Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rating Threads

Type
    INTj

Rating Threads

I think this is a very cool feature that I'm trying to use more often. It provides a form of anonymous feedback on which the OP can make future judgements about whether or not they should start a thread (or how they can rephrase their ideas based on previous positive/negative feedback in order to make their thread more conducive to collaboration/discussion). It doesn't (IMHO) reflect my (or the (anthropomorphized) forum's) opinion of the member, only the quality of the original post, and how much (subjectively) useful discussion can be generated from it.

So i guess I'm just encouraging people to rate threads more (or start)...

Type
    INTP
    *prepares for glut of passive aggressive 1-star ratings*

I had actually thought of suggesting this feature because I didn't know it was already implemented.

Type
    INTP
    Eh, the thread ratings thing is here only because I can't easily shut it off (there's no ready option other than hacking it from the code) -- it is a part of stock vBulletin.

If I (easily) could, I'd take it out. Why? It is akin to the "Like" button thing that was bounced (in another thread), in my mind. And why I whacked "Points" from the reputation system, leaving it only a post-remarking feature.

But, since it causes no particular harm... meh.

Type
    INfj
    Are you sure you want me rating your threads, Prometheus?
    Empty your mind. Be formless. Shapeless. Like water. Water can flow, or it can crash. Be water, my friend.

Type
    xxxx
    it's good for passive aggressive people but also for those who have good reasons for avoiding certain OPs.

Type
    INTj
    Quote Originally Posted by Resonance View Post
    Are you sure you want me rating your threads, Prometheus?
    I've rated my own threads 1-3 stars before, and never any higher... So yes, I do, I want feedback! I want to improve myself...

Banned
    Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by rincon View Post
    *prepares for glut of passive aggressive 1-star ratings*
    I give those to myself, sometimes. You can rate yourself, so you can potentially create the reddit "bandwagon" effect. I think relying too much on this kind of thing, having witnessed reddit, might not be the best idea, but then again, part of what happened with Reddit is it got too big in terms of a user base.... I don't see us ever becoming that "mainstream" under the best of circumstances. There were two things that bugged me the most, and one of them was that karma whoring created top threads/links that weren't that interesting just because they agreed with a commonly held opinion, or they had some dopey picture. I like image macros, but they belong with in a topic... I don't want to see them as the topic themselves. I don't really want to get into the other thing.

Type
    INfj
    Quote Originally Posted by prometheus View Post
    I've rated my own threads 1-3 stars before, and never any higher... So yes, I do, I want feedback! I want to improve myself...
    hahaha, I was just teasing because of how I reacted to the first thread of yours I saw.

But I like that you're starting threads and encouraging discussion. Just no more OPs copied and pasted from timecube.com okay?
    Empty your mind. Be formless. Shapeless. Like water. Water can flow, or it can crash. Be water, my friend.

Banned
    Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Resonance View Post
    hahaha, I was just teasing because of how I reacted to the first thread of yours I saw.

But I like that you're starting threads and encouraging discussion. Just no more OPs copied and pasted from timecube.com okay?
    I agree. Timedodecahedron.com is where it's at.