PDA

View Full Version : Word frequency analysis of reddit posts by MBTI type (INTP, INTJ, ENTP)

Deckard
09-14-2015, 08:02 AM
I was bored so I did a quick analysis of reddit posts of self-identifying INTPs, INTJs and ENTPs using http://www.redective.com/. Note: common words are filtered out and minimum word length is 4 chars.

The following is a rank of most commonly used words grouped by type (the sample size was 12 for each type). Kinda interesting to note the differences:

http://i.imgur.com/kAKEmao.png

http://i.imgur.com/lqdGkay.png

Hephaestus
09-14-2015, 08:10 AM
While you're at it, might (doh!) consider n-grams too. I think n-gram frequency would be more revealing. I'd recommend capping at 5-grams because even in large corpus, the frequency count drops off at about a 4-gram.

It's possible I just want to find out if anyone said "anyone shit different", "haha team amazing", or "friends fuck another".

ACow
09-14-2015, 08:10 AM
You definitely need more observations. Everyone knows INTJ's are incapable of both feeling and love.

Resonance
09-14-2015, 08:12 AM
actually,

---

in seriousness though, that's pretty cool. Any way to bump up the sample size significantly?

Hephaestus
09-14-2015, 08:14 AM
Shit. What type wrote "Love, Actually"? Leaning INTJ.

Deckard
09-14-2015, 08:37 AM
While you're at it, might (doh!) consider n-grams too. I think n-gram frequency would be more revealing. I'd recommend capping at 5-grams because even in large corpus, the frequency count drops off at about a 4-gram.

It's possible I just want to find out if anyone said "anyone shit different", "haha team amazing", or "friends fuck another".
Can't do that since I'm using the frequency data calculated by the redective site, and it only looks at individual words. I could write a script to do my own scraping & analysis but I'm not quite that bored.

You definitely need more observations. Everyone knows INTJ's are incapable of both feeling and love.
Yeah I thought that was odd. Perhaps they talk about those things more because they understand them less? If a robot was trying to look human what would it talk about?

actually,

---

in seriousness though, that's pretty cool. Any way to bump up the sample size significantly?

Yeah just by trawling for more users in the mbti subforums who have enough posts. It's a bit of a manual process which is why I didn't include too many.

GnarlFox
09-14-2015, 08:40 AM
I'm a little surprised that 'things' scores so highly in both INTP's and ENTP's. I use it but not very often. I may be wrong, but I don't remember seeing 'things' used here very often either. I do use the other words in the top five consistently, however.

Deckard
09-14-2015, 08:43 AM
I'm a little surprised that 'things' scores so highly in both INTP's and ENTP's. I use it but not very often. I may be wrong, but I don't remember seeing 'things' used here very often either. I do use the other words in the top five consistently, however.

If you are a reddit user you can plug your own username into http://www.redective.com/ and see how often you really use things.

P-O
09-14-2015, 09:32 AM
I guess we learned that ENTP's are a little bit too in love with themselves.

Number 6 on the most typed words. That's pretty high.

Edit: Thinking a little more, i guess it could alternatively mean that entp's have a much more diverse vocabulary than intp's and intj's.

But, you know, given how similar the entp list is to the intp one, i'm going to go with the self love theory.

Deckard
09-14-2015, 09:45 AM
I doubled the sample size and increased the list size to top 40 (see OP), and now I'm officially sick of copy-pasting in excel.

Limes
09-14-2015, 10:22 AM

Now this mountain I must climb
Feels like a world upon my shoulders

ACow
09-14-2015, 10:30 AM
Now this mountain I must climb
Feels like a world upon my shoulders

But they are capable of being loved :hug:

jigglypuff
09-14-2015, 02:34 PM
lmao my top word is "soaps" then the rest are various ingredients

i'm not really into anything anymore especially not reddit

last_caress
09-14-2015, 03:40 PM
my top ten are:

yeah
love
little
maybe
long
find
actually
nothing
fuck
things

Systemic Reaction
01-18-2016, 05:51 PM
Some things I think are interesting:

"idea" and "question" are present in the INTP list, not in the INTJ list.

"team" is present in the INTJ list, not in the INTP list.... interesting, because INTJs are stereotypically seen as individual. Could be a factor of repressed Fe in INTPs, whereas INTJs are thought to be a better fit in formal situation requiring hierarchy, and "team work".

"definitely" is in the INTJ list, "probably" and "might" is substantially higher in the INTP list than it is in the INTJ list... clear P/J dichotomy.

"years" is both in the INTJ and ENTP but not the INTP list... could indicate intuitive-dom tendencies to deal with the future.

Both ENTP and INTP have "world" around the same position, but this is lacking in INTJ.... could be a product of "Fe harmony" (repressed or not) or just an indicator of NTP types having unrepressed extraverted perception.

Would have been interesting to see the contexts of the word choice to eliminate erroneous hypotheses about their usage.

Limes
01-19-2016, 06:06 AM
It used to be rare to be INTJ, but I think that the information age has steered the psyche of a lot of people this way.

I think that people begin to mirror their prolonged participation in the online experience. It's going to be the most common type one day at this rate, or at least after another good sporting try at cracking the eugenics nut.

Lilith
05-21-2017, 04:30 PM
It used to be rare to be INTJ, but I think that the information age has steered the psyche of a lot of people this way.

I think that people begin to mirror their prolonged participation in the online experience. It's going to be the most common type one day at this rate, or at least after another good sporting try at cracking the eugenics nut.
We can all blame Keirsey for inspiring this online cult. Statistically, INTJs are not as rare as INFJs. 1.5% of 1,000 is what? INTJs are no unicorns.

I am teh unicorn :cool: