PDA

View Full Version : Associate your travel preferences with your MBTI preferences

Mxx
01-23-2018, 02:56 PM
I: Find quiet corners in airports; make sure that any travel itinerary has a combination of stimulation plus down-time; avoid busy seasons, times, and large gatherings of humans (find a great view of a landmark versus standing in a cattle queue to visit said landmark). If alone, wear headphones all the time, even when not listening to music.
N: Combination of doing and exploring, but also finding time to daydream over cityscapes or landscapes, and wander about.
T: Efficiency rules - travel light with only bare essentials. Be an informed and smart traveller.
P: Where possible, have a menu of options to choose from depending on mood and weather, rather than schedule everything. Ideally, move base location after two nights to keep things fresh and new.

Revenant
01-23-2018, 03:22 PM
I: Please don't sit next to me. Please don't sit next to me. Oh god, they're sitting next to me. Don't speak to me. Oh, FFS, it's an extrovert.
N: Now that this thing beside me has STFU, I can go back to gazing out of the window and wondering how airflow across the wings is maintained at differing altitudes.
T: There should be plenty to occupy my mind on this trip - what with all the history, culture, natural phenomena, differing legal structure and languages.
P: I have a good plan for how I'm going to spend the trip. But I'm not going to do that, and I know it. I'll end up just doing whatever I feel like each day and I won't have time to do all the things I said I could do in half that time.

Sinny
01-23-2018, 03:27 PM
I: Ingressing.

N: Nothing but Ingressing.

T: Tea and spliff before more Ingressing.

P: Pissin down with rain, how am I supposed to Ingress now?!

(Wait, am I doing this right? Aha)

Mxx
01-23-2018, 03:28 PM
I won't have time to do all the things I said I could do in half that time.

Also: get hopelessly lost when the destination you were looking for was right in front of your eyes when you first went to search for it.

Sinny
01-23-2018, 03:29 PM
Also: get hopelessly lost when the destination you were looking for was right in front of your eyes when you first went to search for it.

Ha. That's him.

Revenant
01-23-2018, 03:32 PM
<_< I was only lost because you gave me the wrong address because someone gave you the wrong address.

Sinny
01-23-2018, 03:40 PM
<_< I was only lost because you gave me the wrong address because someone gave you the wrong address.

That's got nothing to do with retarded fucks only looking at one side of a two way street.

kari
01-23-2018, 10:54 PM
A // secretly wishing the person next to me will start a conversation with me, while I maintain an internal atmosphere of restless reticence

N // looking out the window daydreaming and wondering if chicken nuggets are an appropriate protein addition to salads

T // listening to babies crying on the train/plane and thinking about the first Law I'd enact as a fresh dictator is to introduce babyless train carriages / plane compartments

P // missing my train stop, shrugging, get off at a new stop and explore the suburb like the haughty flâneur I am

Ptah
01-24-2018, 01:29 AM
I: I very strongly prefer not to travel. When I must, I spend most of my time in my own head, attending to my imagination.

N: If/when I must travel, if and as I am not in my own head, attending to my imagination, I am just surfing the ambient sensory input (sight, sound, smell, feel, etc) in my environment for things which can inform and/or inspire my imagination.

T: If/when I must travel, I think out in advance all the ways in which I can maximize my imagination-time, reduce my time unnecessarily out and about and/or in foreign or difficult (qua must-attend-to) situations. I scheme to daydream, in short. Keep things very predictable, so that I don't have to pay much if any attention to them.

P: If/when I must travel, P serves T, yielding possibilities to consider to min/max the thing strongly in favor of minimum travel duration, minimal unfamiliar and/or must-attend to circumstances, maximum comfortable, solitary, imagination time. Mountains of "what ifs", to which T can assign the "thens", chaining them into "if-thens", graphing them out along causal relationships, finding the ideal path.

Recent example: As it happens, I just had to travel for work. My (work-arranged) flights and accommodations were such that I arrived a full day early, staying in an area easily explored on foot with lots of shops, nightlife and cultural whatnot to explore. I wanted none of it. I got off the plane, went right to my room, and didn't leave until the next day, for work. I had an evening to kill before my flight back. Again, I left the work situation (declined the fluff, optional dinner with colleagues), went right to my room, and stayed there until I had to leave for my flight. All that time in my room? At first, preparing for the work thing (to make sure it goes quickly and smoothly, to ensure I don't have to stay any longer ... possibly even get out earlier*), and after that was done, attending to my imagination. Listened to music, wrote, doodled, and just flat out daydreamed for hours on end.

*which was successful, I got out an hour ahead of schedule due to my efforts.

On those rare occasions when I do travel, like want to travel of my own accord, it is to go and see or do a specific thing. I go there, do that thing, and go home. Within that thing, there can be a "go with the flow" dynamic, but kept within the borders of that thing. The things I am given to travel for almost always have some strong imagination-appeal. I don't care about the people or culture... in fact, I'd prefer to (and work to) avoid them entirely. I care about, say, architecture, art, scenery or other such things best experienced in-person.

Hephaestus
01-24-2018, 05:59 AM
void INTP.chameleonCircuit(string travelType, int companions, bool desiredTrip, float duration)
{

///left as an exercise for the reader
}

Madrigal
01-29-2018, 03:22 AM
If I'm travelling alone, I like talking to random people. Unless they're all trying to sell you something.

When I get on a plane, I always say a polite hello to the person sitting next to me when I sit down (not meaning to start a convo or anything), but sometimes they just stare back like they have a fucking mental problem.

PureViolence
01-29-2018, 03:30 AM
I: i steal pens to fill forms just before landing so they don't retain me as a possible terrorist
S: look for the cheapest mcdonalds or burger king to have lunch
F: make love to several local girls and sing them songs and write them shit
P: sorry

zago
01-29-2018, 04:57 AM
I pretty much never travel

I - like staying home
N - can travel in my brain, barely need world for stimulus
T - Travel is not really the best way to learn about a place--in fact it can be deceiving. Numbers otoh don't lie.
P - too lazy to plan a trip

Limes
01-29-2018, 06:37 AM
I: Keep me away from the unwashed masses. I like Detroit airport, because it has lots of seating and empty gates. One of the most introvert friendly airports, plus, more likely to get upgrades as the cross-continent herd stampede through ATL, SLC, DFW, IAD etc.
N: I don't usually need to read, I can spend hours processing information, even conversations and how future ones might go.
T: Thinking of eugenics, half of these mouthbreathers shouldn't be here. Thinking the guy having a conversation with the clerk at the front of a retail line should phone a friend if he's feeling lonely. Thinking I'd like a coffee, but not enough to want to stand in a sheep dip line for it. Think this fucking California smogbowl dwelling, vapid, seating deprived, chicken coup airport has no dividers between the urinals. Think that asshole who just coughed nearby should have stayed home. Think my immunity is being hardened by small dose exposure.
X: I have an itinerary and a backup plan, but if the connection is tight, I'm just going to wing it and not even run. Fuck that. On vacation, I will see what I feel like doing on a day-to-day basis, maybe hourly, maybe by the minute!

Starjots
01-30-2018, 06:40 PM
I: like to travel, but with my home, like a turtle. When I've had enough, back to the motor home. If it's a flying trip where hotels are necessary, the hotel will do.
N: I tend to infer a lot from a few chance encounters. In two or three conversations with locals, my opinion is formed, at least for the time being. I want to see as much as possible, but based on these impressions, some places I want to see once, some more than once.
T: I live in a nice town in a good house and a scenic state. But novelty is good for my mind and even my imagination. As a traveler, I'm a browser. See some stuff, get a feel for the place and move on. There's always more to see. Second trips to even a great place aren't quite as good as the first trip.
P: There is enormous variation on Earth and in humanity. I do not occupy a privileged position in that experience space because I happen to be me. I like to take it in, this variation. I also prefer driving.

PureViolence
06-02-2018, 09:30 PM
I: i steal pens to fill forms just before landing so they don't retain me as a possible terrorist
S: look for the cheapest mcdonalds or burger king to have lunch
F: make love to several local girls and sing them songs and write them shit
P: sorry

omg, such a great post, XD, just saying

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Sappho
06-02-2018, 09:40 PM
I: Let's go during the week and visit museums and natural sights in the early morning, when there's nobody else around.
N: What are you doing? Stay at home, there's more useful things to do there.
T: I really should have stayed at home. I could be doing more useful things there.
J: Checklists, checklists everywhere.

jigglypuff
06-02-2018, 11:07 PM
i: *feels temptation to take a nap / withdraw from people in the middle of the day*

n: what's there to do that's mentally stimulating? please, no shopping. *spends 5 hours browsing the city's famous bookstores*

t: *obsessed with strategy and efficiency, makes a detailed battle plan for each day utilizing whatever resources are available*

p: what are those 500 things i really wanted to see/do??? okay, let's start here *goes to whatever feels right atm*

i guess these sorta melt into each other.

NedLudd
06-03-2018, 12:25 AM
I: I tend to travel more for natural beauty and to get away from cities. Scotland and Norway have been some of my favorite destinations for this reason.
N: I tend towards simple activities such as walking/hiking rather than things such as canoeing/kayaking, horseback riding, etc
T: I'm not very drawn to the sentimental aspects of places, although I do really enjoy engaging in a city's infrastructure when it's impressive
P: I plan schedules in terms of putting myself somewhere for a set period of time, but largely leave what exactly I'll be doing to the day or moment.

Blorg
06-03-2018, 06:30 AM
I: Prefer nature trips free of crowds
N: look forward to all the train and plane rides because it means reading time
F: when traveling with others, always thinking about how they're enjoying the trip and how to improve the experience
P: prefer to leave extra time in a location for spontaneous activities

MoneyJungle
06-03-2018, 06:55 AM
INFP = window seat. I'm willing to trip all over people when it's time to fulfill biological imperatives so long as I can look down on the world from an artificial vacuum.