special combinations of specific foods? Or, are we really clutching at straws here, and there's not really any good answers- we're just shitty products of evolution and there's no "right" answer?

I think we're going to learn that there is no shortcut to good health. Eating a diet high in variety and low in processed foods while controlling caloric intake and exercising is the best and most assured path to good health. All the low fat/low carb/paleo/etc. crap are fads that may make you thin in the short term, but there will be long term affects of such a limited diet if you stick with one of these fads long enough. I think it will take a long time for us to learn that lesson though. Years and years of fad diets which later turn out to have negative consequences.

Light Leak
10-14-2014, 12:22 AM
I might try diet teas but I'm not sure.

You could also try unsweetened tea... it's nice with a lemon.

Perdix
10-20-2014, 02:27 AM
Actually exercising and eating decent food. One can only hope.

stuck
10-20-2014, 02:33 AM
Actually exercising and eating decent food. One can only hope.

vegetable shill!

NK612
10-20-2014, 04:10 AM
Cannibalism.

HHahaha!!! I highly approve of this comment.

Sistamatic
10-27-2014, 05:12 PM
Resistant starches:

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1541-4337.2006.tb00076.x/pdf

Hephaestus
10-27-2014, 06:20 PM
^^^Interesting. I was about to suggest sea sponge: the less drastic gastric bypass. Granted, there are already companies out there trying to sell guar gum for dietary purposes, but that's already been nixed as too dangerous by the FDA (though it still shows up in some foods). I don't know if sponge has been determined a potentially dangerous blocking agent yet.

Blorg
10-27-2014, 08:56 PM
Juice fast with juices made from water, quinoa, avocado and the powdered skeletons of deceased skinny people.

Or just skinny people, period (an off-shoot of the cannibal diet).

One day during the apocalypse everyone will be skinny again so the dictatorship will release/distribute The North Beach Diet.

mthomps
01-29-2015, 03:09 AM
Given this gluten thing that just happened I truly believe the next wave of expert advice is going to be timing carbs around your cardio routine...:-/

notdavidlynch
01-29-2015, 03:30 AM
Maybe the next big diet thing will be to calculate your calories/macros based on your lean body mass, activity levels, and goals. I guess you could top it off with the idea of reaching these macro/calorie targets by eating "real", nutrient dense and preferably low-glycemic index foods in order to regulate blood sugar, increase satiety, and curb cravings.

Too hip, maybe. Perhaps it just needs a catchy name or acronym.

Hephaestus
01-29-2015, 04:00 AM
Given this gluten thing that just happened I truly believe the next wave of expert advice is going to be timing carbs around your cardio routine...:-/

I was actually thinking about something like that a day or two ago, though I wasn't sticking with carbs per se, but you're right, they're an obvious target as insulin spikers. I've got a good feeling about this one--in that I think you're right, not that I think it'll turn out to be a good thing.

Maybe the next big diet thing will be to calculate your calories/macros based on your lean body mass, activity levels, and goals. I guess you could top it off with the idea of reaching these macro/calorie targets by eating "real", nutrient dense and preferably low-glycemic index foods in order to regulate blood sugar, increase satiety, and curb cravings.

Too hip, maybe. Perhaps it just needs a catchy name or acronym.
This is obviously to sensible to be fashionable. It needs an annoying name.

Sappho
01-29-2015, 11:14 AM
This is obviously to sensible to be fashionable. It needs an annoying name.

I propose Beethoven diet, since it pretty much comes down to not eating anything that people didn't eat in the early 1800's.

Animals
01-29-2015, 12:14 PM
I flex and yell out STRAIT TO THE MUSCLES whenever i'm having a big meal. tends to go straight to the muscle.

ferrus
01-29-2015, 12:15 PM
I propose Beethoven diet, since it pretty much comes down to not eating anything that people didn't eat in the early 1800's.
Hmm. (http://listverse.com/2013/06/09/10-writers-diets-in-the-1800s/)

Linnea
01-29-2015, 12:51 PM
Eating avocado pits. (http://naturalcuresnotmedicine.com/eat-avocado-seeds/)

I like eating apple seeds despite the cyanide but I haven't thought about eating avocado pits.

notdavidlynch
01-29-2015, 01:03 PM
I like Walt Whitman's breakfast. It's already catching on.

kari
03-26-2015, 07:22 AM
Eating avocado pits. (http://naturalcuresnotmedicine.com/eat-avocado-seeds/)

I like eating apple seeds despite the cyanide but I haven't thought about eating avocado pits.

I can't give avocado (especially parts that touch the pit) to my rat because it contains a fungicidal toxin (persin) so I don't think I would ever think about eating the pit.

My ideal fantasy diet would be living off the same diet as my rat. Fresh fruits & cooked veggies & grains, and generally no processed stuff. I would never give butter chicken curry to my rat so why should I eat it?!

kari
03-26-2015, 07:24 AM
Also if you wanna know, the ~big thing~ right now is that carbs are not evil and sugar isn't bad for you.

Linnea
03-26-2015, 07:36 AM
Also if you wanna know, the ~big thing~ right now is that carbs are not evil and sugar isn't bad for you.

And the reason to obesity is rice (http://scienceblog.com/77470/new-low-calorie-rice-could-help-cut-rising-obesity-rates/).

Perdix
03-26-2015, 07:40 AM
I would never give butter chicken curry to my rat so why should I eat it?!

What would life be without curry?

If I had to guess an upcoming diet fad, a diet rich in lion's mane. It tastes freaking delicious and helps cognitive function (not bullshit (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18844328)).

Linnea
03-26-2015, 07:45 AM
I can't give avocado (especially parts that touch the pit) to my rat because it contains a fungicidal toxin (persin) so I don't think I would ever think about eating the pit.

I had to taste one since I got the idea. Very bitter. I don't see the point in eating something that tastes awful just because some health nuts claim it's healthy. Wikipedia says persin is "generally harmless to humans" :rofl:

I wonder if persin is the thing that keeps an avocado from browning after you cut it. This would explain why placing the pit in guacamole keeps the thing greener.

Avocado skin and pits can be used in dyeing fabric. Makes for a pretty pink colour. It's good that the seeds proved to be inedible so I'm not conflicted whether I should eat them or save them for my next bout of experimental fabric dyeing.

My ideal fantasy diet would be living off the same diet as my rat. Fresh fruits & cooked veggies & grains, and generally no processed stuff. I would never give butter chicken curry to my rat so why should I eat it?!

Is there anything stopping you from eating like this?

kari
03-26-2015, 08:01 AM
Is there anything stopping you from eating like this?

I generally eat vegan, practically been vegan (on & off) since I was 15 but I temporarily renounced it when I went on holidays recently (because I don't speak a lick of japanese so it's not feasible to ask for vegan meals at restaurants. Also wanted to experience japanese cuisine fully)

Just trying to get back into the routine now. But dear god I felt extremely sick & gross & tired on a diet of meat and dairy. that shit is not meant for human consumption

or maybe it's just my body?

I mean i've been thinking about it

when the human body is exposed to extreme stress it releases certain hormones like cortisol and epinephrine. when animals are bred in cramped environments, constantly under stress and misery and pain, they must have a shitload of these hormones in them? especially at the moment they are slaughtered?! and then we ingest that! we are ingesting a lifetime of pain

*trigger warning for those who a militantly anti-vegan*

Linnea
03-26-2015, 08:28 AM
I generally eat vegan, practically been vegan (on & off) since I was 15 but I temporarily renounced it when I went on holidays recently (because I don't speak a lick of japanese so it's not feasible to ask for vegan meals at restaurants. Also wanted to experience japanese cuisine fully)

Printable cards for communicating dietary restrictions in Japan (http://justhungry.com/japan-dining-out-cards)

Just trying to get back into the routine now. But dear god I felt extremely sick & gross & tired on a diet of meat and dairy. that shit is not meant for human consumption

or maybe it's just my body?

I think some people handle and require more meat than others. I'm not a meat eater (not a vegan either) but some people I know would probably have problems with a meat free diet. I've been thinking about trying to lessen my milk consumption but I'm wondering whether I can start drinking it again if I experimentally manage to wean myself off of it.

I mean i've been thinking about it

when the human body is exposed to extreme stress it releases certain hormones like cortisol and epinephrine. when animals are bred in cramped environments, constantly under stress and misery and pain, they must have a shitload of these hormones in them? especially at the moment they are slaughtered?! and then we ingest that! we are ingesting a lifetime of pain

I've been thinking about this too. It's one of the reasons I'm mostly a vegetarian*. Factory farming makes for healthy food all around :(

*the main reason being I like vegetables more than I like meat. I doubt I would be a vegetarian if I really liked eating meat.

*trigger warning for those who a militantly anti-vegan*

Some of the militant anti-vegans I know have had encounters with militant vegans. Militantism for or against veganism is annoying to everyone.

JohnClay
03-26-2015, 08:35 AM
I live with a guy who has been diagnosed as having diabetes so he avoids sugar and he's lost about 20 kg within a couple of months....

Sir Caveat
03-26-2015, 11:31 AM
Insects - The Survival Diet (http://www.fieldandstream.com/articles/survival/survival-food/2010/08/eating-insects-survival):

"Not only can bugs be found in large quantities, but they are highly nutritious, being rich in fats, proteins, and carbohydrates. The main caveat is that people who suffer from shellfish allergies should avoid them."

Michael Spencer at PBS writes (http://www.secretsofsurvival.com/survival/top-10-edible-insects.html):

"Edible-insect advocates have set up food carts in San Francisco, conferences in Rome and food fairs in Bozeman, Mont., to promote the idea that insects can help solve food and protein shortages and reduce the huge, expensive efforts to grow beef and pork. Insects, they point out, are much easier to grow than large animals.

And there are plenty of them. Of the 1.1 million species of insects scientists have identified and named, 1,700 are edible. They are cold-blooded creatures, which makes them much more efficient in converting energy to protein -- no wasted heat."

Then he adds:

"But the big advantage of eating insects is that they are generally healthier than meat. A six-ounce serving of crickets has 60 percent less saturated fat and twice as much vitamin B-12 than the same amount of ground beef. You don't have to sell the idea to the people of Madagascar; they eat about 15 different species of insect. And other countries -- including Thailand and China -- consume vast quantities of bugs."

NedLudd
03-26-2015, 01:28 PM
I think people could benefit from having a large lunch and little to nothing for dinner.

Utisz
03-26-2015, 08:06 PM
Hmm ... how about a diet where you eat non-essential parts of yourself. Could work?

wanna lose two pounds? jab this metal straw into your belly flab and suckle off your own recursive opulence. christmas coming up? wanna lose ten pounds? 'course you can but it'll cost you a leg no pain no gain but you get to decide which one hint go for the one that's less carby looking, serves four. feeling a little peckish after work? cum into an ice-tray, makes a nice frozen treat on warm summer days. and don't forget tuesday night is meatball night.

*insert testimonials, tips and before/after pics*

flurps
03-26-2015, 08:45 PM
A fitbit addon that keeps track of how many times your hand goes to your mouth and after a preset limit shocks the shit out of you.

I believe this technology was first demonstrated in revenge of the nerds 2.

Blorg
03-26-2015, 09:51 PM
Plastics. People keep their mouths occupied while they starve by 'recycling' plastic products by mouth instead of throwing them away. When the products are sufficiently mushy, they mail them to a recycling center.

Linnea
03-26-2015, 10:06 PM
A fitbit addon that keeps track of how many times your hand goes to your mouth and after a preset limit shocks the shit out of you.

Not foolproof. Smoothies and straws. You can drink quite many chocolate smoothies using minimal hand movements.

Plastics. People keep their mouths occupied while they starve by 'recycling' plastic products by mouth instead of throwing them away. When the products are sufficiently mushy, they mail them to a recycling center.

:applause: I like it. But the idea of having to masticate styrofoam actually made my teeth hurt.

stuck
03-26-2015, 10:19 PM
Meal-matching app that allows you to give up the final bites of your meal to a nearby stranger.

flurps
03-26-2015, 11:17 PM
Not foolproof. Smoothies and straws. You can drink quite many chocolate smoothies using minimal hand movements.

This is true. Also it was Hamburger: the Motion Picture.

Maybe some kind of mechanical iris in the esophagus with a calorie analyzer and volume sensor.

stuck
03-27-2015, 12:51 AM
Eating human shit

Hephaestus
03-27-2015, 01:08 AM
This is true. Also it was Hamburger: the Motion Picture.

Maybe some kind of mechanical iris in the esophagus with a calorie analyzer and volume sensor.

How about putting trace amounts of a toxin in foods based on their caloric content. The toxin isn't life threatening, and metabolizes fairly quickly. But if you eat too many calories in too short a time, the toxin reaches threshold and acts as a mild, but unpleasant purgative.

It would work best to have a couple tiers to the system though, as different people have different caloric needs, both in terms of lean body mass and activity level.

It would need a catchy name though...

flurps
03-27-2015, 06:44 PM
How about putting trace amounts of a toxin in foods based on their caloric content. The toxin isn't life threatening, and metabolizes fairly quickly. But if you eat too many calories in too short a time, the toxin reaches threshold and acts as a mild, but unpleasant purgative.

It would work best to have a couple tiers to the system though, as different people have different caloric needs, both in terms of lean body mass and activity level.

It would need a catchy name though...

Yeah, something that sounds subtle, pretty and benign. Like Ralph Juice. Or Health Spew.

Hephaestus
03-27-2015, 06:52 PM
Yeah, something that sounds subtle, pretty and benign. Like Ralph Juice. Or Health Spew.

Those are good!

The Yak-Trak Fitness Pack?

Faust
03-27-2015, 08:20 PM
Organs meats. Like brains and balls.

jigglypuff
03-27-2015, 08:45 PM
postmodern rejection of diet totalitarianism

Ptah
03-27-2015, 08:49 PM
^leading to

http://cdn.thinqon.com/userData/userContributedImages/372-post.jpg

jigglypuff
03-27-2015, 09:11 PM
photogenic food as found sculpture & conceptual consumption, leading to a trend of relentless preservation.

Hephaestus
03-28-2015, 09:38 PM
photogenic food as found sculpture & conceptual consumption, leading to a trend of relentless preservation.

Interesting. The day before you posted this, I pulled a pan from my convection oven. It's a pizza pan/cookie sheet that I'd used to roast some burger patties. The congealed grease and little bits of overcooked meat left on the platter were actually quite visually appealing if you looked at them as a form of painting, rather than what they were. It was a very interesting abstract design, that reminded me a bit of a pile of skulls from some Boris Vallejo cover art.

Then I put it under a stream of hot tap water and watched it morph as the grease dissolved.

The point being, this is a credible thing--at least as far as the food as found art concept goes. But I think it lends itself to destructive curation more than preservation. The gradual destruction is part of the art as well--like those works of art with highly acidic paints/pigment bases, that are meant to destroy themselves over a matter of days--moving from found piece to found piece as it gradually falls apart.

Another hypothesis:

Substance A. Substance A is described in a fictional book I just made up about fictional hypothetical substances, thusly:

Substance A came onto the marketplace in late 2016 as an anxiolytic. It was marketed as such for having fewer negative side effects than benzos. It was also believed to have a lower potential abuse as it's euphoriant qualities were substantially muted.

Feedback from shills revealed a better marketing strategy. While the anxiolytic properties were much liked, one of the things most of the patients liked about it was how effective it was as an appetite suppressant. Soon, it was being marketed as such, and the big Pharma that brought it to market got richer, hand over fist by selling it as part of a program including a calorie dense nutrient solution.

Long term effects looked pretty good too as it's other common side effects were suppression of taste, and suppression of caring about loss of taste.

Diet composition overall improved, and Frito-Lay filed for bankruptcy in early 2018.

All seemed well until some early adopters started coming forward about Substance A's dirty little secret: it was wicked addictive.

This wasn't a real problem when still trying to lose weight. It wasn't even a problem for the "#15's", or as they were commonly named in the media, the fifteen-pounders: people trying to quickly lose about 15 pounds. Withdrawal symptoms weren't felt that keenly until people had been on it for a few months. But for those who became addicted, the symptoms were severe.

"I went from being obese to being an epileptic" laments one commenter on the initial whistleblower expose. Another commenter said they went "from being fat to having Crohn's disease". However, claims of intestinal adhesions or similar issues were quickly swept under the rug as the result of chronic abuse. Still, they did their damage to Substance A's reputation as it had initially been marketed on the favor of low potential for abuse and interfering side effects.

Epilepsy proved a more difficult claim, both to refute and to substantiate. There were many confounding factors. But in late 2020, a highly politicised study was released that revealed the truth: Substance A wasn't the direct cause of the adult onset epilepsy epidemic. It was however, an underlying factor because it made the brain more susceptible to spongiform encepholopathy causing prions.

This revelations was rapidly spun by Pharma, as "Not out fault!", and by consumer advocates as "The most dangerous drug ever!"

In 2025, the drug was added to Schedule 1 of the USA's Controlled Substance Act, and banned from production, import, or sale in the US.

In 2030, and anti-prohibition movement began to gain steam, largely because it's constituent members were all so svelte, but it quickly faltered when during a pivotal open debate, the anti-prohibition movement's representative collapsed, frothing at the mouth, and losing control of all major motor functions.

In 2050, HuffPost put it on their list as one of the top ten most dangerous inventions of the new century, right after Twitter, Google Glass, and the vibrating spork.

BIOTCH
04-18-2015, 02:03 AM
So much fluff in this biotch. Gluten is not optimal for anyone. Sure you can survive on it, but it's connected with a shitload of health problems, physical and psychological. Bread madness anyone? No animal on earth has evolved to digest gluten as a main part of their diet, not even cows lol. Makes me sad when ppl feed their cat cheap grains when they are obligate carnivores.