Thread: Credibility and relativity

Type
    INTP

Worldview, rationality and credibility

If we have a worldview and then we read a non fiction book that makes sense, does it make sense because of our worldview?
    Is the author then credible because of our worldview?
    So credibility is a dynamic concept?
    If i suggest an author of a non fiction book to my son because i consider him credible and my son asks me why is he credible, what do i answer?
    Last edited by username; 04-24-2014 at 08:45 AM.

Type
    iNtP
    Quote Originally Posted by username View Post
    If we have a worldview and then we read a non fiction book that makes sense, does it make sense because of our worldview?
    Is the author then credible because of our worldview?
    Things can make sense without necessarily having credit. in this example, the author would be providing credit for your world view, not the other way around.

So credibility is a dynamic concept?
    The perceiver always decides on credibility

If i suggest an author of a non fiction book to my son because i consider him credible and my son asks me why is he credible, what do i answer?
    that it is better for him to make up his own mind
    Just look at the blue sky

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    You're more likely to see claims about facts as credible if the person presenting them tends to agree with your worldview. You're more likely to be skeptical of claims about facts from a source with a known worldview oppositional to your own. That much is true, and it's probably how people end up living in ideological echo chambers and develop difficulties with altering their worldview in the face of contradictory information. Some people more than others, of course.

Does that mean credibility derives from your worldview? Kind of. Other factors do play into it, or there are good reasons to hope they do in one's own case.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ptah View Post
    No history, no exposition, no anecdote or argument changes the invariant: we are all human beings, and some humans are idiots.