Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Jobs You Wouldn't (or can't) Go Into, But are Very Interested In

Type
    INTj

Jobs You Wouldn't (or can't) Go Into, But are Very Interested In

I really wanted to be a surgeon when I was a kid, but then I saw the schooling and other, what some might deem to be extraneous, work that you have to put into it. "Saving" other people's lives seems like the ultimate rush/form of satiation. I don't love myself (on many levels, really...), but I "love" others...

I would really like to be an experimental neuropharmacologist, but it would require schooling... Instead I formed a company that allows me to act as one, legally (at least experimenting on myself), and to hire others with an actual degree... This is the coolest field in my opinion, penultimate to --

--becoming a SAD member of the CIA, which would require too much time in my opinion... But who doesn't want to be a spy? You know they're there, you know it is an actual job... but the qualifications are vast and I don't feel like working my way up so slowly.
    Last edited by Perdix; 04-21-2014 at 04:45 PM.

Type
    INFP
    my three ambitions as a kid were: ballerina, marine biologist, and sculptor (simultaneously).
    currently: no idea. Everything has drawbacks. Preferably: easy, unstressful, liveable money, lack of people, lack of math, lack of detail, potential for travel, flexible hours/vacations. probably off-topic.

Quote Originally Posted by prometheus View Post
    --becoming a SAD member of the CIA, which would require too much time in my opinion... But who doesn't want to be a spy? You know they're there, you know it is an actual job... but the qualifications are vast and I don't feel like working my way up so slowly.
    I almost applied for a CIA internship-- I got to the stage where I submitted all my personal information (great, now I'm probably listed as evil), but I didn't click the final button because I decided the CIA is too creepy. Spy careers are fun to think about, though.

Type
    INTP
    I would love to be an old fashioned country doctor/naturopath/midwife. More holistic/general problem-solving than most medical professions, ideally with less bureaucratic BS.

If I believed the CIA was doing anything really useful with their resources, spying would be fun and interesting. Lonely, though.

I wish that someone had sat me down in high school and told me to pursue medicine because it's useful and that I can study all the fun stuff on my own.

Type
    INTP
    Educator. But not in the pathetic wreck of an education system we have now. In fact, not even in the world we have now, otherwise.

Type
    INTP
    I wanted to be an astronaut but there were height restrictions back in the day and I had exceeded the ones for women by the time I was in high school. I also wanted to be a rock musician but the lifestyle didn't suit me. Librarian also appealed to me but the customer service element did not.
    Yes, I smell like a horse. No, I don't consider that a problem.

Type
    xNxx
    I wanted to be immortalized and transcend humanity somehow.

Physics- the quintessential forefront of human knowledge. The big story I'd tell myself is of Hubble discovering galaxies, and for a night being the only person who knew how vast the universe is.

Writing code- the other boundless forefront of human knowledge. Making little alexandrian knots of logic is just too fucking cool.

Writing words- these dickheads are the best- lead a totally unrepentant life, dissolute or solitary, inebriated and unforgivable. waste your life, or so it seems, then drop a majestic load of art on the world and be worshipped as a literal god until the end of time.

In the end I chose music because I was good at it and it shares important aspects with the other paths. I'm often working in solitude, hearing things first, soaring because of how great they feel. There's no ceiling to logic, complexity, or elegance in music. I can also be decently inebriated without consequence.

Type
    xxxx
    so many things. engineering, writing, scientific illustration, film/photography, lots of design disciplines, journalism are a few. for most i'm simply lacking resources and missed the crucial incubation periods that presented themselves too early, before i developed the maturity for important decision-making. i'm young, though, and secretly have grown rather resentful of the notion that you must make a ~career~ out of anything, esp if it's art, in order to be a true [whatever]. what's more important is to sustain personal growth, motivate oneself and see the connections between things. there's no one formula for fulfillment.

Type
    INTP
    Law, Medicine, politics.
    I don't have the temperament to make it through medical school. It sounds awful whenever i hear about it, but having the skills seems useful.

Being a supreme court judge seems like a cool job. Forcing people to read my inane opinions on pointless topics for generations to come.
    Similarly, being a congressman seems like it could be a lot of fun... plus I'd have a better view into why things are the way they are in the US. But again... there are a number of prerequisites for these jobs that I just don't posses.
    Violence is never the right answer, unless used against heathens and monsters.

Type
    INTP
    Explorer: other planets, other worlds.

Xeno-archaeologist: travel to other planets and study what alien cultures used to be like.

a fool on a journey pensive_pilgrim's Avatar
    Type
    INTP
    I always kinda wanted to go into the military. I signed up several times actually, but each time I got kicked out before I even shipped off to boot camp. I wanted to be a marine corps grunt and kill people when I was 18, then after that I thought it would be cool to be in the navy on a nuclear sub or aircraft carrier. I think the regimented lifestyle would have agreed with me, clear standards and straightforward communication, and I like the idea of the mentality of people working together as a team under the most intense of stresses to achieve a goal. The camaraderie of people who live and work together and all share the same culture dictated by principle and pragmatism. From what I've heard from friends and relatives who went in though, it's usually not like that and is full of its own special kind of bullshit. Still, whenever I watch a semi-realistic movie about military stuff I feel like I could get into that.