Page 31 of 37 FirstFirst ... 212930313233 ... LastLast

Thread: Your most recent non-essential or fanciful purchase

Type
    xxxx
    INTPx Award Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by MuseedesBeauxArts View Post
    Headed back to the Southern hemisphere next week, where there will definitely be sun. I'm super white, so I just got a bunch of Japanese and Korean sunscreens (they're the best--little sunscreen odor, absorb really well, don't leave a white cast): Biore UV, Missha, COSRx Aloe.
    This one is the holy grail of all facial sunscreens :

light, pretty much dissolves into skin, can wear under makeup.
    I fucking hate the cold! - Wim Hof

Check out my art. https://www.instagram.com/karililt/

Quote Originally Posted by kari View Post
    This one is the holy grail of all facial sunscreens
    Excellent! Will hunt this one next. I've also heard good things about the Shiseido Senka one.

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by Lilith View Post
    I want to make my own bread
    My dad makes bread (including sourdough) as a hobby/means to avoid eating chemical bread. He's been trying to get a perfect setup for years. After at least a decade of searching, I think he finally found breadpans that made loaves the size he wants.

But based on his equipment--do you have a proofer? If not, you might want to look into it, unless you run your home very, very warm. Under 70 degrees apparently produces weak yeast response.

Another trick is to prewarm your mixing bowl. I think my dad recently ordered a heated bowl. I know he was following a project for a Kitchen-Aid mixing bowl that was double-walled and had a heater and pump to circulate warm water in the space between the walls to keep the bowl at a good temp for yeast to thrive.
    You winsome, you loathsome.
    --Meditations on Uncertainty Vol ξ(x)

Type
    INXj
    Quote Originally Posted by Hephaestus View Post
    My dad makes bread (including sourdough) as a hobby/means to avoid eating chemical bread. He's been trying to get a perfect setup for years. After at least a decade of searching, I think he finally found breadpans that made loaves the size he wants.

But based on his equipment--do you have a proofer? If not, you might want to look into it, unless you run your home very, very warm. Under 70 degrees apparently produces weak yeast response.

Another trick is to prewarm your mixing bowl. I think my dad recently ordered a heated bowl. I know he was following a project for a Kitchen-Aid mixing bowl that was double-walled and had a heater and pump to circulate warm water in the space between the walls to keep the bowl at a good temp for yeast to thrive.
    No, I don’t have a proofer (I had to google what it was ) but I keep the house very warm. By far, I’ve only made white bread and some bread bowls. What I’ve found is that letting the dough rise in a preheated (warm) oven with a cup of hot water seems to help the process. As for the yeast, yeah I warm the mixing bowl with a running hot water. More often I use dry active yeast and stir a tbsp of sugar into the yeast. Achieves the right amount of bubbliness that I’m looking for. I’m looking at the making sourdough one of these days, I just don’t have the ‘right’ recipe yet. Thanks for the tip.
    We cling to our past as if they define us. What we do defines us.

Type
    intp
    Just get a bread maker and take the dough out when it's ready and do whatever you want with it. They're like $40

Unless you like feeling kneady...

Type
    INXj
    Quote Originally Posted by jyng1 View Post
    Just get a bread maker and take the dough out when it's ready and do whatever you want with it. They're like $40

Unless you like feeling kneady...
    I like kneading sometimes esp when I’ve been mulling inside my head too much. Kitchenaid lessens the effort...puts me in a sweet spot between entertainment and therapy. I think I like to get my hands dirty sometimes.

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    The bread hook works fine for me.
    You winsome, you loathsome.
    --Meditations on Uncertainty Vol ξ(x)

keep your kokoro away PureViolence's Avatar
    Type
    ISFP
    Assassins creed origins.
    Fucking epic game. I wasn't expecting such a great game from ubisoft. They killed it. Can't really tell if I enjoyed more the Witcher 3 or this one.

Didn't bought but I pirated a few books, beyond good and evil and crime and punishment. Also Ken Wilber brief story of everything.

Tomorrow I might buy special audiphones for recording music. Not sure yet. Kind of skeptic about fixing imperfections in audio {within a certain domain}

keep your kokoro away PureViolence's Avatar
    Type
    ISFP
    i bought a lot of shit today because i want to start practicing real painting, today i did a quick drawing and i believe it took me around 5 minutes to get a fine sketch for then painting over it but felt so lazy about doing it in photoshop because it takes just too much time to get a more or less decent result, not just obvious fake shapes from brushes.
    it supposedly arrives tomorrow:

- sketchbook - cool one, mainstream one
    - pencil set - 12 types (i was wondering if ordering also a marker set to add more details and depth but i thought it was way too much)
    - acrylic set - cheap yet good rating
    - brushes set - same as above

i wanted to expand on assasins creed: origins btw. i believe it has to be the GOTY, like for sure, no competition here whatsoever.
    it's so addictive to find an objective in the map, go for it and then go to other, just because it's 2 minutes away by walk, and they are all over the map, hundred of missions, and maybe after 35 hours of playing you'll find some a bit repetitive, like attacking the settlements but you do it maybe for other reasons, leveling up to pass higher level missions or just travel and see land.
    all the cultural elements, symbols, tales, landscapes, it's all brutal and beautiful. you can see the greek influence and hear its language accent as egypt was back then part of the hellenic domain.
    the sides which are more greek make me nostalgic for reminding me my times living in Athens. research was done the right way.
    the question must be risen: is AC Origins better than The Witcher 3?, it's a hard choice. I would say AC Origins might have more variety of locations / missions and landscapes. and maybe The Witcher 3 has more variety of monsters / enemies. Perhaps The Witcher 3 has more flexibility in the sense that your choices will have consequences for you, in ACO this doesn't happen. But to me that's an extra, that i actually prefer to overlook.
    Last edited by PureViolence; 01-25-2018 at 03:04 AM.

Type
    INXj
    Quote Originally Posted by Hephaestus View Post
    The bread hook works fine for me.
    It works for me too. I just like taking the extra mile when it’s not necessary.

I should visit you sometimes and we could do a bake-athon! xD