Page 31 of 31 FirstFirst ... 21293031

Thread: Your most recent non-essential or fanciful purchase

Type
    xxxx
    Quote Originally Posted by MuseedesBeauxArts View Post
    Headed back to the Southern hemisphere next week, where there will definitely be sun. I'm super white, so I just got a bunch of Japanese and Korean sunscreens (they're the best--little sunscreen odor, absorb really well, don't leave a white cast): Biore UV, Missha, COSRx Aloe.
    This one is the holy grail of all facial sunscreens :

light, pretty much dissolves into skin, can wear under makeup.
    I fucking hate the cold! - Wim Hof

Quote Originally Posted by kari View Post
    This one is the holy grail of all facial sunscreens
    Excellent! Will hunt this one next. I've also heard good things about the Shiseido Senka one.

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Lilith View Post
    I want to make my own bread
    My dad makes bread (including sourdough) as a hobby/means to avoid eating chemical bread. He's been trying to get a perfect setup for years. After at least a decade of searching, I think he finally found breadpans that made loaves the size he wants.

But based on his equipment--do you have a proofer? If not, you might want to look into it, unless you run your home very, very warm. Under 70 degrees apparently produces weak yeast response.

Another trick is to prewarm your mixing bowl. I think my dad recently ordered a heated bowl. I know he was following a project for a Kitchen-Aid mixing bowl that was double-walled and had a heater and pump to circulate warm water in the space between the walls to keep the bowl at a good temp for yeast to thrive.
    For some, "how", not "why", is the fundamental unit of measure for curiosity. This divergence is neither parallel, nor straight. Where one might have a "why?-5" problem, it might only be a "how?-2" question. But then, there are also many things where the "why?" is immediately obvious but the "how?" is best measured in centuries of perpetual wonder. Both approaches have their drawbacks.

If one is superior, the other is unaware of it.

--Meditations on Uncertainty Vol ξ(x)

Type
    INXj
    Quote Originally Posted by Hephaestus View Post
    My dad makes bread (including sourdough) as a hobby/means to avoid eating chemical bread. He's been trying to get a perfect setup for years. After at least a decade of searching, I think he finally found breadpans that made loaves the size he wants.

But based on his equipment--do you have a proofer? If not, you might want to look into it, unless you run your home very, very warm. Under 70 degrees apparently produces weak yeast response.

Another trick is to prewarm your mixing bowl. I think my dad recently ordered a heated bowl. I know he was following a project for a Kitchen-Aid mixing bowl that was double-walled and had a heater and pump to circulate warm water in the space between the walls to keep the bowl at a good temp for yeast to thrive.
    No, I don’t have a proofer (I had to google what it was ) but I keep the house very warm. By far, I’ve only made white bread and some bread bowls. What I’ve found is that letting the dough rise in a preheated (warm) oven with a cup of hot water seems to help the process. As for the yeast, yeah I warm the mixing bowl with a running hot water. More often I use dry active yeast and stir a tbsp of sugar into the yeast. Achieves the right amount of bubbliness that I’m looking for. I’m looking at the making sourdough one of these days, I just don’t have the ‘right’ recipe yet. Thanks for the tip.
    Siriusly Black.

Type
    intp
    Just get a bread maker and take the dough out when it's ready and do whatever you want with it. They're like $40

Unless you like feeling kneady...