Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5131415

Thread: What do you think about abortion?

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by pensive_pilgrim View Post
    It's an interesting observation to me. If these people have a long-established pattern of being impulsive and unwise, I wonder why that is. Could they simply decide one day to stop being that way, and then after that behave responsibly? After all, aren't there varying degrees of "having a choice about it"?

I say this as a person with an undoubtedly clear pattern of such behavior. Lots of people are idiots, it doesn't make us bad people.
    Impulsiveness by itself doesn't make a person bad, no, (and "bad person" is a really loaded concept that would be worth its own thread tbh) but how one handles the aftermath of their impulsive behavior does carry some weight in my mind about what their character is (that's also its own side tangent).

Of the antidotal amount of people I've known that have gotten pregnant/gotten someone pregnant: from what I can tell the majority of them over time grew into being substantially more responsible and stable people. It's possible to grow into and out of bad ways of behaving, it just takes a lot of time and conscious effort (though less effort is needed for developing negatively, I've noticed...). I do recognize that if someone has a pattern of irresponsibility as part of their personal brand of issues that they sort of have an extra part of the deck stacked against them in terms of addressing it (due to being, you know, irresponsible).

I've seen some really incredible transformations though from people I grew up with. As cheesy as this sounds -- it isn't that they became different people, they legitimately became the best version of themselves.

Type
    INTP
    I know a lady engineer who got accidentally knocked up. But she was/is married and they are fine parents so no biggie. Did she trap her husband?
    I think when this happens to people that have their shit together they just accept their bad luck and make the best of it instead of blaming someone else for their bad decisions. So you never even realize it was an accident. I only know because she mentioned how stupid she felt for getting accidentally pregnant.

Type
    intp
    Quote Originally Posted by starla View Post
    I know a lady engineer who got accidentally knocked up. But she was/is married and they are fine parents so no biggie.
    Apparently a large percentage of abortions here are to married women with kids already, "one more would break us".

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by starla View Post
    So he failed to use a condom with good intentions? Sorry, I just don't buy into the idea that birth control is the woman's problem. If you don't want to have a baby, use birth control. He didn't.
    It's not uncommon for people to prefer condomless sex by a huge margin vs condomed sex. If the indication is that she's at a point in her cycle when conception is unlikely and that she'd be willing to terminate in the event that she got pregnant, I don't really think there's a need for such harsh coldness.

Don't get me wrong, if she does have the baby, I believe in doing the right thing and being responsible for one's actions...I just think also, that it is an obvious thing that a person should disclose: 'If I get pregnant, I will be bringing the baby to full term whether you like it or not'.

I know that a lot of INTPs are socially oblivious, but for the rest of the world, context clues count. I think that giving a false impression of one's intentions is worse, ethically, than merely being irresponsible.
    ...the origin of emotional sickness lay in people’s belief that they were their personalities...
    "The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense, not between right and wrong." ~Carl Jung

Type
    INTP
    Baby trap in the making:
    https://m.facebook.com/TWASTT2/posts...ernal&mt_nav=0

(Attempting to baby trap a Marine)
    When tyranny becomes law
    Rebellion becomes duty.