Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 37

Thread: Powdered Booze

  1. #1
    Shiny and New Charde's Avatar
    Type
    INTP
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Beltway Baltimore
    Posts
    362

    Powdered Booze

    Well, this should expand my recreational life quite a bit...

    https://shine.yahoo.com/healthy-livi...163700249.html

    As if alcohol, marijuana, caffeine, and pills of various kinds aren't enough to give Americans a buzz, the federal government has approved a new product: powdered booze, reports Gawker. Even the company behind it, Palcohol, says the US Alcohol and Tobacco Tax and Trade Bureau's approval caught it off guard. The product is now expected to hit shelves in the fall....
    They've obviously also fixed some of their website text based on legal issues:

    Old: "We have found adding Palcohol to food is so much fun. ... Some of our favorites are the Kamikaze in guacamole, Rum on a BBQ sandwich, Cosmo on a salad and Vodka on eggs in the morning to start your day off right. Experiment."

    Current: "Can Palcohol be added to food? I suppose so. ... As Palcohol is a new product, we have yet to explore its potential of being added to food."
    Old: "Let's talk about the elephant in the room….snorting Palcohol. Yes, you can snort it. And you'll get drunk almost instantly ... Good idea? No. It will mess you up."

    Current: "Can I snort it? We have seen comments about goofballs wanting to snort it. Don't do it!"
    The article finishes with:
    The site now notes that the former "humorous and edgy verbiage about Palcohol" wasn't "meant to be our final presentation of Palcohol," and asserts that it was very clear even then that its product be used responsibly. Lehrman Beverage Law, which first reported the TTB's approval, is "absolutely astonished" that Palcohol was approved and says it "seems highly likely to raise a large number of legal issues and controversies."
    Understatement.

    You can add powdered booze to anything from baby formula and powdered juices to people's food and soups, etc., without people knowing aside from taste (if enough is added, proportionally).

    And what about the underaged? You no longer need to make a trip to the liquor store and buy booze directly. In fact, you could just swipe some powder from your old man, hide it in a gatorade mix tub, and add it to your water bottle after middle-school sports practice.

    And then of course the "snorting" stuff which of course they say not to.. but heck, two words: College students, in as "most apt to do anything" ranging from electric jello to sticking vodka in humidifiers.
    Kids are gonna snort it. Druggies will start mixing it with heroin. Etc.

    Other cultural and legal impacts?

  2. #2
    fhtagn Rhu's Avatar
    Type
    INTP
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    wershingten deesee
    Posts
    147
    You know, I always kinda liked the hot apple cider k-cups. Hard cider k-cups would be the perfect way to spend a cool autumn day goofing off in the office.

  3. #3
    Senior Member Senseye's Avatar
    Type
    INTP
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    1,651
    It would certainly make smuggling alcohol into alcohol verboten places easier. Handy for hiking/camping trips where booze weighs you down (assuming there is a potable water source at your destination).

    *sigh* I could have really used this invention 20 years ago.

  4. #4
    igKnight Hephaestus's Avatar
    Type
    INTP
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Ceti Alpha V
    Posts
    9,142
    Quote Originally Posted by Charde View Post
    And what about the underaged? You no longer need to make a trip to the liquor store and buy booze directly. In fact, you could just swipe some powder from your old man, hide it in a gatorade mix tub, and add it to your water bottle after middle-school sports practice.
    How is this substantially different then my father spent lunch breaks in high school sharing bourbon from a Maalox bottle with his friends? I mean, the swiping and negotiating of acquisition of booze isn't different. The main thing that's different is that they can now conceal a wider assortment of booze than vodka for public consumption.

  5. #5
    Shiny and New Charde's Avatar
    Type
    INTP
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Beltway Baltimore
    Posts
    362
    Quote Originally Posted by Hephaestus View Post
    ...The main thing that's different is that they can now conceal a wider assortment of booze than vodka for public consumption.
    I think that was my point. Especially the fact you don't have to smuggle a FLUID can make a world of difference. You could even carry this stuff on an airplane, I guess, rather than being tossed in the trash due to the "fluids" rule.

  6. #6
    Senior Member skip's Avatar
    Type
    INTP
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Tatooine
    Posts
    1,324
    Quote Originally Posted by Senseye View Post
    Handy for hiking/camping trips where booze weighs you down (assuming there is a potable water source at your destination).
    Hiking was my first thought, too. This is going to make some ultralighters very happy. FWIW, I hiked part if the A.T. with an actively-drinking alcoholic. He carried a 12-pack of beer out of every town. I honestly don't know how he did it, either carrying that much weight or hiking that much with so much alcohol constantly in his system. I think powdered booze is going to make it easier to be an alcoholic, hiking or not.
    Yes, I smell like a horse. No, I don't consider that a problem.

  7. #7
    Shiny and New Charde's Avatar
    Type
    INTP
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Beltway Baltimore
    Posts
    362
    That's amazing.

    You'd think it would be a great excuse to go sober, versus having to carry the extra weight.

  8. #8
    Amen P-O's Avatar
    Type
    INTP
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    667
    Gives new meaning to the term powder keg.

    Can it be used as gunpowder?
    Violence is never the right answer, unless used against heathens and monsters.

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by skip View Post
    Hiking was my first thought, too. This is going to make some ultralighters very happy. FWIW, I hiked part if the A.T. with an actively-drinking alcoholic. He carried a 12-pack of beer out of every town. I honestly don't know how he did it, either carrying that much weight or hiking that much with so much alcohol constantly in his system. I think powdered booze is going to make it easier to be an alcoholic, hiking or not.
    Psh, if he was a real alcoholic he would have just bought a fifth of bottom shelf booze, or fortified wine if he couldn't get to a liquor store.

  10. #10
    Senior Member skip's Avatar
    Type
    INTP
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Tatooine
    Posts
    1,324
    Quote Originally Posted by pathogenetic_peripatetic View Post
    Psh, if he was a real alcoholic he would have just bought a fifth of bottom shelf booze, or fortified wine if he couldn't get to a liquor store.
    Maybe he did. All I saw was the beer... and a whole lotta Top Ramen.
    Yes, I smell like a horse. No, I don't consider that a problem.

Similar Threads

  1. Booze
    By stuck in forum The Pub
    Replies: 47
    Last Post: 01-03-2014, 02:15 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •