PDA

View Full Version : If you read this, you will die.

LordLatch
01-02-2014, 03:16 AM
An empty threat since 100% of people die at some point.

Why do you think humans die and will we ever conquer it?

Also answer my poll for science:
http://forums.intpcomplex.com/showthread.php?277-I-know-how-amp-when-you-will-die

P-O
01-02-2014, 03:21 AM
Death is an illusion

LordLatch
01-02-2014, 03:23 AM
Ok lemme rephrase it for you:
Why do you think humans have a life terminating illusion and will we ever conquer it?

JollyBard
01-02-2014, 03:33 AM
Because of entropy? Heat death of the universe?

LordLatch
01-02-2014, 03:35 AM
You think you will die from that? I think the heat death happens after the sun swells and consumes all the inner planets so most people won't get to experience the outcome of entropy unless the get on that ship with Wall-e.

P-O
01-02-2014, 03:41 AM
Ok lemme rephrase it for you:
Why do you think humans have a life terminating illusion and will we ever conquer it?

Of course we will--- at least in terms of "old age". The only way to conquer it completely is if there's an infinite supply of energy in the universe.

Humans die because their ancestors died. I remember hearing somewhere that cells can split around 50 times at most. I.e. from zygote to death you get around 2^50 cells. So probably has to do with that. It may be that there's an evolutionary reason for it, or it may just be innate to the design of things living on earth. Either way, I think stem cell type things can overcome it and essentially give you a new body every 20 years or something.

JollyBard
01-02-2014, 03:43 AM
You think you will die from that? I think the heat death happens after the sun swells and consumes all the inner planets so most people won't get to experience the outcome of entropy unless the get on that ship with Wall-e.
I thought the question was "why do we inevitably die?". If we ever find a cure for aging (which I think we will), then entropy will inevitably get us.

LordLatch
01-02-2014, 03:47 AM
My guess is if we could stop ourselves from dying, we could probably stop the universe from dying also.

JollyBard
01-02-2014, 03:49 AM
My guess is if we could stop ourselves from dying, we could probably stop the universe from dying also.

I don't know, changing a fondamental law of thermodynamics seems considerably harder than curing all the diseases that cause death from old age. Especially since there is already research being done about immortal cells.

EDIT: Related: http://filer.case.edu/dts8/thelastq.htm the best Asimov short story. I promise you won't be disappointed.

LordLatch
01-02-2014, 04:09 AM
Maybe man will learn how to keep the ole butter churn going. There seems to be no limit to how much our brain meat will hold.

mthomps
01-02-2014, 03:00 PM
We die because our parts wear out. Just like any system with moving parts, when things break or wear out they need to be fixed or replaced. Until science can figure out how to grow living organs, synthesize blood, and or create mechanical replacements for all points of failure in our bodies we will keep dying.

As of right now I don't think there is a solid theoretical plan to escape a dying universe. I remember reading a long time ago our best bet would be sending the information to recreate our exact selfs through a black hole. It's not possible to send physical matter through without being smashed to nothing by gravity.

To survive as long as we can in our universe we'd need to find a way to deal with the temperature approaching absolute zero as the universe expands. The best possible way is to exchange our biological bodies for a mechanical representation of ourselves, at which point we'd be able to all live as long as our universe existed.

Hexchild
01-02-2014, 03:11 PM
Until science can figure out how to grow living organs, synthesize blood, and or create mechanical replacements for all points of failure in our bodies we will keep dying.

We know that already. It's called 'cloning'.

mthomps
01-02-2014, 03:22 PM
We know that already. It's called 'cloning'.

We still have to get over ourselves to make that an every day reality.

JollyBard
01-02-2014, 05:35 PM
We die because our parts wear out. Just like any system with moving parts, when things break or wear out they need to be fixed or replaced. Until science can figure out how to grow living organs, synthesize blood, and or create mechanical replacements for all points of failure in our bodies we will keep dying.

I don't think you can compare a biological system with a mechanical one, since cells are self-replicating machines. When one breaks, others can take its place. The trick is to make that process infinite, and there have been cases of "immortal cells". Too lazy to google.

Phil P
01-02-2014, 07:14 PM
The answer is in DNA, at least I believe. If our cell and neurons could keep replicating perfectly, then I also believe we could live much longer than we currently do. Most causes of death have to do with unhealthy cells, cancer, alztimers(?), weak immunity. The other factor is unhealthy genes to begin with, such as heart problems.

mthomps
01-02-2014, 09:36 PM
I don't think you can compare a biological system with a mechanical one, since cells are self-replicating machines. When one breaks, others can take its place. The trick is to make that process infinite

3d printing will do just that.

stuck
01-02-2014, 09:44 PM
Haha I can't read!

Starjots
01-02-2014, 10:08 PM
I think we die because it has been optimal for our firmware that our ancestors died.

I think we will conquer it and it wouldn't surprise me if those who already have everything are paying quite a bit of money right now to try and make it so. All that is needed is to reverse engineer the gazillion routines that have been stuffed into the code over 3.5 billion years to kill us off.

Now being potentially immortal is a lot different from living forever, life is hazardous.

Noir
01-02-2014, 10:20 PM
Telomeres (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Telomere)

Senseye
01-06-2014, 09:51 PM
http://www.qwantz.com/comics/comic2-706-3.png

And there are several short story collections based on this strip too.

kitsune
01-20-2014, 10:48 PM
Already a P. If I knew I would never die and therefore had no deadlines, making big decisions would become so much harder.

kitsune
01-21-2014, 01:16 AM
If you read this, you will die.

Can't I just forward this message to fifty people in my contact list to preempt the outcome?

LordLatch
01-21-2014, 01:19 AM
Can't I just forward this message to fifty people in my contact list to preempt the outcome?

What do I look like? You own personal assassin?

I mean, yes.

Dynamic
02-22-2014, 01:45 AM
If all goes according to plan, and I am fantastically wealthy in the next decade, I am going to put a lot of money into research to this end. Sirt1 activation and NAD+ supplementation seems promising. Gene therapy to turn on specific genes that are known to improve regeneration, or turn off ones that are known to cause aging \ serious problems will likely help as well. Also, 3D printing organs.

I expect death to be conquered in the next 20-30 years...at least death from "natural causes". Then, we just need to work on impenetrable skin, unbreakable bones, super muscles, regenerating brain, personal forcefields, automatic suspended animation activated by potentially mortal wounds, FTL space travel, and anti supernova \ gamma ray shields for our planet(s). Checkmate, death!

Though, I don't expect all of this anytime soon. Just the conquering of natural death.