Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Twitter

Senior Member Tetris Champion notdavidlynch's Avatar
    Type
    INXP

Twitter

Who uses it? What for?

I used to have a semi-normal Twitter account where I posted the occasional photo and inane thought, but no longer. Now I have an "artist" twitter account where I'm compelled to Tweet much less often in order to not look like an idiot.

Most everything I follow pertains to the creative coding community. It seems that Twitter is kind of a big deal within that sphere, much more so than any other artistic community it seems, and everyone seems really, really active. But, I everytime I try to sit down and actually get into it, looking through all the Tweets and re-Tweets, my head starts to swim. It's a constant deluge of links to videos and articles and such that each could take anywhere from 5 mins to 30 mins to hours of your life away.

How do people manage this? Before, the problem I had with Twitter was that everything was inane and boring, now the problem I have is that it makes me feel guilty or incompetent or inadequate for not being able to keep up.

And, oh yeah, fuck WIRED. Don't follow them! Once you do it seems that most everything else gets washed out of your feed.

Type
    INFP
    It's actually really useful for finding interesting reading materials, if you follow the right people.

I use feedly too, but for some reason I can always find more interesting stuff through twitter, even though I pretty much follow the same people on both sites.

My favorite trolly account is Carrot Facts (@RealCarrotFacts). or maybe God (I think it's called TheTweetofGod but I don't remember).

Type
    xxxx
    discussion about twitter uses has gotten so... idk. you're behind on the times if you're still asking. twitter drama and gossip makes mainstream news now. it's pop culture.

i like following news, journalists, activists, art/design things, book stuff, independent magazines, local museums, etc. though not many individual artists because i'm not too interested in their non-art thoughts unless i know them personally. i keep a personal acct and an artist acct and am more active on the personal one. for art tweets i x-tweet (should i just retweet myself? hasn't gotten to that point yet).

Type
    INXP
    Quote Originally Posted by tele View Post
    discussion about twitter uses has gotten so... idk. you're behind on the times if you're still asking.
    The prevalent uses of these platforms are always changing. I get the sense that there are many ever-evolving worlds and usage patterns within Twitter and I'd like to hear about them, if people are aware. If you're not still asking, then you're not really getting it.

My use is already well-defined and specific. I'm concerned more with management strategies. There are plenty of plugins and softwarez available for this but I find myself bouncing between machines and browsers too frequently. I also find that staying connected via mobile is more for the kind of inane posting that I'd like to avoid.

Off topic, but, almost no one that I know at school uses Twitter save for those in the MAT dept (i.e. enmeshed in the creative coding community). In general it's moved on to being a more substantial (non-social) platform since I started. All the cool kids are using Snapchat (which I hate) as well as the standbys of Instagram and Facebook.

Type
    INTP
    Twitter never even so much as loaded on my computer prior to establishing this site. Previously, I'd gone in and blacklisted its domain(s), along with all other social media outlets, as such.

Now I use it only in the sense that this site has a Twitter outlet. A very calculated means to very specific end. Even so, I sneer with bitter contempt (nevermind a degree of cognitive dissonance) that it (Twitter, in general) even exists every time I have to so much as look at it.

*shrug*

edit: if someone seriously wants to take over the role of managing the INTPx twitter, PM me.
    Last edited by Ptah; 04-21-2014 at 05:14 PM.

Type
    xxxx
    @notdavidlynch what do you mean by management strategy?

i post from an extension if i'm managing multiple accts that makes x-tweeting really easy. if it's strictly ~business~ and marketing for you there's probably 50 diff strategies to getting more followers and influence but i haven't gotten into that game just yet. i've heard of writing tweets in advance and using an app to post them at specific times or intervals but marketing isn't my primary use so i can't talk about that.

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    I'm active on twitter. I run a few accounts for clients with different goals and strategies, depending on their needs.

My own account I use a lot for gathering info and networking. I like it because I can seek out interesting people that I admire and introduce myself to them if I so choose. Right now as a bit of a project for myself I'm using it to survey the landscape in the UK before I get there.

If you're feeling overwhelmed then try making some lists of specific topics or users you want to follow. Whenever I'm pressed for time I'll just skim the list of people I really know and or care about and then call it a day. I also make liberal use of the autoscheduling feature in hootsuite in the morning, maybe check sometime later in the day to respond to anyone who has replied.

Type
    INXP
    I'm working on making a faux seismograph that I'm going to use to get readings from my stomach after I've eaten some nasty food. I planned to just take video (for documentation) and then present the data as prints (printed on velum perhaps, with lines that imitate ink, formatted and presented as if it were a real earthquake), but my instructor just now told me that she wouldn't mind me spending the entire quarter to make a wearable wireless enabled device that sends the same info to Twitter (still presented as fake earthquake data?). Hmm.

a fool on a journey pensive_pilgrim's Avatar
    Type
    INTP
    I've tried to get into it before but it seems like everything being said there is so inane I just can't bring myself to give a shit. Same way I feel about Facebook I guess.