PDA

View Full Version : Coming out of the NF closet thread

Grape Jelly
10-29-2016, 06:06 AM
Long time ago BIOTCH accused me of being an INFJ pretty adamently, and today I was reminded of this. I laughed it off, but then maybe wondered if that explained a few things. I'm a musician. I tend to see myself as unemotional, but maybe just have more intense emotions. I'd definitely be a more darker INFX.

I'm intuitive. I'm introverted, perhaps the extroversion comes from Fe. A lot of Feelers might consider themselves Thinkers, because they think that makes them smarter. I essentially have noble virtue and try to do the right thing. Aka goodie two shoes. That might explain where my sense of INTJ comes from, and the extroversion could be NF.

A nerdy ISTP gamer is also likely. At the same time, I'm a pretty big P, but INFP don't feel right, I don't think I'm in denial or am subconsciously attracted to poetry, but maybe could it be? That I'm INFJ?

Feel free to come out of your own closet.

jigglypuff
10-29-2016, 06:08 AM
maybe you're infj or maybe none of this matters. join the xxxx club

MoneyJungle
10-29-2016, 06:30 AM
If you ain't down with thinkerishness I got two words for ya

Grape Jelly
10-29-2016, 07:02 AM
If you ain't down with thinkerishness I got two words for ya

Thanks for not calling me NF

https://66.media.tumblr.com/a904d03fb274b956d85151061700ee04/tumblr_inline_o8fdi1k8Jy1r2eu1z_500.gif

Sappho
10-29-2016, 08:17 AM
Long time ago BIOTCH accused me of being an INFJ pretty adamently, and today I was reminded of this. I laughed it off, but then maybe wondered if that explained a few things. I'm a musician. I tend to see myself as unemotional, but maybe just have more intense emotions.

Is that really a justification for F-ness, however? I think the T/F divide rather describes on what you tend to base your life decisions on – your feelings of the moment or the hard facts.

Do you pay a lot of attention to how you feel, and does this occupy you greatly? Then you may be an F. Do you often not notice how you feel until after a situation? Then you may be a T.

One of the misconceptions about MBTI is that Thinkers don't have any real feelings at all – which is obviously impossible. I tear up at every other good opera or concert performance I attend, and I don't mind – there's a legitimate reason for being moved here, after all. Emotion in a musical context = acceptable and (in performing) even necessary; emotion anywhere else = just a side distraction that has no real impact on one's course of life. If this compartmentalisation rings familiar, you're probably a T.

Faust
10-29-2016, 05:37 PM
You're neither an F or J. Congrats?

Sloth
10-29-2016, 05:58 PM
Long time ago BIOTCH accused me of being an INFJ pretty adamently

BIOTCH called me an INFJ a few times too, tbh I wouldn't put much stock in anything that person said. I think they just said it to try to rile us up, and I don't think there was anything sincere or deeper to it than that.

INTPS and INFJs have the same thinking and feeling functions so developed INTPs and INFJs are going to have a lot of overlap in their approach to life and the way they appreciate things. The depth to which you're able to feel things doesn't mean much for figuring out if you're T or F, it's more about how you decide to weigh your feelings into the equation that determines it (at least that's my understanding of it). If I wasn't a mega T stereotype irl that constantly battles monotone expression I might have given his accusations a 2nd thought too (and this isn't to say that I don't believe I have a lot of depth of feeling (I mean shit, I work in the arts after all!)).

maybe none of this matters. join the xxxx club

Plus there's that.

Fitz
10-29-2016, 06:03 PM
Nah bro. Embrace the intp.

Faust
10-29-2016, 07:15 PM
Here's a self-check. You might be an INFJ if you like:

-cat pictures
-snark
-private conversations with forum members
-dark-ambient electro-whatsit
-Hope Solo's asshole

That should allay your concern. Based on unfair caricaturization of 1/2 dozen past members.

Fitz
10-29-2016, 07:23 PM

-cat pictures
-snark
-Hope Solo's asshole

based on caricaturization of past members. That should allay your concern.

I'm cured!

Blorg
10-29-2016, 07:48 PM
intp

jigglypuff
10-29-2016, 08:17 PM
intp

we have always lived in the castle!! have you read the haunting of hill house ? omg

Blorg
10-29-2016, 08:28 PM
we have always lived in the castle!! have you read the haunting of hill house ? omg

No but it's on my list :) I just read this http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2016/10/17/the-haunted-mind-of-shirley-jackson which is why I started reminiscing about we have always lived in the castle. perfect halloween book!

Blorg
10-29-2016, 08:57 PM
I might have voted intp in part because I always feel the urge to kick NFs back into the closets where they belong, with the abandoned kittens and floristry supplies.

jigglypuff
10-29-2016, 09:00 PM
No but it's on my list :) I just read this http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2016/10/17/the-haunted-mind-of-shirley-jackson which is why I started reminiscing about we have always lived in the castle. perfect halloween book!

so interesting to read that article. i don't know much about shirley jackson, the person, but as a writer she was fucking brilliant.

the haunting of hill house was terrifying and beautiful and unexpected to me, not having read any of her work before that (besides "the lottery"). it's an excellent one for halloween too. idk if it's just me but i feel like i've been noticing more references to her work recently. i'm glad she's getting more recognition now. & i really have to read more of her stuff.

i was actually gonna post about this in the Book Recommendations thread cuz i'd like to find books that gave me the feeling hill house gave me... it really got into my head while reading it.

/off topic

kari
10-29-2016, 11:15 PM
I don't want to alarm you but you can decide what you want to be

Grape Jelly
10-30-2016, 12:08 AM
Is that really a justification for F-ness, however? I think the T/F divide rather describes on what you tend to base your life decisions on – your feelings of the moment or the hard facts.

Do you pay a lot of attention to how you feel, and does this occupy you greatly? Then you may be an F. Do you often not notice how you feel until after a situation? Then you may be a T.

One of the misconceptions about MBTI is that Thinkers don't have any real feelings at all – which is obviously impossible. I tear up at every other good opera or concert performance I attend, and I don't mind – there's a legitimate reason for being moved here, after all. Emotion in a musical context = acceptable and (in performing) even necessary; emotion anywhere else = just a side distraction that has no real impact on one's course of life. If this compartmentalisation rings familiar, you're probably a T.

INFJ is the musical archetype, but I'm no yo yo Ma. I simply wondered if perhaps I was blind and rationalized being an INTP. A stone cold INFJ musician I know tested as INTJ, but he was pretty constipated at the time. I guess he's going to Stanford now. Interesting.

My INTJ friend who is similar to me, he taught himself piano pretty methodically, how to speed draw. But he learned how to improv on piano pretty well. Like I was telling my ISTP friend, playing the piano is just logic. Of course, he went off on a debate tangent, well it makes logical sense to you. I'm like no, it's just following logical patterns, similar to mathematics. Weirdly, he said he tested as INFJ.

BIOTCH called me an INFJ a few times too, tbh I wouldn't put much stock in anything that person said. I think they just said it to try to rile us up, and I don't think there was anything sincere or deeper to it than that.

INTPS and INFJs have the same thinking and feeling functions so developed INTPs and INFJs are going to have a lot of overlap in their approach to life and the way they appreciate things. The depth to which you're able to feel things doesn't mean much for figuring out if you're T or F, it's more about how you decide to weigh your feelings into the equation that determines it (at least that's my understanding of it). If I wasn't a mega T stereotype irl that constantly battles monotone expression I might have given his accusations a 2nd thought too (and this isn't to say that I don't believe I have a lot of depth of feeling (I mean shit, I work in the arts after all!)).
Plus there's that.

Interesting. I often respond piercingly and am often the voice of reason. I just tend to look at it like emotional tactfulness. There's just things I don't do and don't say, which made me wonder if I simply had a higher EQ. I'm not your archetype by any means, but that unconventionality is pretty INTP if you ask me. Some INTJs can be pretty alienated also, the nerdier ones.

-cat pictures
-snark
-Hope Solo's asshole

That should allay your concern. Based on unfair caricaturization of 1/2 dozen past members.

Thanks Faust06

The only name more ironic than Hope Solo would be Hope Anal. But then again, if I'd even consider a tranvestite, granted a girlier looking one, I'd have to rethink that one.

I think INTP sums it up fair enough. I think I could be a hipster Tiger Woods type.

This aint just about me. Ya'll can come out of the closet too, and we can have a huge bicurious of type get together and talk about the Deets.

Obfuscate
10-30-2016, 05:56 AM

-cat pictures
-snark
-Hope Solo's asshole

according to the world's most credible source (comics), intp like cats more than infj (second only to infp)...

http://oddlydevelopedtypes.com/sites/default/files/styles/comic/public/field/image/The%20Cat%20Lover%20Type.png?itok=R_4kfCr6

pensive_pilgrim
10-30-2016, 10:26 PM
http://i.imgur.com/TsVhHdS.png

Yep, pretty close.

Grape Jelly
10-30-2016, 10:59 PM
YOUR PERSONALITY TYPE IS:
ARCHITECT (INTJ-A)

ExtravertedIntroverted
43%57%
ENERGY
This trait shows where we direct our mental energy.
IntuitiveObservant
69%31%
NATURE
This trait determines how we make decisions and cope with emotions.
ThinkingFeeling
56%44%
TACTICS
This trait reflects our approach to work, planning and decision-making.
JudgingProspecting
61%39%
IDENTITY
This trait underpins all others, showing how confident we are in our abilities and decisions.
AssertiveTurbulent
58%42%

Kinda saw this coming. My preferences have changed over the years. I'm pretty organized, and felt strongly on some of the J questions, seeing things through and whatnot. There were a few that were spot on. I also was truthful on some of the feeler questions, like I wouldn't think being right is more important than upsetting people. I guess I do have a learned sense of empathy in dealing with people.

Hephaestus
10-30-2016, 11:07 PM
according to the world's most credible source (comics), intp like cats more than infj (second only to infp)...

I've long proselytized that the comics is the only section of the newspaper where you can find truth clearly stated. Might be the only place in the newspaper you can find truth.

Tlalocone
10-31-2016, 08:08 PM
Perhaps you are/became a new 'classification' in the MBTI theIntroverted iNtuitive Grape(d)/GROPED Jelly :rofl:

https://cdn.meme.am/instances/57044246.jpg

Lurker
11-01-2016, 09:57 PM
Thanks for not calling me NF

https://66.media.tumblr.com/a904d03fb274b956d85151061700ee04/tumblr_inline_o8fdi1k8Jy1r2eu1z_500.gif

NF = seasonal allergy

S = double pneumonia

SJ = intubation req stat, collapsed lung, acute respiratory distress, vitally unstable

NF? Silly.

There's a reason why an MBTI nerd fight usually includes the obligatory "You're a sensor!" volley. Now that's a word with baggage.

Is that really a justification for F-ness, however? I think the T/F divide rather describes on what you tend to base your life decisions on your feelings of the moment or the hard facts.

One of the misconceptions about MBTI is that Thinkers don't have any real feelings at all which is obviously impossible. I tear up at every other good opera or concert performance I attend, and I don't mind there's a legitimate reason for being moved here, after all. Emotion in a musical context = acceptable and (in performing) even necessary; emotion anywhere else = just a side distraction that has no real impact on one's course of life. If this compartmentalisation rings familiar, you're probably a T.

Well said.

And of course, none of us are this or that, black or white, <insert another binary opp. cliche); it's a continuum, dammit. Humans don't fit specs, there's no quality control. Maybe that's a bad thing.

Kidding aside, I'm always surprised when posters don't scream about fucking either/or errors in thinking. Which, btw, I see F-types use as a Get-Out-of-Jail-Free card; either that, or they really believe that good person/bad person stuff.

MBTI would be more interesting if we all discussed function strength on a scale. There's just more meat in that sandwich.

For instance, I am ~ 60% T, ~40F. So, I am very different from many stronger Ts, sure, but, I am confused and irritated by many INFPs, particularly those with a strong F function. More importantly, I always seem to hurt their feelings unknowlingly and they say I'm cold. I identify as an INTP, even with the weak T.

Maybe each 10 pt. (?) separation is sort of like one standard deviation in IQ, i.e., different orbits

You're neither an F or J. Congrats?

Plus there's that.

-cat pictures
-snark
-Hope Solo's asshole

http://oddlydevelopedtypes.com/sites/default/files/styles/comic/public/field/image/The%20Cat%20Lover%20Type.png?itok=R_4kfCr6

YOUR PERSONALITY TYPE IS:
ARCHITECT (INTJ-A)

ExtravertedIntroverted
43%57%
ENERGY
This trait shows where we direct our mental energy.
IntuitiveObservant
69%31%
NATURE
This trait determines how we make decisions and cope with emotions.
ThinkingFeeling
56%44%
TACTICS
This trait reflects our approach to work, planning and decision-making.
JudgingProspecting
61%39%
IDENTITY
This trait underpins all others, showing how confident we are in our abilities and decisions.
AssertiveTurbulent
58%42%

Kinda saw this coming. My preferences have changed over the years. I'm pretty organized, and felt strongly on some of the J questions, seeing things through and whatnot. There were a few that were spot on. I also was truthful on some of the feeler questions, like I wouldn't think being right is more important than upsetting people. I guess I do have a learned sense of empathy in dealing with people.

I just do this:

Am I introverted or not? Oh yeah, most def.

Do I relate to the sensor stuff or intuitive stuff? Intuitive, most def.

Do I rely on logic or feelings to make decisions (I think)? Does not compute. Question invalid. The brain doesn't compartmentalize like that; but I get the gist, so mostly logic, because I am a human.

J stuff (I start laughing) or P stuff (YES)? P

I think the id is actually straightforward when one ignores the shadow function stuff, or Te, Si, Se,......and on to astrology next!

It's fun to ponder, but I prefer the Y/N 1-4 method.

Blah blah blah.....

G.J., you seem like an ESTJ to me.

Grape Jelly
11-01-2016, 10:14 PM
That made the most sense of anything I've read in the last few days. Do I Iike P stuff? Somewhat, but I like J stuff too mostly. Intuitive stuff? Bear with me here, but I believe an ESFP could be an INTJ if he wants. The info at his fingertips. He could somehow learn of INTJs, read what they read, and mimic their thoughts and mannerisms. Jk, the ESFP has a built in defense mechanism to think that'd be a crappy idea. That's funny, my demeanor has been PC principle lately.

http://images-cdn.9gag.com/photo/aBrbWjx_700b.jpg

Lurker
11-01-2016, 10:22 PM
http://www.cutestpaw.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/12/Fist-bump-by-kitten.jpg

argh delete ohshit so uncool shitshitshit

Resonance
11-01-2016, 10:39 PM
For instance, I am ~ 60% T, ~40F. So, I am very different from many stronger Ts, sure, but, I am confused and irritated by many INFPs, particularly those with a strong F function. More importantly, I always seem to hurt their feelings unknowlingly and they say I'm cold. I identify as an INTP, even with the weak T.

Maybe each 10 pt. (?) separation is sort of like one standard deviation in IQ, i.e., different orbits

All else aside, this is a question with an answer:

https://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/w8grhpijpg5y6z1n5ojp.png

http://s29.postimg.org/poo2zfnqv/bellcurveblanc.jpg

The vast majority of people are within that middle band. Your 60th percentile is 0.2533 SD off from the mean.

Lurker
11-01-2016, 10:48 PM
All else aside, this is a question with an answer:

https://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/w8grhpijpg5y6z1n5ojp.png

http://s29.postimg.org/poo2zfnqv/bellcurveblanc.jpg

The vast majority of people are within the range that MBTI would consider 'X'.

Thank you. Quoted because of...enthusiasm.

Now, if MBTI discussions used the dimensional approach as a foundation for any non-trivial discussion of "MBTI" leanings or (hesitant on this) "categorization," the subject would become interesting again. No consensus or resolution would be had, though. Frustrating, even for Ps.

Grape Jelly
11-03-2016, 01:40 AM
http://www.cutestpaw.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/12/Fist-bump-by-kitten.jpg

argh delete ohshit so uncool shitshitshit

If I happened to read this at a funeral, I'd be fucked. Idk why it strikes me so funny. Still can't stop laughing. Haha