Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: If you had to choose a (or a different) religion to believe in, what would it be?

Type
    INFP

If you had to choose a (or a different) religion to believe in, what would it be?

Pretend that you can force yourself to believe in/follow a religion. or a different religion if you already have one.

(Personally, I have no idea-- I'm still thinking about it. I just want to hear what you (all) think you would pick.)
    "Better not to feel too much until the crisis ends—and if it never ends, at least we’ll have suffered a little less, developed a useful dullness...The constant—and very real—fear of being hurt, the fear of death, of intolerable loss, or even of “mere” humiliation, leads each of us, the citizens and prisoners of the conflict, to dampen our own vitality, our emotional and intellectual range, and to cloak ourselves in more and more protective layers until we suffocate." - Toni Morrison

Type
    INTP
    I was impressed by Buddhism when I read about it, but then one form of Buddhist practice is not really a religion.
    "Allow me to introduce myself. My name is reality. Your cries do not move me." -- Sistamatic

Type
    xNxx
    Some animist pagan heathenry or other.

Let's say the climate pessimists are correct, Keystone XL gets built and blackens the sky. Who would you trust to adjust you to a new reality of backwoods life, the dude with the guns in his starvation cell stockpiling canned food, or the wiccan lady freebleeding from underneath her cat pelt? Tough question I know.

a fool on a journey pensive_pilgrim's Avatar
    Type
    INTP
    If I could just be some kind of fundamentalist christian I wouldn't have to worry about finding friends or having social skills anymore.

.: PERSISTENCE IS ALL :. Pan_Sonic_000's Avatar
    Type
    ENxx
    Taoism, maybe.

I dunno. Sometimes I think about how goddamn big the universe is and how I can actually feel the limits of my comprehension being stretched. It half terrifies me but it's awe inspiring in a way that goes beyond everyday interest. Sometimes it feels mystical and I'd like to retain that no matter what, but a lot of ancient religions don't accommodate for that. Most of that inherent awe in humans gets anthropomorphized or redirected towards a set of creeds.
    Wild skies
    Full moon and thoughts collide
    We look for answers in those catatonic, bloodshot eyes
    A steady stream of madness
    Rises to a flood...

...The clock is ticking for Bad Blood

Tawaci ki a Gnaska ki Osito Polar's Avatar
    Type
    INTP
    I'd love to believe in and practice vodoun or maybe Santeria. One of those awesome spiritist religions. I was around their adherents a lot when I was a kid and it always impressed me as looking like a lot of fun. Being a bokor would be such a cool job, too.
    "I don't have psychological problems." --Madrigal

"When you write about shooting Polemarch in the head, that's more like a first-person view, like you're there looking down the sight of the gun." --Utisz

David Wong, regarding Chicago
    Six centuries ago, the pre-Colombian natives who settled here named this region with a word which in their language means "the Mouth of Shadow". Later, the Iroquois who showed up and inexplicably slaughtered every man, woman and child renamed it "Seriously, Fuck that Place". When French explorer Jacques Marquette passed through the area he marked his map with a drawing of a brownish blob emerging from between the Devil's buttocks.

Banned
    Type
    INTP
    I'd like to know more about Greek/Roman mystery religions, but from what I can find about them, not much is known, because they were, well, mysteries. I find Hephaestus, Athena, Hermes, and Dionysus interesting figures. Other cultures probably have equivalents... a smith god seems common enough in Iron Age cultures, but it seems to me that the greco-roman is probably the most documented.

I know there was nothing egalitarian about that society, but I always had an interest in the mythology, and I grew up in a city with a lot of impressive neoclassical architecture, so that probably has something to do with it.
    Last edited by msg_v2; 04-25-2014 at 05:55 PM.

Type
    xxxx
    i wouldn't. the shame, guilt, fear and traditions would just be a weight. for now it's quite easy to be around religious people cuz i don't have to worry about aligning "faith" with anyone and can get away with observing the customs with detachment.

Type
    IXXP
    If I had to choose one might as well go all out for something like what is described in PKD's Valis(Vast Active Living Intelligence System) trilogy.

LSD informed Scientology collides with technology drenched Gnosticism.

Hard to follow but, if you like your brains scrambled like your eggs, very trippy indeed.

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by pathogenetic_peripatetic View Post
    If I could just be some kind of fundamentalist christian I wouldn't have to worry about finding friends or having social skills anymore.
    Same here. I'd probably go with Mormon, because they're all in shape and rich. I'll just have to wait until I'm too old to conceive to convert.