PDA

View Full Version : I like turtles.

Grefox
08-23-2015, 08:44 PM
Are introducing posts redundant? Isn't one introducing oneself by just posting on a random thread for the first time, thereby demonstrating that one is in fact a new member in an online community? Are the thoughts and reactions you have through interaction not more telling and descriptive of the person you are than a pointless conveying of things like "Hi, I'm X. I'm new. I like turtles.". Isn't this rather a feeler thing, an Fe formality, some kind of communal ritual? Questions ...

Vison
08-23-2015, 09:38 PM
Welcome! I also enjoy the existence of turtles!

gator
08-23-2015, 11:04 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X4IyoI77j1Q

Resonance
08-23-2015, 11:54 PM
Hmm... good questions. Not everyone reads every post that is made, so an intro post serves the purpose of getting to know someone in a place where others can easily refer to it when trying to gauge the person. Plus, a thread that's just about saying hello can outlast a thread that discusses a certain topic. Of course, they could just look at your post history, but that's a bit more work since each post is generally made in a different context. It does give a more broad-spectrum view though.

Also, we are not devoid of feelers here! ...although they tend to be more of the 'thinky with an inter-/intra-personal focus' type rather than the 'MY LIFE IS MY EMOTIONS' type.

Hephaestus
08-24-2015, 12:08 AM
Imagine you and me, and me and you, interacting in an intro thread... What do we do? Do we just post a hello and go, or carry on, interacting together--

I can't see me posting in an intro thread, for all my life--

It's just a way to start, and announce that we have, begun our posting life--

Interacting together--

I like the Turtles too.

Ptah
08-24-2015, 12:32 AM
First and foremost -- welcome to the forum :cheers:

To address your questions. As I see it: welcome threads can provide an opportunity for a new person to introduce themselves in whatever manner they choose, and for others to speak with them about their interests (or whatever) -- all without derailing another thread, as such. There are a few good examples of this dynamic among the existing welcome threads.

As for turtles. TMTN is as close as I get to liking turtles proper, which is to say not close at all.

Oh, and there is a Turtle BBCode here, although I'm no good at using it.

GnarlFox
08-24-2015, 09:06 PM
Sure, but you can't exactly walk into a room expecting people to know you. It all comes down to F eventually anyway.

Sistamatic
08-24-2015, 10:10 PM
Are you a herpetologist, or just a chelonian enthusiast?

Madrigal
08-25-2015, 07:28 AM
Turtle stories are all tragic. That's why I don't like them.

/infp

Hephaestus
08-25-2015, 07:47 AM

/infp

I was going to object, but then I realized my counterexample was of a tortoise.

Madrigal
08-25-2015, 07:51 AM
I was going to object, but then I realized my counterexample was of a tortoise.

That's just a fable!

Hephaestus
08-25-2015, 09:34 AM
That's just a fable!

Is a fable not a story?

Sistamatic
08-25-2015, 05:09 PM

/infp

http://data3.whicdn.com/images/40142393/large.jpg

Limes
09-18-2015, 02:07 AM
Hello.
I somehow missed this thread.

Can you please tell us, using only words that begin with the letter e, how you feel about paradoxes in naive set theory and/or axiomatic systems.

GO