Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Working from Home Dilemma

Type
    INTP

Working from Home Dilemma

So I just had a baby. I have fair amount of time on my hands and I would like to be making money, possible from home, by 2015.

Option 1: Pro-Blogging

On the one hand, I certainly have the technical skills in term of English composition and style.

On the other hand, I feel like not only do I personally have nothing to say to the web at large, but at least 90% of the paid work out there I couldn't less about.

Possible plan of action: I suppose I could create a WordPress blog. I would have to wrack my brain for some subject that would hold my interest enough to regularly write fun, informative, conversational articles about. Ideally this would build an audience in itself or at least give me writing samples with which to sell my talent.

Option 2: Writing White Papers

Similar to the above, but less conversational, more businesslike/academic.

The problem is still a catch 22. To get work, you need to have work, and there's nothing that I'm engaged in right now that I feel I can write about.

Also, I have yet to find any actual advertisement for writing white papers, though presumably it does exist.

...Working from home is just so abstract. When I'm in an office surrounded by people, working for people, it's much easier to get into a productive mindset. I like to troubleshoot. It's easier when I have other people's troubles, some external value scheme to work with.

When it comes to content writing, there are so many voices on the internet, I honestly feel like I have nothing to contribute.

Option 3: Coding

I'm not really expecting to get any stay-at-home work from this, but I am learning to code in an effort to enhance my resume, with an eye toward eventually getting what will ideally be a flexible office job.

Pros: Requires much less motivation than writing.
    Cons: My guess is that it would take more than a few months to develop marketable skills in this area.

Option 4: The Stock Market

A few problems here. First, I feel that the stock market functions brilliantly as a scheme to entangle the paltry wealth of the middle class with the fortunes of the upper class, thus blinding the middle class to their own long-term best interests. Second, I hate to gamble.

However, if I did feel certain that I could make a significant amount of money within a short amount of time and then pull out...

Still, there must be better options out there. ...The age-old question: What is the best job for an INTP?

Tawaci ki a Gnaska ki Osito Polar's Avatar
    Type
    INTP
    What does your resume look like at this point? I'm not asking you to post it or anything, but could you give us a vague outline?

What are you interested in? If we know topics you're passionate about we'd have a better idea of things we could suggest.

Where do you live? In a big city?
    "I don't have psychological problems." --Madrigal

"When you write about shooting Polemarch in the head, that's more like a first-person view, like you're there looking down the sight of the gun." --Utisz

David Wong, regarding Chicago
    Six centuries ago, the pre-Colombian natives who settled here named this region with a word which in their language means "the Mouth of Shadow". Later, the Iroquois who showed up and inexplicably slaughtered every man, woman and child renamed it "Seriously, Fuck that Place". When French explorer Jacques Marquette passed through the area he marked his map with a drawing of a brownish blob emerging from between the Devil's buttocks.

Type
    INTj
    Java coding pays big bucks, stay away from the stock market -- it is controlled by a few HFT supercomputers.

Type
    INTP
    I sort of fell into secretarial work a few years ago, and once I had some experience, it was easier to get more experience... So, administration, lots of Microsoft software, some WordPress, some database, some publishing.

I actually wouldn't mind going back into administration eventually, particularly if it's for a small organization that I care about. I enjoy the problem solving and the variety, though constantly executing others' decisions rather than making your own can become extremely tiresome.

The problem right now is that I need to be home with the sprog rather than in an office answering phones all day.

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by prometheus View Post
    Java coding pays big bucks.
    Good to know. Any particular job sites you would recommend?

Tawaci ki a Gnaska ki Osito Polar's Avatar
    Type
    INTP
    In terms of pro-blogging, writing how-to articles about skills that you take for granted can actually pay off pretty well. If you could get away for long enough to do so you might even be able to teach classes at a community center. Microsoft Office classes might be a big seller in your area. I know where I live in suburban San Francisco that would attract paying students. Database 101 would sell well too.

Have you tried reading up on the topic of entrepreneurship for moms? That's a whole subject people write about out there on the Internet.
    "I don't have psychological problems." --Madrigal

"When you write about shooting Polemarch in the head, that's more like a first-person view, like you're there looking down the sight of the gun." --Utisz

David Wong, regarding Chicago
    Six centuries ago, the pre-Colombian natives who settled here named this region with a word which in their language means "the Mouth of Shadow". Later, the Iroquois who showed up and inexplicably slaughtered every man, woman and child renamed it "Seriously, Fuck that Place". When French explorer Jacques Marquette passed through the area he marked his map with a drawing of a brownish blob emerging from between the Devil's buttocks.

Type
    INTj
    Quote Originally Posted by TeresaJ View Post
    Good to know. Any particular job sites you would recommend?
    Basically anything freelance, you'll get paid more and there are less constraints.

Do you know how to code? If not, start learning java -- there are many great books out there which can get you up to speed in a few months. Learn java, then search for the job. You'll most likely be tasked correcting other's errors in code if you take a full/part time position.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/007...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Osito-
    +1 on the entrepreneurship angle, that's what I am... it is immensely stressful at times, but the paychecks are definitely worth it.

Type
    INTj
    Quote Originally Posted by TeresaJ View Post
    The problem right now is that I need to be home with the sprog rather than in an office answering phones all day.
    This isn't a curse, this is a luxury. If you start a business you will soon find this out.

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by prometheus View Post
    This isn't a curse, this is a luxury. If you start a business you will soon find this out.
    You're right. Problem isn't the right word. It's a constraint.

Thank you all for the advice!

Now we know... Asteroids Champion ACow's Avatar
    Type
    INTP
    Just stay the fark away from option 4.