IMG00442-20131225-0131.jpg

Type
    INTP

Type
    INXX
    ^And how is it? Did you dl the dev kit?

Quote Originally Posted by Deckard View Post
    Pure Awesome
    This is something I've been sorely tempted to get, but I'm holding out for a retail version. I'd love to know what you think of it when you try it out.

Type
    Intp
    Okay, time's up. You guys tell me what it is right now. It looks spooky, and latch is already going to download the dv kit. Are you guys up to something or what?
    Last edited by Hermione; 12-25-2013 at 07:58 AM.

wetback Space Invaders Champion Fitz's Avatar
    Type
    INFJ
    It's a virtual reality headset.

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    It's a VR headset that aims at commercial release. Inexpensive as VR headsets go, with solid fast headtracking.

Not recommended for use with beer.
    Most of time, when people ask why something terrible happened, they don't realize they are looking for someone to blame.

--Meditations on Uncertainty Vol ξ(x)

Type
    INXX
    Quote Originally Posted by Hermione View Post
    Okay, time's up. You guys tell me what it is right now. It looks spooky, and latch is already going to download the dv kit. Are you guys up to something or what?
    Aye, but sadly I don't have an extra $400 to blow on that now unless this turns out good.

In the interim, I will have to settle for my Ouya.

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by stigmatica View Post
    This is something I've been sorely tempted to get, but I'm holding out for a retail version. I'd love to know what you think of it when you try it out.
    It's pretty awesome, and there's so much potential in it. I always knew VR headsets would revolutionise life / gaming, and we're actually getting there. There are some really interesting games and apps being developed for it. The virtual cinema is really fucking cool. Personally I'm waiting for a fully immersive adventure game that focuses on creating ambience in its environments, as opposed to killing things or putting you on rails through the story.

As for waiting for the retail version: as someone who's super picky about display quality, the dev kit is not great. Very pixellated due to the low resolution. It's 640x800 resolution per eye, and those pixels take up your entire field of vision, so the effect is a very blocky window into those virtual realities. People call it the "screen door effect". The head tracking also lacks tracking of some degrees of freedom, which leaves you with VR motion sickness after not too long. I'm hearing that the newer devkits go a long way to addressing both of these things. So unless you're planning to develop for the rift, you're probably better off waiting.

Type
    Intp

nm. I got this. I missed Neville's post up there. Thanks Neville. I thought it looked like something I had seen before, but not sure from the photo.
    Last edited by Hermione; 12-25-2013 at 08:48 AM.