PDA

View Full Version : I'm not an INTP

notdavidlynch
09-09-2017, 10:48 PM
Yesterday I realized that I'm absolutely, positively, 100% certain that I'm not an INTP.

The clarity of the realization was truly odd.

I've always questioned my type. However, these questionings were always muddled by the vague type descriptions themselves, the further confused ramblings of type theory quacks, and my never-ending urge to be one of the hiply cynical kids who dismisses the whole issue as a waste of mentation. It didn't help that over time I got better and better at passing myself off as an INTP, convincing others, in turn convincing myself more, in turn further convincing others even more, etc ad nauseam.

Distancing myself a little bit from this community provided some extra clarity. Making meaningful career progress also gave me more perspective. Being 30 years old can't hurt with this kind of thing either. The most clarity was provided by just being honest with myself about what actually goes on in my head most of the day.

If you're a confused individual with the potential to get distressed by this kind of type ambiguity, then I recommend starting by describing your own behavior and thought processes in your own words, then taking that and matching it to a type. If you do it the other way around by reading the types and trying to decide which fits best, then the process becomes something more like shopping. When you do this you're not deciding the most accurate description of yourself, but rather what you're most comfortable saying is the most accurate description of yourself. You may then engage in the remarkable human capacity for self-deception in order to maintain consistency, and you may potentially alter your own behavior to further reinforce that consistency.

QuickTwist
09-09-2017, 11:17 PM
Not a bad idea. I did something like this (giving myself adjectives and descriptions) a while ago. Feel free to type me based on this:

Introspective
Curious
Meloncholy
Stoic
Deep thinker
Deep feeler
Sympathetic
Mechanically inclined
Big picture thinker
Empathetic
Unemotional
Capricious
Analytical
Story lover
Emperical
Relatively intelligent
Quick to understand
Misunderstood
Don't let on how much I know
Reserved
Quiet
Antsy
Very reasonable
Open to change
Somber
Solumn
Distractable
Musically inclined
Athletic
Relatable
Prone to isolate
Introvert
Articulate
Sensitive
Loving
Music lover
Man of few words
Human
Prone to mistakes
Structure deprived
Passionate
Cares about humanity
Good self image
Ecsentric
Artistic
Very self-conscious
Assertive
Lets fantasies get the better of me
Not a diplomate
Unassuming
Humble
Open
Not looking for a debate

Looks like INFX to me.

Thoughts?

notdavidlynch
09-10-2017, 12:07 AM
Eh, I can't really do that with a keyword list. The things I were thinking of were more abstractish thought patterns that I've engaged in ever since I was very young. On a whim I started trying to describe the processes in writing and on another whim I tried to see if any MBTI types were associated with them, I guess I was lucky enough to find one that described the processes (and general concerns and whatnot) to a T. They weren't the front page, cartoonish sorts of MBTI descriptions that I believe are a major factor in people mistyping themselves.

It was really startling seeing what I had written out well-described in a type description, and it was pretty baffling that I went this long without recognizing these descriptions, even though I know it's because they're describing something quite abstract that I never really cared to give words too. I also avoided ever talking about most of the stuff because I thought a lot of it was weird and embarrassing... and creepy for the most part.

The end result is that the best description of myself just floated along and left me free to browse through the others to try and pick and choose which type best served my ego. It's sort of like going grocery shopping with a list and sticking to it vs. going without one. Sure, if you go without one you'll probably come back with some of what you need, but you might miss some critical stuff, and you'll also most likely be bringing back a bunch of shit that enticed you to buy.

QuickTwist
09-10-2017, 12:48 AM
Eh, I can't really do that with a keyword list. The things I were thinking of were more abstractish thought patterns that I've engaged in ever since I was very young. On a whim I started trying to describe the processes in writing and on another whim I tried to see if any MBTI types were associated with them, I guess I was lucky enough to find one that described the processes (and general concerns and whatnot) to a T. They weren't the front page, cartoonish sorts of MBTI descriptions that I believe are a major factor in people mistyping themselves.

It was really startling seeing what I had written out well-described in a type description, and it was pretty baffling that I went this long without recognizing these descriptions, even though I know it's because they're describing something quite abstract that I never really cared to give words too. I also avoided ever talking about most of the stuff because I thought a lot of it was weird and embarrassing... and creepy for the most part.

The end result is that the best description of myself just floated along and left me free to browse through the others to try and pick and choose which type best served my ego. It's sort of like going grocery shopping with a list and sticking to it vs. going without one. Sure, if you go without one you'll probably come back with some of what you need, but you might miss some critical stuff, and you'll also most likely be bringing back a bunch of shit that enticed you to buy.

So what is your stance on official MBTI tests?

jyng1
09-10-2017, 02:47 AM
So what is your stance on official MBTI tests?

There's no such thing as an MBTI "test".

QuickTwist
09-10-2017, 04:09 AM
There's no such thing as an MBTI "test".

Sorry, I've adapted my own slang to personality instruments. A catch all term born from the sub forum section on INTPf, "Online Tests."