Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: I'm done with linux for a while.

Type
    INTP

I'm done with linux for a while.

I was really happy a few years ago when Ubuntu's out of box functionality became very respectable, but the piss poor support for multimedia and the seeming lack of interest in keeping the software for it running right is just too bad right now. Also, a recent update totally broke xfce for me. An update hasn't broken my system in years and now this?

I installed windows 7 so I can work in a DAW again and holy crap. Youtube looks fantastic and runs amazing. I used to think my old core2 quad box was on it's last days in ubuntu. Apparently the software is just written that bad, because I'm SCREAMING again thanks to Bill.

Type
    INfj
    Just wait a few months. You'll find that Windows also beats Ubuntu in performance degradation over time.
    Empty your mind. Be formless. Shapeless. Like water. Water can flow, or it can crash. Be water, my friend.

I think windows is better for media consumption but linux is better for being productive. I hate Ubuntu though, I'm running crunchbang on my laptop and it makes me happy.

Type
    INtP
    INTPx Award Winner
    I have a friend who is linux purist and really tries to push me onto linux. He nearly blew a gasket when I told him last year I was still on XP.

The things I do I can't do on anything but Windows(or if I could it would be a fight all the way) and my box has 4 monitors.
    This just in: I'm accepting all friend requests too unless you're a fricken jerk and I can't stand your existence and inane drivel. If that's the case, then I'll accept your friend request so I can keep an eye on your ass unless you don't hold any interest for me; then only the threat of keeping my eye on you stands. feces

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by latch View Post
    I have a friend who is linux purist and really tries to push me onto linux. He nearly blew a gasket when I told him last year I was still on XP.

The things I do I can't do on anything but Windows(or if I could it would be a fight all the way) and my box has 4 monitors.
    That's the thing. You can't expect to run cool hardware or any multimedia editing or rendering software or cutting edge games. There's not even hardware acceleration for flash on it. Might as well run integrated gpu.

Production and hardware issues aside, its unusable for common folk like me even, because while the operating system actually pretty efficient and fast, the fact that every single browser runs modern web pages like dog shit tricks you in to thinking the whole package is a sloppy mess.

Now we know... Asteroids Champion ACow's Avatar
    Type
    INTP
    Yeah, i've gone back and forth. I went windows -> linux -> windows -> linux -> windows -> linux.

Lets just say the last time i tried to reinstall windows 7 from my cd and had to be on the phone to microsoft technical support trying to get my access code to software i'd already bought which didn't work, and polititely had them tell me to go fuck myself and buy another copy still has me pretty much raging.

Crashbang and linux mint boot far faster/more performant for me, and even back in the ubuntu days i used one of the low-resource ones...

Media support is irritating, but i'm still seething about the whole monopoly/multiple-products/conditions thing too much to give a fuck, but i'm getting just as many crashes/bugs on windows with my sound these days...which really means i have to choose between a paid-for/restrictive OS with bugs, and a free one with bugs...

Photoshop is the one killer ap for windows I miss, and fuck my games, i waste too much time on them anyway (and steam is slowly coming across to linux).

Edit: I do have the dual-boot thing going on, so i switch over to windows to play movies for the wife, but i find over the last year or so i've wanted to be in linux every time i'm in windows.

Edit edit: that being said, i think the leaning curve for linux can be measured in years, and i'm still a newb.

Type
    INTP
    Yeah, Linux is a great philosophical statement (Free Software!), and if you have lots of time, and don't mind a mostly crappy experience. I've been in it since 0.46, both privately and worked in it professionally for years. Jumped to OS X, which isn't perfect but is a commercial UNIX so gives me both worlds (POSIX and a modern, supported and updated system).

I work professionally in Windows these days. Windows is actually more stable than OS X, but it's a much crappier system. Microsoft can't figure out a UI to save themselves. Not that Apple has it perfect, but they're better.

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by ACow View Post
    (and steam is slowly coming across to linux).

Edit edit: that being said, i think the leaning curve for linux can be measured in years, and i'm still a newb.
    For right now its the same old thing for steam's useability. My awe that Half life 2 installed and I was about to play one of my favorite games of all time on freakin linux ended abruptly when the sound didn't work and I couldn't get it to.

Audio is a fucking disaster. There is jack and pulse audio and a bunch of crap interconnecting and in layers that probably 10 people in the world understand. You have to sit down and decide I'm going to become a hacker, learn to program, read documentation for hours and hours, experiment, get flamed on boards, read some more...for years ALL SO YOU CAN RECORD AND MIX SOMETHING IN YOUR BEDROOM.

I don't see it getting any better at this point. Hardware companies have nothing to gain by paying people to write code for linux. The fact that software with actual USER INTERFACES exist like skype and steam is a testament to the dedication some companies have, but in the end its programmers writing code for themselves and there is no philosophical structure in place in open source to emphasize the user experience. Free is enough to the 1% of the people who who develop the software...for the 1% of computer users actually running linux.

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by pathogenetic_peripatetic View Post
    I think windows is better for media consumption but linux is better for being productive. I hate Ubuntu though, I'm running crunchbang on my laptop and it makes me happy.
    What software are you using in Linux for media creation?

Quote Originally Posted by latch View Post

XP Pro is a great OS. I clung to it for a long time. I still have a couple copies "Just In Case". But I presently prefer Windows 7 Pro. It's bennies outweigh the occasional difficulty finding something under the hood that was easy to find in XP Pro.

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Hephaestus View Post
    What software are you using in Linux for media creation?

XP Pro is a great OS. I clung to it for a long time. I still have a couple copies "Just In Case". But I presently prefer Windows 7 Pro. It's bennies outweigh the occasional difficulty finding something under the hood that was easy to find in XP Pro.
    If I had a working license I'd be on XP right now. Windows XP: The operating system that wouldnt die.