View Poll Results: 'F' skills? or 'F' decision-making?

Voters
21. You may not vote on this poll
  • 'F's are generally more skilled with feelings

2 9.52%
  • Its not skills, 'F's just make decisions differently

9 42.86%
  • Its really both of those things combined

3 14.29%
  • Its both, but depends whether Fi or Fe

2 9.52%
  • There is more to it than that, I might discuss it.

5 23.81%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 'F' types more skilled with feelings? or just different decision criteria to 'T's?

Type
    InTp

'F' types more skilled with feelings? or just different decision criteria to 'T's?

Do you think F types have developed certain skills with dealing with feelings which T types have not?

eg. Would you think an 'F' can perceive people's feelings more so(and more accurately) in general than a 'T' would be able to?
    Or do you think it is simply that an 'F' type chooses to pay attention to peoples feelings when making a decision, where a 'T' may not pay attention to how someone feels(as much) with regards to a decision, even though they could perceive it just as well if they wanted to.

I'd say its probably different from type to type, and strength of the F and whether its Fi or Fe.

I believe if I wanted to, I could guess how someone feels about a decision, and might even take it into account if I liked them, however I suspect a good 'F' type is actually more skilled at things to do with people and feelings, than I, or other 'T' types might be. Although I don't know to what extent it is skills or just a decision basis

maybe some resident 'F's can chime in and comment / give some examples also.

(I don't mind if this turns into a what-are-Fs-good-at thread)
    Ti, Ne, Si, Fe .... Te, Ni, Se, Fi

Type
    INfj
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agreeableness

My take is that MBTI's T/F dichotomy is indirectly measuring this^ trait. Above average, F. Below average, T. Most people not significantly above or below average, but MBTI splits it down the middle for no good reason. :P

Upsides in a nutshell: Better at resolving social dissonance
    Downsides in a nutshell: More likely to 'compromise' on matters of objective fact
    Last edited by Resonance; 04-22-2014 at 12:16 PM.
    Empty your mind. Be formless. Shapeless. Like water. Water can flow, or it can crash. Be water, my friend.

Type
    INTP
    T and F have to do with the criteria you prefer to use when making decisions.
    Yes, I smell like a horse. No, I don't consider that a problem.

Type
    ENTP
    Quote Originally Posted by skip View Post
    T and F have to do with the criteria you prefer to use when making decisions.
    Prefer implies a choice - my experience has been that it's more of a pronounced tendency. Feelers have a greater tendency to act in response to an emotion, where thinkers have a greater tendency to act in response to a thought. Everyone has thoughts and emotions, but we're both wired and conditioned to interpret that information uniquely.

I would say that F's are more attuned to the emotions of others, and as a result, more reactive to them. I wouldn't refer to that as a skill so much as an awareness.
    We didn't land on Plymouth Rock. Plymouth Rock landed on us.

Type
    INTP
    I'm not at home so I don't have access to my own data but I'm pretty certain that MBTI results are termed "preferences." How could they not be choices?

Type
    ENTP
    Quote Originally Posted by skip View Post
    I'm not at home so I don't have access to my own data but I'm pretty certain that MBTI results are termed "preferences." How could they not be choices?
    Yes, they are termed "preferences" - I just don't agree with the term, because choices implies conscious awareness of the options. My observation has been that most people don't carefully consider whether they should give greater weight to their feelings or their thoughts; they simply do one or the other. Also, if they did, the act of doing so would probably indicate a tendency towards thinking anyway.
    We didn't land on Plymouth Rock. Plymouth Rock landed on us.

Type
    INTP
    Maybe it's a preference because the "wiring" of a particular person's brain makes it easier/more pleasant/more efficient for a person to be a T or an F. So, even though a T can feel and an F can think, one way may be more comfortable and effective than the other.

Type
    INTP
    Sometimes I wish they'd chosen different terms, those two are misused and misinterpreted more than any of the other preferences.

Banned
    Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Thevenin View Post
    Maybe it's a preference because the "wiring" of a particular person's brain makes it easier/more pleasant/more efficient for a person to be a T or an F. So, even though a T can feel and an F can think, one way may be more comfortable and effective than the other.
    yes....

My take is that MBTI's T/F dichotomy is indirectly measuring this^ trait. Above average, F. Below average, T. Most people not significantly above or below average, but MBTI splits it down the middle for no good reason. :P
    IIRC, the correlation with Agreeableness is the weakest out of all of them. J and Conscientiousness is also a bit fuzzy. I/E and NS have strong correlations to extraversion and openness, respectively.
    Last edited by msg_v2; 04-22-2014 at 04:33 PM.

Type
    INFP
    Quote Originally Posted by Polemarch View Post
    Prefer implies a choice - my experience has been that it's more of a pronounced tendency. Feelers have a greater tendency to act in response to an emotion, where thinkers have a greater tendency to act in response to a thought. Everyone has thoughts and emotions, but we're both wired and conditioned to interpret that information uniquely.

I would say that F's are more attuned to the emotions of others, and as a result, more reactive to them. I wouldn't refer to that as a skill so much as an awareness.
    As an "F" I approve of this concise observation.