PDA

View Full Version : The INTP and other animals

Sloth
08-08-2015, 10:54 PM
An NT stereotype is that we’re “indifferent to animals”, and that NFs have a much more notable love of them. In my life I see exceptions to this all over the place, on both ends. What is your personal experience/observation?

I think a love of animals has more to do with your experiences with them in childhood than it does your type.

For instance I can think of at least 4 proper NFs in my life that are almost completely indifferent to animals and have little to no reaction when meeting a friend’s pet or something of that nature. These NFs either didn’t grow up with pets, or had a bad experience in the youth (parents didn’t train the dog well, or something).

I know a guy who is a hardcore ENTJ in every respect *except* his love of animals (cats in particular). He doesn’t talk about them, but when he’s around them, holy shit. I’ll describe him further in a later post if people are interested.

I myself have a pretty strong love of animals, but I think this is due to positive experiences with them in youth. The best experience was with my cat Whiskers, of whom was a great cat for an INTP: Unfortunately she only lived 10 years (I was ages 10-20), but she would sit with me as I watched documentaries about M theory, astronomy, determinism, and so on (mega geeky things I wish I had more time to learn about these days). She would lay on my lap almost every night for hours as I raided in WoW (and on rare occasion managed to get on my keyboard and send messages to my guild mates, her messages where usually something along the lines of “kjbvctd” or “;p0-[p;.,mjk”) She was a very important part of my life.

As a result I’m fascinated with animal behavior, and I dare say, I find many of them downright cute.

Yeah I said it.

So what about the rest of you?

jigglypuff
08-08-2015, 11:05 PM
i love animals, but i am biased against some of them, like raccoons. i don't like raccoons cuz they mean trouble

Lurker
08-08-2015, 11:18 PM
So now INTPs are animals? Thanks for that.

Seriously though, I never knew about this stereotype. I've had very unique bonds with several cats and one collie in my life. I mean, I go out of my way to affiliate with various puppies, dogs, and cats that cross my path. Once, a goober puppy made me actually laugh for the first time in days. This was an awesome, stupid-friendly, sweet puppy!

I think some NFs require constant animal immersion via ringtones, videos, calendars, art....they can't be independent of the animals. And, although, I hate to add to this stereotype, the two INFPs I know both have cat calendars. Actually, kitten calendars. That's worse.

jigglypuff
08-08-2015, 11:56 PM
i have a chicken calendar.

Lurker
08-09-2015, 12:01 AM
^ Oh.

The calendar probably features your own chickens, though, or if that's not the case, then just....chalk this exchange up to foot-in-mouth disease.

Okay, I had cat wallpaper once. It was a bengal.

Before I knew anything about MBTI, I knew one person -- an infp -- who had a bizarre relationship with her cats. She monopolized their affection and became very jealous if they preferred another person to her. She also cried when she found out that one of her kittens was a girl, not a boy. When I asked her why, she basically explained that her perception of the kitten had changed, that the kitten wasn't the same kitten as before. I understand what she meant, but it was very disturbing to watch her mental state hinge on her understanding of the gender identity of her kitten. I tried explaining to her that the kitten didn't even have a gender identity -- in other words, none of this stuff really mattered. Of course, she knew that logically, but her feelings were another matter. She was somewhere I couldn't reach with any amount of reasonable discussion.

She spoke of wanting a "cat community."

I remember just staring at her in awkward silence. We shared a living space, so that was part of the problem, but I also had a very creepy feeling. I wanted to move out.

jigglypuff
08-09-2015, 12:19 AM
^ Oh.

The calendar probably features your own chickens, though, or if that's not the case, then just....chalk this exchange up to foot-in-mouth disease.

lol it's ok. it was a gift. chickens are probably great animals for intps though imo. they have big personalities and are social and affectionate but aren't cuddly.

Sloth
08-09-2015, 12:22 AM
chickens are probably great animals for intps though imo

What makes you say that? They seem a little high maintenance for my taste. Seems like a lot of cleaning or changing things, but I've never had one.

Hephaestus
08-09-2015, 12:23 AM
^ Oh.

I can think of a few good ideas for a chicken calendar. Like plates from the Book of Perfection.

What I would not abide is a calendar of chickens wearing clothes and posed doing people shit.

Unless... unless it was really well done and subversive and twisted. That would actually rock. I'm thinking chickens wearing greasy coveralls in a miniature factory staring at blueprints--possibly hypnotized...

Then, a chicken in a bonnet and sun dress watching a bunch of baby chicks in overalls on a tiny playground, with a rooster over behind a fence, sticking his head out the window of a creeper van.

A rooster in a convertible, crowing at chickens clad in denim cutoffs with pockets hanging out and sports bras on the sidewalk of a miniature downtown setpiece.

Roosters in WWII uniforms attacking each other.

Chickens in mourning clothes gathered around a tiny grave.

Chickens wearing veils, rooster on throne, with a merkin of curly hair on his chest and a goblet beside him--tent backdrop.

Chickens in a tiny hospital waiting room, wearing beak masks.

Chickens in an operating room, wearing scrubs, gathered around another chicken splayed on a scale operating table, tiny surgical tools scattered on the floor due to a cursed lack of hands to grasp them with.

Chickens in kimonos, gambling in classic cho-han style. The rooster at the head of the proceedings has an eyepatch.

Chicken in a spacesuit on the moon, clearly pecking at the ground, but impeded by the bubble helmet.

A chicken being lead to miniature gallows.

A chicken in a tiny kitchen with a tiny knife block, range etc, with a cutting board with julienned veggies, and a steaming stock pot on the range.

jigglypuff
08-09-2015, 12:24 AM
What makes you say that? They seem a little high maintenance for my taste. Seems like a lot of cleaning or changing things, but I've never had one.

idk, once the system's set up it's pretty low maintenance, but they do require attention and care like all pets. they're also really entertaining. not for everyone but i love em. X) somehow it just really suits me. maybe it's just me

as for cleaning things, it doesn't get too bad if you have a compost heap or something. just dump the stuff in a pile. if you garden it's still useful. a lot of chicken owners i've met treat their chickens as a feature in their garden, so that's another plus, you can sorta just leave them alone if you've got things to do

raising chicks is really high maintenance though

Fragaria
08-09-2015, 02:19 AM
I like animals but I usually like to give them space and respect. Like, if you were born a human I'd probably have nothing to do with you, but because you're not one I feel sorry for you. There's a few out there I'd want to be human friends with though.

I'm not vegetarian but it's sad that all living creatures must comply with our ideologies about property, insurance, and capital or/and be killed despite never being given enough patience from our part to learn these things. In that way it's kind of pathological how cats and dogs can just live on human welfare, sleep and eat and shit for free every day without feeling guilt for the rest of the four-legged world. Or maybe they feel it but can't express it, or it's suppressed the same way we surpress guilt for homeless people. They're just lost and adopted orphans who spend their lives in completely artificial habitats, and in some cases the peak of their day is just filling their stomachs. Weird as hell.

Sloth
08-09-2015, 02:45 AM
I'm not vegetarian but it's sad that all living creatures must comply with our ideologies about property, insurance, and capital or/and be killed despite never being given enough patience from our part to learn these things. In that way it's kind of pathological how cats and dogs can just live on human welfare, sleep and eat and shit for free every day without feeling guilt for the rest of the four-legged world. Or maybe they feel it but can't express it, or it's suppressed the same way we surpress guilt for homeless people. They're just lost and adopted orphans who spend their lives in completely artificial habitats, and in some cases the peak of their day is just filling their stomachs. Weird as hell.

I'm not a vegetarian either.

It is kind of weird, isn't it? I get it though, we originally did it just to survive, but obviously we're letting it go to an unnecessary level (in many places anyway, other places could use a little more TLC for humans i.e. 3rd world countries).

In cats' defense, they domesticated themselves. They realized we are superior, and that they're guaranteed to survive if they cuddle up to us. So in their case it isn't so pathological imo. Dogs on the other hand have completely had their natural evolutionary path screwed up by us.

Fragaria
08-09-2015, 02:59 AM
In cats' defense, they domesticated themselves. They realized we are superior, and that they're guaranteed to survive if they cuddle up to us. So in their case it isn't so pathological imo. Dogs on the other hand have completely had their natural evolutionary path screwed up by us.

I never thought of it that way. I keep wondering about the whole cat owners vs. dog owners debate (if it can be called that), in which dog owners call cats sociopaths and whether that's true on a level. Cats with homes are literally just expected to be comfortable all day more so than their owners.... does that make them superior? And when you look at the health of a society (in this case a species) based on its least fortunate, it seems homeless cats are way more adaptable than homeless people.

Madrigal
08-09-2015, 05:03 AM
It has nothing to do with type. Some of the NTs I've known actually connect much more easily with animals than with people, and I can understand why.

I used to have a dog calendar in my youth. When the year ended I pasted the pictures all over my wall. These days I have a weed calendar for cultivation according to moon phases.

Sloth
08-09-2015, 06:22 AM
Cats with homes are literally just expected to be comfortable all day more so than their owners.... does that make them superior? And when you look at the health of a society (in this case a species) based on its least fortunate, it seems homeless cats are way more adaptable than homeless people.

Well, it's a trade off. They offer companionship in exchange for comfort. The type of companionship they offer is quite different from what dogs offer (it of course varies cat to cat, I grew up with many cats, Whiskers was just particularly loyal to me and was "my cat"). IME people that hate on cats have never had a cat, and take their limited experiences with meeting friends' cats to be "how cats are". The cats I grew up with were all affectionate to some degree, but when a new person would enter the house most of them would hide or just generally be skittish unless that person visited frequently. Whiskers was kind of a bad ass alpha and walked right up to new people and stared them down, it was pretty cool. I digress.

Yeah, cats, raccoons, probably most dogs, squirrels, mice, and every other animal that's learned to live in a human environment will probably never go extinct. Kinda cool.

Lurker
08-09-2015, 06:42 AM
I can think of a few good ideas for a chicken calendar. Like plates from the Book of Perfection.

What I would not abide is a calendar of chickens wearing clothes and posed doing people shit.

Unless... unless it was really well done and subversive and twisted. That would actually rock. I'm thinking chickens wearing greasy coveralls in a miniature factory staring at blueprints--possibly hypnotized...

Then, a chicken in a bonnet and sun dress watching a bunch of baby chicks in overalls on a tiny playground, with a rooster over behind a fence, sticking his head out the window of a creeper van.

A rooster in a convertible, crowing at chickens clad in denim cutoffs with pockets hanging out and sports bras on the sidewalk of a miniature downtown setpiece.

Roosters in WWII uniforms attacking each other.

Chickens in mourning clothes gathered around a tiny grave.

Chickens wearing veils, rooster on throne, with a merkin of curly hair on his chest and a goblet beside him--tent backdrop.

Chickens in a tiny hospital waiting room, wearing beak masks.

Chickens in an operating room, wearing scrubs, gathered around another chicken splayed on a scale operating table, tiny surgical tools scattered on the floor due to a cursed lack of hands to grasp them with.

Chickens in kimonos, gambling in classic cho-han style. The rooster at the head of the proceedings has an eyepatch.

Chicken in a spacesuit on the moon, clearly pecking at the ground, but impeded by the bubble helmet.

A chicken being lead to miniature gallows.

A chicken in a tiny kitchen with a tiny knife block, range etc, with a cutting board with julienned veggies, and a steaming stock pot on the range.

I'd buy that calendar.