Thread: right...the fetish.

Type
    iNTP

right...the fetish.

what is a fetish ?
    Fuck Magic

Type
    xNxx
    Dressing otherwise naked women up in collars and fox masks?

Type
    INTP
    What do you care to know beyond sir Webster's definition?

Persona Oblongata OrionzRevenge's Avatar
    Type
    INtP
    I'm going to guess we are talking sexual and not Hope, Faith, & Charity charms on a bracelet.

I think a lot of it has to do with our anal, puritanical attitudes about sex and attempts at shielding our children from knowledge that is an innate part of our beings. Then mixing that up with all the notions of guilt and taboo.

Couple this with our natural tendency (and survival need) to associate new and novel experiences with the Environmental or 'Atmospheric' surrounds...

If we were as free-wheeling as the Bonobo Chimps, then I doubt we would have many sexual fetishes. Nor do I think pedophilia would damage our youths because the 'victims', 'perpetrators', and society wouldn't view it as a violation.

Before I stir-up Pedo anger, let me say that this is a clinical observation. In our society pedophilia dose a great deal of harm and perps are drawn to it because it is the violation of others.

The oft seen Violated turns Violator would tend to reinforce my overall argument about fetish origins.
    Last edited by OrionzRevenge; 10-24-2014 at 07:25 PM.
    Creativity is the residue of time wasted. ~ Albert Einstein

Type
    INTP
    Fetish is when the sexy related wires in the brain get correlated with non-sexy related items. You can come up with all sorts of reasons as to why this kind of thing happens... but i think it's a symptom of many diseases, so to speak, so it's a bad predictor on its own.

It's like pavlov's dog. Hear a bell, think of steak. Hear a bell, think of sex. It's just an association in my not so professional opinion.
    Violence is never the right answer, unless used against heathens and monsters.

Type
    iNTP
    "I'm going to guess we are talking sexual and not Hope, Faith, & Charity charms on a bracelet." - so that's what we need to find out. Is there a difference and what defines it. Otherwise, what the Observer said. Something correlates.
    Yeah, "collars" "fox masks" - more interesting to look for the deeper symbolic in this one, the sexual might just be distraction, hey
    :')
    "beyond" - just curious
    Fuck Magic

Type
    INTP
    A fetish is something that you fixate on in lieu of what you're genuinely concerned with. In your imagination, you give it the place that something else actually occupies. It's a substitution, a mediation, or more like a displacement.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hephaestus View Post
    Heh. We've been here years now.

Banned
    Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Madrigal View Post
    A fetish is something that you fixate on in lieu of what you're genuinely concerned with. In your imagination, you give it the place that something else actually occupies. It's a substitution, a mediation, or more like a displacement.
    So that's the contact point between sexual fetishes and other kinds of fetishes?

The whole idea of a sexual fetish seems Freudian to the max, so it's interesting that this is an idea that still has such staying power even though Freud has kind of fallen out of favor in psychology.

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Slab_Bulkhead View Post
    So that's the contact point between sexual fetishes and other kinds of fetishes?

The whole idea of a sexual fetish seems Freudian to the max, so it's interesting that this is an idea that still has such staying power even though Freud has kind of fallen out of favor in psychology.
    I found this on Wikipedia:

Marx said that fetishism is "the religion of sensuous appetites", and that the fantasy of the appetites tricks the fetish worshipper into believing that an inanimate object will yield its natural character to gratify the desires of the worshipper. Therefore, the crude appetite of the fetish worshipper smashes the fetish when it ceases to be of service.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hephaestus View Post
    Heh. We've been here years now.

Banned
    Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Madrigal View Post
    I found this on Wikipedia:
    Oh, that doesn't apply to American culture.

I gotta go buy some Nike's and head over to McDonald's.