PDA

View Full Version : MBTI types for Friends characters

Sloth
07-05-2015, 07:36 AM
One of these threads.

I’m between gigs at the moment and so I have been watching an unspeakable amount of Friends reruns lately. Here’s my current opinion on their types:

Monica - ESTJ
Rachel - ISFJ
Ross - INTJ
Chandler - ENTP
Phoebe - ENFP
Joey - ESFP

I’m the least sure about Rachel, the other ones I feel fairly confident about. Differing opinions?

I’ll get into explanations as to why I came to these conclusions depending on how/if the thread progresses.

Edit: I'll perpetually edit this post as I refine my opinion.

kari
07-05-2015, 08:08 AM
ESFP Rachel
INTP Chandler
ESFP Joey
INTP Ross
ESFJ Monica
INFP Phoebe

Ross is definitely a P, no J would ever say "Rachel" instead of "Emily". Also just randomly bursting out into a british accent?

Phoebe is INFP, classic spiritual new age type. P because she's flaky, she'll say anything

I think Monica could be either T or F, and I or E, she could go both ways

Rachel is definitely an F, that's just how they wrote her character. She rarely makes decisions based on logic.

Here are early on descriptions of each character
http://i.imgur.com/H1sG4s7.png

Sloth
07-05-2015, 08:34 AM
ESFP Rachel
INTP Chandler
ESFP Joey
INTP Ross
ESFJ Monica
INFP Phoebe

Ross is definitely a P, no J would ever say "Rachel" instead of "Emily". Also just randomly bursting out into a british accent?

Phoebe is INFP, classic spiritual new age type. P because she's flaky, she'll say anything

I think Monica could be either T or F, and I or E, she could go both ways

Rachel is definitely an F, that's just how they wrote her character. She rarely makes decisions based on logic.

A lot of that isn't far off from my initial thoughts:

-In my mind it was a toss up about Ross being P or J, I can see him being P though.
-Chandler is far more biting and sarcastic than any other character, to me this level of abrasiveness leans more ENTP than INTP
-On second thought I think that you're right Phoebe is N not S (thinks in metaphors too much to be S), but she has an extroverted "presence" she seems too loud to be I to me, so perhaps ENFP
-Monica is a tough read. I say she leans T because she can get very drill sergeant-y and highly competitive to a degree I don't think an F could or would go.
-I almost pegged Rachel as an ISFJ, but then right before posting this I changed it to ISTJ out of a loose process of elimination. I don't really have a defense that she's T. She's not an N, she thinks concretely and gets really bored when Ross tries to get heady (though all of them kinda do haha). She's prone to just follow Monica's lead and take a back seat in *most* situations (one thing I found cool about her storyline is that she constantly gets forced into having to take action and go against this nature a lot) reads ISxJ.

Sloth
07-05-2015, 09:22 AM
Whoever wrote this (https://whichmbtitype.wordpress.com/2012/04/21/which-mbti-type-are-the-characters-from-friends/) agrees with me about everything except Rachel. This person has a terrible argument for Ross being an INTJ, but so do I at the moment.

OrionzRevenge
07-05-2015, 09:58 AM
I agree with Kali about Ross not seeming J.
He seems often indecisive mulling his options.

Wearing his heart on his sleeve is weird, but then these are just Hollywood Characters in a 6-Way dynamic bouncing off each other for laughs. I doubt Friends would have worked if Ross were as emotionally detached as Sheldon from BBT.

Sloth
07-05-2015, 08:27 PM
I agree with Kali about Ross not seeming J.
He seems often indecisive mulling his options.

Wearing his heart on his sleeve is weird, but then these are just Hollywood Characters in a 6-Way dynamic bouncing off each other for laughs. I doubt Friends would have worked if Ross were as emotionally detached as Sheldon from BBT.

I'm beginning to see the light actually.

I find it funny that a lot of people speculate that Sheldon is an INTP, he screams INTJ to me: first of all, even though his friends make fun of him he garners and asks in the power he has over them with his ever looming "strike" system whereas an INTP I think would just ignore the issue or take some other action that doesn't formalize a negative behavior so much. Also, he's INTJ particular not INTP particular - there's not a snow ball's chance in hell Sheldon has even a drop of Fe, he is Fi all the way - case in point he is willing to completely stop a group flow in a social situation if someone is simply "sitting in his seat" and he will not "allow" the fun to continue until said person has moved. An INTP would never do this, no type with Fe would ever do this. An INTP would either ask the person quietly (and allow the flow to continue). The other characters seem a lot more INTP to me than Sheldon does.

OrionzRevenge
07-05-2015, 08:46 PM
^^^
I could certainly see Sheldon as an Aspy INTJ.

I think it is probably too much to ask for a Hollywood Character to play true to Type as we understand it. Especially a protagonist role.

The arc of the story has them overcoming one thing or another and possibly including their own limitations or weaknesses.

I think Ross was conceived as a Lovable Nerd at a time when nerds playing true to type weren't viewed as so loveable.

/2 cents

Sloth
07-05-2015, 09:00 PM
I think it is probably too much to ask for a Hollywood Character to play true to Type as we understand it. Especially a protagonist role.

The arc of the story has them overcoming one thing or another and possibly including their own limitations or weaknesses.

I think Ross was conceived as a Lovable Nerd at a time when nerds playing true to type weren't viewed as so loveable.

/2 cents

Yeah, and especially in a sitcom. Well, that's what I find interesting about Friends. No not everything will hold up, but since the show basically a giant character piece split 6 ways (with solid and memorable performances that even resonate today) there's so much to go from and they didn't do a half bad job creating actual human beings (especially within a sitcom scope imo).

Another thing that makes it tricky - the best writing is when a character is put up in circumstances where they are forced to act outside of their comfort zone. The unexpected is what comedy *is*, so there's a lot of times we see characters in a show constantly being put up in a situation where they don't really know what to do. It's being with the character as they have to discover what to do that makes us care a lot of the time, we learn and grow with them (ideally).

kari
07-05-2015, 11:11 PM
I guess everyone agrees on Joey being ESFP :lol:

I thought ENTP for Chandler too but he has an introvert vibe to me, but he definitely has that classic ENTP quick wit, so yeah that makes total sense. I don't think he's a strong extravert though.

I can see phoebe being an ENFP too but definitely not S, I've realised that the N/S divide correlates very strongly with non-conventional/conventional respectively. Also Ss are so not spiritual people.

Rachel is so not ISTJ!! ISTJ is like... authoritarian beaurocratic robot!

Sloth
07-06-2015, 03:38 AM
Rachel is so not ISTJ!! ISTJ is like... authoritarian beaurocratic robot!

I changed my stance to ISFJ last night, but still not totally sure. Most of the internet seems to agree with you that she's ESFP, and I can see her and Joey setting up the world in similar ways. That becomes clear in a later season when Ross ends up dating that professor that Joey was originally dating. After they split Rachel and Joey realized how similarly they look at things. Whatever she fits best, everyone also seems to agree that's she's really tough to type.

Roger Mexico
07-07-2015, 07:21 AM
Why does Ross, the largest Friend, not simply eat the other five?

kari
07-07-2015, 07:31 AM
Ross, the largest Friend This premise is debatable hence the question is untenable

Limes
07-07-2015, 05:08 PM
I'll try it from memory:

Monica - ESTJ
Rachel - ISFJ
Ross - INTJ
Chandler - INTP
Phoebe - INFJ
Joey - ESFP

OrionzRevenge
07-07-2015, 05:19 PM
This premise is debatable hence the question is untenable

If memory serves, you think Bing is the thing.

Animals
07-07-2015, 10:21 PM
I'm with Mashy, she knows her friends shit.

Gunther: ISFP
Janice: ESFP
Crap Bag: ENTP
Emily: ESTJ
Marcel: ESTP