PDA

View Full Version : Genetic testing

BarIII
11-28-2017, 04:44 AM
I'm going to take one of those genetic tests. They sell the kit in drug stores for about $20 and you have to pay about $180 for the actual analysis. For that price the one I saw tells you about your heritage and medical stuff. Any useful information to share? I think there are competing ones. I'll research more before I buy. I may use the results to help me decide where to move. I might want to live near a hospital that's among the best for treating whatever I'm most likely to get.

2hype
11-29-2017, 12:01 AM
I did the 23 and me one. I thought it was interesting. And I like that they keep updating your results, so when they expand the range of things they are testing for, you get new results for free. I found out I carried two genes or... I can’t think of the right word... but there is a chance that I could develop a disease that causes iron to build up in your blood and it damages your organs, and frequently there are no warnings until your organs have already been damaged. So you can bet I’m going to keep an eye on my iron levels from now on, which would have never occurred to me before. I think it’s a good idea.

pensive_pilgrim
11-29-2017, 12:28 AM
I don't think the information they offer is worth the risk. I'm usually not too concerned about data harvesting, but the potential for what you could do with genetic information for a large enough portion of the population is kinda scary.

interprétation erronée
11-29-2017, 12:44 AM
My Sister paid a lot to have ours done. I'm 55% West African (Cote d'Ivoire), 25% Jewish (Ashkenazi), 19% French/Scandinavian, 1% Chop Suey (Asian mish mash) - which I always knew because the recessive trait of epicanthic folds hasn't been bred out yet.

I wonder if the mother land is still accepting 25 percenters on the kibbutz?

BarIII
11-29-2017, 01:02 AM
I was all ready to buy the kit for $200, then I saw there's a 50% off sale if you buy two and I don't know anyone else who may be interested so I'm waiting for a sale that would benefit me. I wasn't going to ask, but anyone here want to split the $200? Then I can mail you your kit (you spit into a container) then I guess you can mail it from wherever you are, or else you'd have to mail it to me and I'd mail it. The sale is supposedly until midnight. I have a Paypal account so I guess I can take Paypal.

rokki balbotox
11-29-2017, 01:35 AM
i did 23andme; wasn't worth the money

on second thought, maybe it was because i now know that i have 50-something% more neanderthal dna than other people sequenced on 23andme

itch
11-29-2017, 03:05 AM
i did 23andme; wasn't worth the money

on second thought, maybe it was because i now know that i have 50-something% more neanderthal dna than other people sequenced on 23andme

Ahh see, that's how they get you. They actually tell that same result to a certain percentage of their customers by default, and a significant number of those customers will pay again for a re-test.

oxyjen
11-29-2017, 03:19 AM
I was all ready to buy the kit for $200, then I saw there's a 50% off sale if you buy two and I don't know anyone else who may be interested so I'm waiting for a sale that would benefit me. I wasn't going to ask, but anyone here want to split the $200? Then I can mail you your kit (you spit into a container) then I guess you can mail it from wherever you are, or else you'd have to mail it to me and I'd mail it. The sale is supposedly until midnight. I have a Paypal account so I guess I can take Paypal.

fyi: the full 23andme analysis is on sale for $150.

I'm tempted to put it on my Christmas list, this sort of thing seems a bit too frivolous for me to spend my own money on. Like 2hype's story, there might be a condition I could be predisposed to and the info might be invaluable.

BarIII
11-29-2017, 04:14 AM
The gift of disease diagnosis. There's a Helen Keller joke like that.

BarIII
11-29-2017, 02:38 PM
fyi: the full 23andme analysis is on sale for $150.

Yeah, it was and I just ordered it.

Sistamatic
11-29-2017, 03:19 PM
Yeah, it was and I just ordered it.
It was 99 at full price back when I did it. That was before the FDA stepped in back when you didn't have to figure out the reference number of the gene in question and do a manual search. They gave you everything right up front in your user interface back then.

last_caress
11-30-2017, 04:48 AM
While the fda limited analysis isn't super mindblowing, the relatively cheap Promethease.com analysis is. Curiosity overcame my significant reservations.

Sistamatic
11-30-2017, 06:15 AM
While the fda limited analysis isn't super mindblowing, the relatively cheap Promethease.com analysis is. Curiosity overcame my significant reservations.

Yes, there are so many third party sites that will give you in depth analysis on the raw data from your 23 and me (or whatever brand) FDA limited report for cheap, which makes you wonder what it is that the FDA thinks they are limiting.

last_caress
11-30-2017, 06:33 AM
Yes, there are so many third party sites that will give you in depth analysis on the raw data from your 23 and me (or whatever brand) FDA limited report for cheap, which makes you wonder what it is that the FDA thinks they are limiting.

I see it as a good faith conservative CYA in the spirit of consumer protection.

pensive_pilgrim
11-30-2017, 07:31 AM
You guys are gonna be sorry when a custom virus takes over your brains and turns you into a human botnet.

last_caress
11-30-2017, 07:37 AM
You guys are gonna be sorry when a custom virus takes over your brains and turns you into a human botnet.

http://cdn-static.denofgeek.com/sites/denofgeek/files/images/306529.jpg

Architect
11-30-2017, 02:00 PM
I did 23 and me with a pre-FDA account. They also later simplified the testing chip to measure less (e.g. the more common stuff people are interested in). I also have had a full genome, which ended up being free due to delays in processing. That one found a defect that 23andme didn't (well there's lots of defects but it found a more important defect, however see below*)

You have to understand though that genetic testing is targeted, they go after particular SNP's or they do it in a particular way. For example a full genome tests for short errors, not things like large blocks which are miscoded, so there are different types of errors they check for. Basically they're good for spot checking, but if you have particular concerns about some defect you want to get a test which targets that and tests that sequence in many different ways.

Other than a handful of defects that kill you when young I believe this kind of static testing isn't that useful presently, because the key is epigenetics or gene expression. Your genes are activated due to environmental pressures, which means how you live is more important than the code you got. Also having a defective snip just means you have a partial which can still encode for that enzyme. Does it still encode well enough? We can't really answer that question yet.

*tl/dr the defect was an enzyme which protects the liver and lungs. My mother was a lifelong smoker who I think died because she stopped breathing (not much lung left and had issues with that). However she also had a fraction of one lung left which was usable at that point, which was 80. She only planned on making it to 80, so I'd call it a long and successful life, and she smoked, and had this defect. She didn't take particularly good care of herself, but did always have garden vegetables with the meals which surely helped.

stigmatica
11-30-2017, 10:07 PM
BAM!

British & Irish 60.3%
French & German 13.9%
Scandinavian 2.6%
Broadly Northwestern European 18.1%
Iberian 1.7%
Broadly Southern European 0.5%
Ashkenazi Jewish Less than 0.1%
Broadly European 1.9%
Native American 0.5%
Broadly East Asian & Native American Less than 0.1%
Middle Eastern & North African 0.3%
North African 0.3%
Unassigned Less than 0.1%

Back Hair Likely little upper back hair
Bald Spot Likely no bald spot
Cheek Dimples Likely no dimples
Cleft Chin Likely no cleft chin
Earlobe Type Likely detached earlobes WRONG
Earwax Type Likely wet earwax
Eye Color Likely lighter eyes
Finger Length Ratio Likely ring finger longer
Freckles Likely little freckling
Hair Curliness Likely straight or wavy
Light or Dark Hair Likely light
Male Hair Loss Likely no hair loss
Newborn Hair Amount Likely little baby hair WRONG
Photic Sneeze Reflex Likely no photic sneeze reflex WRONG
Asparagus Odor Detection Likely can smell
Bitter Taste Likely can taste
Sweet Taste Likely prefers salty
Red Hair Likely no red hair
Skin Pigmentation Likely lighter skin
Toe Length Ratio Likely second toe longer
Unibrow Likely little or no unibrow
Widow's Peak Likely no widow's peak

Genetic Weight Predisposed to weigh less than average ONLY TRUE UNTIL MIDDLE AGE
Lactose Intolerance Likely tolerant
Saturated Fat and Weight Likely similar weight
Alcohol Flush Reaction Unlikely to flush
Caffeine Consumption Likely to consume more
Deep Sleep Less likely to be a deep sleeper
Muscle Composition Common in elite power athletes
Sleep Movement Likely average or less movement

BarIII
11-30-2017, 10:43 PM
"...it was already known that the newly identified gene—IRF4— is responsible for light hair color in people of European origin. But this is the first time researchers have shown that it’s also tied to gray hair color."

They need to add that.

flurps
11-30-2017, 10:51 PM
I got 2 copies of the "warrior" (dickhead) gene. Also the bad at relationships gene. Look out, ladies

Sistamatic
11-30-2017, 11:17 PM

Assuming we retain the capacity to feel sorrow.

MoneyJungle
12-01-2017, 12:07 AM
Assuming we retain the capacity to feel sorrow.

https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/memoryalpha/images/f/f6/Data_crying.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20120730045942&path-prefix=en

Sistamatic
12-01-2017, 12:15 AM
https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/memoryalpha/images/f/f6/Data_crying.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20120730045942&path-prefix=en

https://media.giphy.com/media/k0He6inwBCmw8/giphy.gif

BarIII
12-08-2017, 04:48 PM
My kit is out for delivery. Now I have to decide whether to skip lunch until it comes so I can use it and bring it to the post office today. I think I will. The results could effect where I move. I want to be near the best hospital for whatever I'm most likely to get. But not in a coastal or low lying area or near tornado alley or an earthquake fault or the Yellowstone supervolcano or a big city.

BarIII
12-08-2017, 11:08 PM
The woman at the post office used a folded box as a spatula to handle the box. Another time I wish I was recording everything. I have to wire myself some day.

I chose to let them store the sample. I may get more results in the future that way and I think I'll be asked to take surveys.

Oh, "EXEMPT HUMAN SPECIMEN" probably scared her.

PureViolence
12-09-2017, 01:28 AM
it sounds really interesting but man 200 euros are 200 euros. i mean, dollars or whatever.
i believe my heritage is; south american, spanish - celtiberian, german, italian and some afro, what would be super astonishing would be to find out i've always been a jewish. XD
no hate damn, just a joke. c'mon guys.
but actually i believe that's really unlikely.
about medical stuff, i'm not sure if i want to know what's being cooked inside. :S

BarIII
12-09-2017, 02:35 AM
My...brother of my uncle...second uncle or whatever...told me how a genetic test saved someone's life. I think it was a more targeted test, not 23andme, and it was much more expensive. There are probably examples somewhere of people who discovered a genetic problem and were able to deal with it and minimize it because of 23andme. I'm going to join the 23andme forum and see what they're talking about.

baccheion
12-09-2017, 03:08 AM
I did it a year or so ago. It showed I had high levels of MAO-B among other things. I tried selegiline (MAO-B inhibitor) and other supplements said to increase motivation, but nothing worked. I'll try them again after taking larger doses of opti-MSM and potassium iodide for a while.

BarIII
12-09-2017, 01:10 PM
Now I'm being asked to complete a "20 minute" questionnaire that reminds me of a personality test. For the first question I'm trying to choose whether I'm in good, very good, or excellent health. I'm already stumped.

...it's asking if I was ever diagnosed with hair loss. I'm answering yes to these type questions when I'm self diagnosed and very sure.

interprétation erronée
12-10-2017, 07:01 AM
and some afro

woop woop! power to the people *civil rights fist*.

Limes
12-10-2017, 08:34 AM
I'd like to do one of those tests. My maternal grandfather was Scottish. I'd like to know how Scottish I am.

BarIII
12-12-2017, 02:20 AM
They tested me with a couple of games and I did above average but IDK how old the other people were. I had to click the changing circle and click the moving circle. Then came questions. First: "If forced to choose, would you consider yourself to be more cautious or more adventurous?" Now THAT'S like a personality test question and I bailed. Maybe I'll come back to it eventually.

interprétation erronée
12-12-2017, 05:24 AM
random q: speaking of tests -- anyone taken the johnson o'connor aptitude battery?

BarIII
12-15-2017, 04:06 AM
My sample arrived there in a couple of days, two days ago according to USPS tracking, but 23andme says "receiving" takes 2-4 weeks. It's still at the "receiving" step.

I let them store the sample, which is optional. I may get more information out of it in the future. Another option was to disclose my full name and something else to people who match as being related to me but that I didn't do. I read something about a disclosure I'd have to make to insurance companies that I want to sign up with if I know certain genetic risks. That may be the worst thing about this. It may effect my rates in the future.

BarIII
01-12-2018, 06:34 PM
How long can you hold your hand in ice water?

Take the Cold Pressor Test to help researchers understand the genetics of how we experience pain.

I have to decide whether I want to do this... so far, no.

Charde
01-12-2018, 06:54 PM
I did mine with 23andme a year or two back.... They got the kit to me in about 5 days, and it took about 5-6 weeks to process.

I also used Promethease to parse the data (which is pretty interesting, although there's so many genes that have small bits of tendencies attached overlapping with other genes that it's hard to get a big picture from that... it's more about drill-down views). At the time I did Promethease, they were charging for the upload, then you got 45 days or something before your data was dumped. They currently have had an extended special (I guess they updated their system) where anyone who used them in the past could reupload their data for permanent storage (and yeah, I guess they want to crunch composite data from everyone) without fee and you can create an account and access it ANYTIME for free. But this deal will probably expire Jan 14-15 in case prior users of the service did not get the e-mail.

23andme was okay and is pretty user friendly w/ clean interface, but what I gather is that Ancestry might be better for the family tree folks. I did not have much luck finding relatives on 23andme. The closest hits I got are third cousins and then it goes from there, although I have done some research on my mother's side (with a variety of last names going back through my female lineage) and recognized a few of those unique last names in the genetic hits from other 23andme users.

It did tell me I was predisposed to be 6% heavier than the average for my gender and age. No shit. Except I think my body is nearsighted and thought it said "60%". One thing that surprised me was that I was more French/German than English/Irish (35% vs 25%), and that I was 99.9% European with a 0.1% Asian mix, an ancestor in there about 7-8 generations back. Kind of interesting.

Sistamatic
01-16-2018, 05:49 AM
My husband sent his in December 1st, and it came back a few days ago. He is 99.9 percent European, and 0.1 percent East Asian.

His European breaks down into 73 percent Ashkenazi Jew, and the rest is a smattering of British, Irish, German, french, etc. sort of spread out ... no more than about 3 or 4 percent in any one thing. Which makes sense since he is 3/4 Jewish, one quarter Cajun.

Ethnically Jewish. Not religiously Jewish. Someone on here was trying to convince me that wasn't possible not long ago, but I don't remember who.

Charde
01-16-2018, 04:40 PM
My husband sent his in December 1st, and it came back a few days ago. He is 99.9 percent European, and 0.1 percent East Asian.

His European breaks down into 73 percent Ashkenazi Jew, and the rest is a smattering of British, Irish, German, french, etc. sort of spread out ... no more than about 3 or 4 percent in any one thing. Which makes sense since he is 3/4 Jewish, one quarter Cajun.

Yeah, it's interesting since mine was the same makeup in terms of almost all one thing, with the 0.1% as East Asian too. (Which, since I am interested in stories, makes me wonder who this Asian ancestor was and how s/he got into the mix. 23andme predicts it was sometime around 1750-1790.) I wish there was a way to dig back, but I've only gotten to the early 1800's and am not sure how to proceed further.

Ethnically Jewish. Not religiously Jewish. Someone on here was trying to convince me that wasn't possible not long ago, but I don't remember who.

Of course people can be ethnically Jewish without practicing or believing. I have ethnically Jewish friends from various walks of life who are agnostic or atheist. It's one of those instances where a nationality can also be a faith but not necessarily.

Sistamatic
01-16-2018, 06:07 PM
Of course people can be ethnically Jewish without practicing or believing. I have ethnically Jewish friends from various walks of life who are agnostic or atheist. It's one of those instances where a nationality can also be a faith but not necessarily.

It was very interesting to me just how much homogeneity is there. His one quarter Cajun is made up of a whole slew of things, but apparently all three of his Jewish grandparents came from one extremely isolated genetic background. As of my husband's generation, that homogeneity is falling apart. Ethnic Jews marry outside the faith with regularity, and many non-ethnically Jewish people convert just for the purpose of marrying...which is how my husband came to be 1/4 Cajun. That was on his paternal line, so he got the Cajun name, and since he grew up in a Cajun area, that's where he got most of his culture. He rejected the religion from an early age and refused to Bar Mitzvah, to the ongoing chagrin of his poor mother. So he made that decision more the 30 years ago, but somehow she blamed me for it when she realized I wasn't going to convert so that we could get a rabbi to do the wedding. Like she thought I was going to convert to Judaism so that I could marry her Taoist son. She was such a dramatic pita over the whole thing that we eloped and told her after. (We had been planning a lotr wedding...#nerds)

And the point of that is that the older people in the Jewish community are starting to freak out a little at the way religious Judaism is bleeding followers, and at the fact that it looks like in a few generations, very few non-orthodox people will be ethnically Jewish to the degree that Jews have been for so long, instead, they'll just have some Jewish background.

So, 0.1% ashkenazi myself. I have a Jewish ancestor from way before I could possibly hope to trace my ancestry.

BarIII
01-23-2018, 05:17 PM
I've been checking the website even before receiving email notification and I'm glad I did. My results are in. First thing I found was that I'm likely lactose intolerant, except I eat too much dairy (I'm trying to cut down) and I'm not as far as I know. My ancestry:

European 96.6%
Southern European 96.6%
Italian 80.2%
Balkan 11.6%
Sardinian 0.2%
Iberian 0.1%
Broadly Southern European 4.5%
Middle Eastern & North African 3.1%
Middle Eastern 0.9%
Broadly Middle Eastern & North African 2.2%
Unassigned 0.3%
No Data Available --

Literally all I know about Balka or whatever country it is is that there are "Balkan Islands". Guess I'll do a little research, but it's only 11.6% so no big deal.

BarIII
01-23-2018, 05:28 PM
OK, I think I saw the important stuff. Pretty good news but, as I was instructed before I even was allowed to see some results, it's not the whole story.

I have "fewer Neanderthal variants than 72% of customers."

"...your genetic muscle composition is common in elite power athletes."

BarIII
01-23-2018, 05:58 PM
No mention of cancer anywhere. Maybe there are more reports coming.

Sinny
01-23-2018, 06:03 PM

Are there any other Nationalities that claim to be a faith?

Or any faiths that claim to be a Nationality?

(The only one I can think of right now is "Islamic State/ISIS/ISIL/IS"..

Oh, the irony.)

BarIII
01-23-2018, 07:01 PM
I didn't realize this:

Although we recognize there is interest in reports on the following topics, reports are not available on any of the following topics. The list below is not comprehensive, and conditions not listed here are not necessarily included in our current 23andMe reports.

• Hereditary risks for some adult onset diseases like cancer, diabetes and heart disease
• Hereditary cancer syndromes such as Hereditary Breast and Ovarian Cancer syndrome (HBOC) (BRCA genes) or the hereditary colon cancer syndromes - Lynch syndrome (HNPCC) or familial adenomatous polyposis (FAP)
• Drug response (for example: CYP2D6 and certain HLA alleles)
• Copy number variations (CNVs), balanced rearrangements and mosaicism
• MTHFR analysis, such as a targeted mutation analysis, methylation analysis or detox profile

...I feel like trolling my most distant relative and asking to come to their Christmas dinner.

Sistamatic
01-23-2018, 08:03 PM

Oh, the irony.)

How is ethnicity synonymous with nationality?

Ethnicity is a genetic distinction. Nationality is a matter of citizenship.

Sistamatic
01-23-2018, 08:10 PM
How is ethnicity synonymous with nationality?

Ethnicity is a genetic distinction. Nationality is a matter of citizenship.

Edit: I misread what you were replying to. I'll just leave this up though...

And then I hit reply instead of edit. Sigh.

Sinny
01-23-2018, 08:40 PM
I was just hoping Jenny could expand on this bit:

It's one of those instances where a nationality can also be a faith but not necessarily.

I didn't realise anyone apart from the Jews or ISIS did this.. it's not like my faith is "English", "Irish" or even "British". lol.

(If I had any faith, that is.. but it would be faith and not a nationality)

But then again, we aren't a theocratic, dogmatic society... (anymore)

The Jews are funny... "promised land"... hm.

baccheion
01-23-2018, 11:02 PM
OK, I think I saw the important stuff. Pretty good news but, as I was instructed before I even was allowed to see some results, it's not the whole story.

I have "fewer Neanderthal variants than 72% of customers."

"...your genetic muscle composition is common in elite power athletes."

Other sites like Promethease, SelfDecode, etc provide better analysis (ie, more likely to point out cancer risks).

BarIII
01-24-2018, 01:37 AM
Other sites like Promethease, SelfDecode, etc provide better analysis (ie, more likely to point out cancer risks).

At least they include more stuff. I'm considering Promethease. I downloaded the raw data and for now I'm just looking for a list of some genes I could check for myself. I haven't seen any rsid numbers in the abstracts of studies I've looked at so far but I'll keep looking. I think the government may know what it's doing with the restrictions on 23andme. The information probably isn't clear enough, but I'm willing to look without paying anyone.

baccheion
01-24-2018, 04:07 AM
At least they include more stuff. I'm considering Promethease. I downloaded the raw data and for now I'm just looking for a list of some genes I could check for myself. I haven't seen any rsid numbers in the abstracts of studies I've looked at so far but I'll keep looking. I think the government may know what it's doing with the restrictions on 23andme. The information probably isn't clear enough, but I'm willing to look without paying anyone.

SNPedia

BarIII
01-24-2018, 04:44 AM
SNPedia

Yeah, I didn't think of using them directly. They're no help for cancer in my case AFAIK. The one rsid number mentioned here (https://snpedia.com/index.php/Cancer) is rs2273535 but it's not found in my raw data. I'll look under heart disease next.

...wait...if it's not in my raw data then I guess I don't have that variant and that's good. Anyway there's a lot more information on heart disease.

Limes
01-24-2018, 04:47 AM
Yeah, I didn't think of using them directly. They're no help for cancer in my case AFAIK. The one rsid number mentioned here (https://snpedia.com/index.php/Cancer) is rs2273535 but it's not found in my raw data. I'll look under heart disease next.

Did you find the gene that causes you to run like a Welshman?

BarIII
01-24-2018, 05:01 AM
Did you find the gene that causes you to run like a Welshman?

I came across something about different sized feet but I think that was a list of traits of my relatives, and they're all second cousins or more distant.

Charde
01-24-2018, 02:07 PM

Oh, the irony.)

Well, hey, see, immediately you go straight to the provocative here...

I'm most acquainted with Jewish people since I grew up and live in the NE United States. I've had classmates in high school and especially in college who were Jewish by descent but non-practicing / uninterested in the religious aspects. I guess the Arain (various tribes) from Pakistan etc which seem to identify as Muslims, and probably some other Middle East populations. (Which, interestingly, is where Judaism came from as well. )

I can't say it's a topic I've studied in much detail, so that's about all I have for you. Maybe someone else knows more.

Stepping back just to general comments: If you get into a situation where a particular culture uses religion to solidify its borders and is resistant to outsiders entering the fold, then religion and genetic descent are going to start to become synonymous, right? I mean, hell, the USA is a "melting pot" supposedly, but you still have this notion of it being a "white Christian" country in how it is perceived, even if Christianity does not belong to white people and we have various nationalities here and people of various genetic descent from around the world. In far more homogenous cultures, the overlap will be far more exact and the community more specified to look and believe a certain way. It depends on the role of religion in the culture, how tightly inflow of outsiders (both the people and the ideas) is controlled, how important the faith was to the community's survival, etc.

BarIII
02-06-2018, 03:56 PM
I've been giving more personal information to a possible second or third cousin than practically anyone in my life, but I'm glad I did this. I think I'll ask if he knows of any celebrities in the family.

BarIII
03-06-2018, 02:00 AM
I just "shared" with the first relative I don't know who requested it out of the blue. No message or anything and she's an elderlyish third cousin (maybe she's 60). Should I just share with any "genetic relative" who requests it? I think they get my full name and some other stuff. I don't really see the problem with it but some people probably do.

Sinny
03-06-2018, 02:14 AM
Well, hey, see, immediately you go straight to the provocative here...

I'm most acquainted with Jewish people since I grew up and live in the NE United States. I've had classmates in high school and especially in college who were Jewish by descent but non-practicing / uninterested in the religious aspects. I guess the Arain (various tribes) from Pakistan etc which seem to identify as Muslims, and probably some other Middle East populations. (Which, interestingly, is where Judaism came from as well. )

I can't say it's a topic I've studied in much detail, so that's about all I have for you. Maybe someone else knows more.

Stepping back just to general comments: If you get into a situation where a particular culture uses religion to solidify its borders and is resistant to outsiders entering the fold, then religion and genetic descent are going to start to become synonymous, right? I mean, hell, the USA is a "melting pot" supposedly, but you still have this notion of it being a "white Christian" country in how it is perceived, even if Christianity does not belong to white people and we have various nationalities here and people of various genetic descent from around the world. In far more homogenous cultures, the overlap will be far more exact and the community more specified to look and believe a certain way. It depends on the role of religion in the culture, how tightly inflow of outsiders (both the people and the ideas) is controlled, how important the faith was to the community's survival, etc.

Ta.

Provocative yes, but a legitimate question.
I genuinely want to know if any other race/religion can be likened to the Jews.

Only because of the immense Theocracy of Israel, the illegitimate state, my curiosity is peaked.

(And the Theocracy is just mind blowingly immense - dunno if you ever seen the expose on Abby Martin's Empire Files)

Sinny
03-06-2018, 02:22 AM
You are all making me want to do mine.

I've always been curious, never really had any answers.

I only know a few bits up to my Irish great-grandparents, and English grandparents.

I wonder..what curve balls are lurking the history.

I already know about 90 relatives, so I'm not really interested in connecting with any more, but I'd love to know where I came from yonks ago.

starla
03-06-2018, 05:20 PM
I thought about doing this once but then I got to the point on the 23 and me terms and conditions where they said they'd pretty much roll over for law enforcement if they asked for your dna sample.

I wonder if Mayo Clinic or Washington University can be compelled to share my dna. If so, I've got nothing left to hide because Mayo has a ton of it and Wash U is sequencing my entire genome (though I don't get to see any of the results).

mara
03-06-2018, 05:26 PM
I would not give my DNA as it is in the small print with some of these companies that they get to own your DNA and can obviously then do whatever they like with it

I've also heard people say that they have sent samples to different companies and got back totally different results so how reliable are they?

BarIII
03-06-2018, 05:59 PM
I would not give my DNA as it is in the small print with some of these companies that they get to own your DNA and can obviously then do whatever they like with it

I've also heard people say that they have sent samples to different companies and got back totally different results so how reliable are they?

I think 23 and me is good. I heard that getting more detailed about origins than 23 and me gets is harder. And more medical detail can be misleading because of all the other relevant DNA that we don't know enough about and environmental factors. Also, the raw data that 23 and me doesn't report on isn't as carefully confirmed, so it you use it for another company's more detailed analysis, it won't be as accurate even if there's good science about what the genes mean (since they may not really be your genes due to the less careful analysis).

BarIII
03-06-2018, 09:40 PM
FDA gives 23andMe OK to sell cancer tests directly to public (https://www.reuters.com/article/23andme-fda/update-1-fda-gives-23andme-ok-to-sell-cancer-tests-directly-to-public-idUSL2N1QO1A7)

but

"Only a small percentage of Americans carry one of the three mutations, and most of the 1,000 known BRCA mutations that increase an individual’s cancer risk are not included in the test. The test should not be used as a substitute for regular cancer screenings, he said.

The FDA also cautioned against using the results to make treatment decisions, such as anti-hormone therapies or the surgical removal of the breast or ovaries. Those decisions should be based on confirmatory tests and genetic counseling."

Charde
03-06-2018, 09:54 PM
Yeah, the information has to be taken with a caveat because all genes work together. For example, if they have isolated that people with a particular gene setting have a 1.5% more chance of having a particular disease, it says nothing about the influence of OTHER genes which might decrease someone's chance for the same ailment. So you're kind of cherry-picking only the gene combos that have been studied and for which a connection has been unearthed.

It's a little different for the stuff that is more clearly tied to an outcome (like curly hair, or eye color, etc.). When it comes to ailments with a multiplicity of genes and environmental factors involved, then you have to take it with a grain of salt.

mara
03-07-2018, 10:59 PM
I think 23 and me is good. I heard that getting more detailed about origins than 23 and me gets is harder. And more medical detail can be misleading because of all the other relevant DNA that we don't know enough about and environmental factors. Also, the raw data that 23 and me doesn't report on isn't as carefully confirmed, so it you use it for another company's more detailed analysis, it won't be as accurate even if there's good science about what the genes mean (since they may not really be your genes due to the less careful analysis).

Myriad Genetics CEO Claims He Owns Your Genes
Steven Salzberg
Apr 13, 2013 @ 05:24

With the Supreme Court about to hear a landmark case on gene patents, Myriad Genetics, the company that owns the patents under scrutiny, is going on the offensive. I've written about this case before, when the patents were first thrown out by one court, and then restored by another. Now the Supremes will have the final say.

Just last week, geneticists Jeffrey Rosenfeld and Chris Mason wrote a commentary for the Washington Post that warned about the consequences of companies owning the rights to our gene sequences.
https://www.forbes.com/sites/stevensalzberg/2013/04/13/myriad-genetics-ceo-owns-your-genes/#283efdc34173

BarIII
03-23-2018, 06:46 PM
First thing I found was that I'm likely lactose intolerant, except I eat too much dairy (I'm trying to cut down) and I'm not as far as I know.

Yeah, I can't be lactose intolerant. I've been eating a lot of ice cream, especially the first day when it was still soft (my freezer is at zero) and I was fine.

Lurker
03-24-2018, 07:36 AM
On mom's side, I'm mostly Scandinavian. Then: UK, German, French, Polish, Italian, Native American, Sub-Saharan African...

I need to take the other test.

* Working from memory.

Anyway, One Drop Rule. :chook:

jyng1
03-24-2018, 07:51 AM
On mom's side, I'm mostly Scandinavian. Then: UK, German, French, Polish, Italian, Native American, Sub-Saharan African...

I need to take the other test.

There's a guy at work who says he's part cherokee blackfoot. I think he's full of shit. The guy whose pants were never long enough to reach his shoes from Harlem who said he probably got his family name from some plantation owner was far more believable.

Lurker
03-24-2018, 07:58 AM
There's a guy at work who says he's part cherokee blackfoot. I think he's full of shit. The guy whose pants were never long enough to reach his shoes from Harlem who said he probably got his family name from some plantation owner was far more believable.

It's "cool" to have Native American ancestry -- still. It was when I was in HS, too. Twenty one years ago.

rokki balbotox
03-25-2018, 04:18 AM
23andme... their trait predictions were really far off.

they got a lot wrong in terms of predicting my traits. predicted dark hair/eyes, no widows peak or cleft chin, etc. it was like 90% wrong. probabilities, but still could have been less wrong

oxyjen
03-25-2018, 07:43 PM
My traits were all spot on.

I don't really know much about 23andme family/DNA relatives thing. I'm generally a more private person, but *knowing things* about any given topic appeals to me. In some cases though, ignorance is bliss. My grandma is adopted and don't think she has any interest in finding out her biological relatives. I'd not want to stir the pot if there was some infidelity somewhere....ehh, I don't know.

I off-handedly told my sister she may be at increased risk of being a cystic fibrosis carrier, since I'm one, and if her husband has CF in the family. They want to have kids in a couple years. I'm sure that instead of this being helpful, I've just given something for them to worry about that they have little control over. I can see why in some instances more info is not always better, even though my natural inclination is to seek out knowledge. In her shoes, I'd want to know but INTP's are a strange breed.

rokki balbotox
04-06-2018, 04:18 AM
I just checked my 23andme, and my new region results are in. I thought it would be more, but it only added like 3 things.

Catoptric
04-06-2018, 07:16 AM
I recently decided to get a My Heritage DNA kit, after having seen things I wanted to compare to my brothers results and people showing 5% dna comparison whom don't even show up in the family tree I assembled (though I would need to ask them where there surname might connect as the person in question did not have a tree created or accessible to view. Mostly what I know from dna is already known; that I am German, British, and have some Irish. It costs about $70 with reaults, though it might be limited in what it looks at. I was hoping to find people with my surname in Britain to see any relation, because I have been completely unable to see further in my family tree than 19th century.

flurps
04-06-2018, 06:52 PM
I found out I'm a lot more Irish and Polish than I thought with the new 23andme country zones. This explains why that weird Irish first name Polish last name girl was all over me in high school. Her head and face looks like a giant swollen potato. So does mine and it's kind of off putting which might explain why I opted for a woman with a regular sized head to try and tamp that down in my offspring. My daughter's head is still kind of giant and bulbous but not as bad. I find Irish women really amazingly ugly and mannish but that's just one of those weird Ne user other-preference things, leave the inbreeding to the ever more giant-headed Irish bulbous faced SJs.

Catoptric
04-26-2018, 04:04 PM
I recently decided to get a My Heritage DNA kit, after having seen things I wanted to compare to my brothers results and people showing 5% dna comparison whom don't even show up in the family tree I assembled (though I would need to ask them where there surname might connect as the person in question did not have a tree created or accessible to view. Mostly what I know from dna is already known; that I am German, British, and have some Irish. It costs about $70 with reaults, though it might be limited in what it looks at. I was hoping to find people with my surname in Britain to see any relation, because I have been completely unable to see further in my family tree than 19th century.

https://promethease.com/ is currently giving out free reports with DNA data uploads. I'll admit that I did MyHeritage DNA to show some British (and possibly Irish/Welsh/Scottish, etc) and my brother showed about 20% Brit traits as would be expected, with the rest being German and France region. My traits are almost entirely (98% German and French composite) with 2% Scandinavian (ginger genes I suspect.) DNA shows gene expression that varies widely (showing in the rage of 40% shared DNA between siblings; a distant cousin might have 4-5% if closely linked from a great grandparent, which is interesting. DNA tests sometimes get more involved, and I believe Nat Geo is doing y chromosome analysis (which is little changed from ancestral DNA.) Scandinavian seems to refer to a ginger gene that also exists within the British isle gene mutations; and no doubt this is present in the matrilineal roots.

Promethease detected the usual cancer risks, decent metabolism ("rapid" though it also claims in reference to CYP2C19 Poor Metabolizer for medicine breakdown) and reduce heart issues though potential for aortic calcification, hypertension and other related metabolic issues, age related macular degeneration, glaucoma, significantly increased risk for substance use disorders (rs324420) susceptibility to nicotine dependency and potentially alcohol addiction (though I usually go without smoking anything despite having an ample stock of tobacco, and my drinking is normally limited to one small or large bottle of beer if none at all) and incidentally lower risk for cocaine dependence (I suspect it has to do with how these play into the addictive tendencies,) Bipolar* (I'll address this subject in the next paragraph,) Delayed childhood speech (though later on it claims lower risk of autism,) probably able to digest milk (however I've always had ear infection issues which are also discussed, and it always has something to do with drinking/eating dairy products,) sclerosis, Lupus (haven't noticed this,) increased risk of baldness, rs1935949(T;T) 'exceptional longevity,' rheumatoid arthritis, 2.1x increased risk of Crohn's disease (Uncle has this.)

*Might have two short form 5-HTTLPR. You might have two short-form 5-HTTLPR (serotonin-transporter-linked polymorphic region). Variations in the region have been extensively investigated in connection with neuropsychiatric disorders. Identification of tag haplotypes for 5HTTLPR for different genome-wide SNP platforms. rs10748045(G;G) 1.78x risk of Suicidal ideation in depression or bipolar disorder. reduced MAOA activity rs6323 (R297R / Arg297Arg) is a SNP in the MAOA (monoamine oxidase A) gene. Monoamine oxidase A degrades serotonin, dopamine, epineprine, and norepinephrine. The G allele encodes for the higher activity form of the enzyme. Subjects with major depressive disorder with the highest activity form of the enzyme (G or G/G) had a significantly lower magnitude of placebo response. 7x less likely to respond to certain antidepressants. . . It seems clear where this is going. Admittedly I've never taken any antidepressents however I have dabbled in things like kanna and cbd oil.

I've studied MAOA when using goji berry while inducing LSA through the use of HBW. I wonder if people having a predisposition to reduced MAOA will have more "mystical" approaches to interpreting the world?

flurps
04-26-2018, 04:18 PM
https://promethease.com/ is currently giving out free reports with DNA data uploads. I'll admit that I did MyHeritage DNA to show some British (and possibly Irish/Welsh/Scottish, etc) and my brother showed about 20% Brit traits as would be expected, with the rest being German and France region. My traits are almost entirely (98% German and French composite) with 2% Scandinavian (ginger genes I suspect.) DNA shows gene expression that varies widely (showing in the rage of 40% shared DNA between siblings; a distant cousin might have 4-5% if closely linked from a great grandparent, which is interesting. DNA tests sometimes get more involved, and I believe Nat Geo is doing y chromosome analysis (which is little changed from ancestral DNA.) Scandinavian seems to refer to a ginger gene that also exists within the British isle gene mutations; and no doubt this is present in the matrilineal roots.

Promethease detected the usual cancer risks, decent metabolism and reduce heart issues though potential for aortic calcification, hypertension and other related metabolic issues, age related macular degeneration, glaucoma, significantly increased risk for substance use disorders (rs324420) susceptibility to nicotine dependency and potentially alcohol addiction (though I usually go without smoking anything despite having an ample stock of tobacco, and my drinking is normally limited to one small or large bottle if none at all) and incidentally lower risk for cocaine dependence (I suspect it has to do with how these play into the addictive tendencies,) Bipolar* (I'll address this subject in the next paragraph,) Delayed childhood speech (though later on it claims lower risk of autism,) probably able to digest milk (however I've always had ear infection issues which are also discussed, and it always has something to do with drinking/eating dairy products,) sclerosis, Lupus (haven't noticed this,) increased risk of baldness, rs1935949(T;T) 'exceptional longevity,' rheumatoid arthritis,

*Might have two short form 5-HTTLPR. You might have two short-form 5-HTTLPR (serotonin-transporter-linked polymorphic region). Variations in the region have been extensively investigated in connection with neuropsychiatric disorders. Identification of tag haplotypes for 5HTTLPR for different genome-wide SNP platforms. rs10748045(G;G) 1.78x risk of Suicidal ideation in depression or bipolar disorder. reduced MAOA activity rs6323 (R297R / Arg297Arg) is a SNP in the MAOA (monoamine oxidase A) gene. Monoamine oxidase A degrades serotonin, dopamine, epineprine, and norepinephrine. The G allele encodes for the higher activity form of the enzyme. Subjects with major depressive disorder with the highest activity form of the enzyme (G or G/G) had a significantly lower magnitude of placebo response. It seems clear where this is going.

I've studied MAOA when using goji berry while inducing LSA through the use of HBW. I wonder if people having a predisposition to reduced MAOA will have more "mystical" approaches to interpreting the world?

Dear God what are they doing with our data to justify it being free? I'm scared but there's no way I can resist.

Catoptric
04-26-2018, 04:26 PM
Dear God what are they doing with our data to justify it being free? I'm scared but there's no way I can resist.

I suspect it's just to assist with the research done on the various segments. A lot of the results seem to be from trial and error with many of the reports conflicting or difficult to confirm. Multiple times it said I potentially had risk of Alzheimers or dementia and at other points it said it was a reduced risk. I also came across this part rs2003046(A;C) 0.75x lower risk of Male Pattern Baldness after it earlier claimed I had an increased risk for it (I have however noticed it in family members.)

BarIII
04-26-2018, 04:34 PM
I didn't set up an account or provide an email address. I think the page I'm waiting on auto-refreshes.

Name genome_v5_Full_copy.txt

Email

Status running

Waited 1 seconds

Runtime 15 seconds

Estimated 15 minutes

BarIII
04-26-2018, 05:00 PM
They take you through an explanation of every option in the beginning, like you'll remember, but there are no tool tips when you hover over the options, and no question mark you could click or anything. I'll be complaining about that. I don't like opening documentation in separate windows and trying to find what I want to know.

flurps
04-26-2018, 05:03 PM
https://i.imgur.com/X3mIG6t.png

BarIII
04-26-2018, 05:08 PM
Very confusing/nonfunctioning interface, at least in IE. I tried to get into table mode and I'm not sure I'm there but I don't think so. One page was greyed out, next attempt it hung, then I tried lowering the unintuitively named "allow" field but there's no "submit" or "update" button so I don't know if it worked.

BarIII
04-26-2018, 05:19 PM
I have 317 "bad repute" things out of 24745. How about you?

Starjots
04-26-2018, 05:23 PM
Did the 23andMe a year ago and used Prometheus to get more medical information. Nothing life changing or maybe I'm just obtuse.

On the ancestry side it matches up with family history I've been digging up lately - mostly English/Irish with the rest northern European and a tantalizing little trace of Native American. They identified a thousand relatives or so, quite distant for the most part. None with the same last name and few with names I recognize. My wife has very similar ancestry despite being northerners while my family was almost all from the south.

The medical information was interesting with no obvious really bad genes in there.

Catoptric
04-26-2018, 05:41 PM

184 bad, 1625 good, 10450 not set; total 12259. Seems my test wasn't as complex?

oxyjen
04-26-2018, 07:19 PM

326 bad out of 24215.

Also I've never really enjoyed pot all that much, and looks like I don't have the genetic makeup to be hard-wired for it (although at risk for cannabis psychosis, so it's a good thing that I'm not into it).

I have a ton of shitty drug metabolizing genes.

oxyjen
08-09-2018, 05:45 AM
23 and me updated their reports!

Now it tells me even more things I already knew about myself, like I'm afraid of heights, have shitty musical pitch, and am likely to get eaten up by mosquitoes.

At least I know sample didn't get switched with someone else's.

QuickTwist
08-10-2018, 12:49 AM
I did ancestry.com. I didn't really learn much tbh. They talk about immigration, which is useful, but most of that stuff I already knew because it's not super specific.