Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why Do You Think Abrahamic Religions Exists?

Type
    INTj

Why Do You Think Abrahamic Religions Exists?

Here's my answer...

People can't handle the harsh reality that there is no apparent meaning to life, and we as humans need meaning in order to feel satiated by our actions. Without believing in an extrinsic meaning to life I think most people wouldn't be able to cope. It is just so convenient to believe, instead of to think and accept what we cannot know. The cycle is hard to break if you're indoctrinated at birth, so I just accept most people for what they believe now... unless said belief infringes upon the natural rights of others.

So, yeah, I think (abrahamic) religions are fantastically contrived coping mechanisms for reality.

Type
    intp
    Why specifically the Abrahamic faiths?

Banned
    Type
    INTP
    Probably, but I get the appeal of a Superparent. The way people think of God is a lot like the way children think of their parents. I don't think it's a coincidence that the language is the same. I guess the idea behind the Son of God, then, is for you to be the favorite?

I'd say the Abrahamic faiths were probably singled out because they all have this thing about God the Father. Catholicism has a mother figure with Mary ( I know she's not God, but she has at least as many statues as Jesus, it seems), Judaism and Islam use a lot less specific imagery, but the language is still there, and it's still there in all the scriptures.

I suspect the reason Christianity uses more imagery and iconography has something to do with it being adopted by the Roman Empire.

As for Judaism, I have a tinfoil hat theory that Akenhaten and the Hyksos might have something to do with its origins. The timeline between Akenhaten and an Egyptian-style garrison in Canaan seems to either overlap, or came very close to overlapping. It's not inconceivable that it could have spread and transformed.
    Last edited by msg_v2; 04-21-2014 at 01:12 AM.

Type
    INTP
    I always thought it was presented that way because those were concepts people could easily relate to and understand 2000+ years ago.
    Yes, I smell like a horse. No, I don't consider that a problem.

Senior Member Tetris Champion notdavidlynch's Avatar
    Type
    INXP
    For a second I read the title as "Why Do You Think Abraham Lincoln Exists?".

Banned
    Type
    INTP
    Abraham Lincoln can be proven.

Type
    intp
    What about God the Mother, the dysfunctional family in greek mythology, or ancestor worship?

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by sandwitch View Post
    What about God the Mother, the dysfunctional family in greek mythology, or ancestor worship?
    You've got to admit, those statuettes from 20-30-40 thousand years ago are incredible. I am lucky to have seen cave drawings in France from as far back as 50,000 years ago and it was mind blowing. There is this sense of connection with ancestors from so long ago, like we get it, we're all human and so were they.

Banned
    Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by sandwitch View Post
    I think the entire point of the Greek religion was "shit happens."

Ancestor worship and goddess worship are kind of the same thing as Superparents.

Type
    INTP
    There isn't just one reason, but a core purpose was to unite peoples and tribes (this was more overt with Islam possibly), for which monotheism is a logical course. The finer details may be political.