Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213

Thread: Global Warming and Politics ~~News & Views~~

Persona Oblongata OrionzRevenge's Avatar
    Type
    INtP
    Final Kyoto analysis shows 100% compliance

https://www.sciencedaily.com/release...0610095034.htm

All 36 countries that committed to the Kyoto Protocol on climate change complied with their emission targets, according to a scientific study released today. In addition, the Kyoto process and climate-related policies, represented a low cost for the countries involved -- up to 0.1% of GDP for the European Union and an even lower fraction of Japan's GDP. This is around one quarter to one tenth of what experts had estimated after the agreement was reached in 1997, for delivering the targets set 15 years ahead. The US never ratified the Treaty and Canada withdrew, but all the rest continued and Kyoto came into force in 2005.
    Congratulations Planet!

Boo Hiss Red, Orange, and Yellow countries.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...Kyoto_Protocol
    Creativity is the residue of time wasted. ~ Albert Einstein

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by OrionzRevenge View Post
    Final Kyoto analysis shows 100% compliance

https://www.sciencedaily.com/release...0610095034.htm

Congratulations Planet!

Boo Hiss Red, Orange, and Yellow countries.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...Kyoto_Protocol
    I think it is "yay" for the green countries and boo for everybody else. All those blue countries had no targets. Kyoto is typical of a UN initiative. A failure advertised as a success.

I believe worldwide emissions are up about 50% from 1990 (Kyoto's base year). Mainly due to emissions growth in China and other developing nations who got a free pass on Kyoto.

Type
    INtP
    Quote Originally Posted by Senseye View Post
    ...I believe worldwide emissions are up about 50% from 1990 (Kyoto's base year). Mainly due to emissions growth in China and other developing nations who got a free pass on Kyoto.
    I can't argue with that. I still think it bodes well for the Paris Agreement and the long run. A journey of a thousand miles kinda stuff.

Type
    INTP

So 129 degrees F in Kuwait this summer, a new Asian record.

Type
    INtP
    Hillary Rickety Crock is running an ad talking about how she will snatch the Green Superpower imitative from Russia and Germany by installing half a million Solar Panels during her first term. Feel good about going Green with Hillary???
    Let's put it in perspective:

Let's assume you get a good deal on standard 310w panels @ $200

That will run us about $100 million. Which is about 1/3rd. the cost of a F-22 Raptor.

Assuming a guy can install 20 panels a day and that there are 1000 work days during Hillary's first term*
    Then that's enough work to keep 25 guys busy for 4 years.

We're talking about Wal-Mart Hillary here, so there really isn't any doubt that we will get the panels from China.

If all 500,000 panels happened to be in full sun at the same moment then they would max out at about 150 MegaWatts. A garden variety Coal-Fired Power Station will max out at about 3000 MegaWatts.

No company is more Iconic of the Liberal Elitist than Apple Computer. While Apple CEO Tim Cook is holding fundraisers for Hillary they have a Looooooooong History of evading their taxation responsibility.
    Don't get me wrong, Apple is but one of many doing the exact same thing while backing the Democrats.

Indeed, the recent revelation about the 13 Billion in Euros, that Apple hid in Ireland, would pay for 72 MILLION 310w Solar Panels @ $200.

*I'm ever hopeful she will be impeached, indicted, and incarcerated before 2020.

Type
    INTP
    The Nightmare Scenario for Florida’s Coastal Homeowners

Demand and financing could collapse before the sea consumes a single house.
    Ross Hancock has the same worry, and sold his four-bedroom house in Coral Gables three years ago. He described South Florida’s real estate market as “pessimists selling to optimists,” and said he wanted to cash out while the latter still outnumbered the former.
    Sean Becketti, the chief economist at Freddie Mac, warned in a report last year of a housing crisis for coastal areas more severe than the Great Recession, one that could spread through banks, insurers and other industries. And, unlike the recession, there’s no hope of a bounce back in property values.
    All of this could be years off, but given Florida's geography I think they'll be among the first crises.

Flood insurance rates increase

In 2012, after hurricanes Katrina, Sandy and other major storms plunged the flood program deeply into debt, Congress enacted the Biggert-Waters Flood Insurance Reform Act of 2012, which was intended to remove government discounts and bring insurance rates charged for risky properties up to levels reflecting actual risk. But many owners of those risky properties were enraged by the increases in their renewal notices in 2014, and they pressured Congress to throttle back on the rate of increases.

The result was a 25 percent annual limit on rate increases for properties in flood hazard zones, paid for with a new surcharge imposed on all property owners.

Type
    intp
    Is it OK to tinker with the environment...

For the past few years, the Harvard professor David Keith has been sketching this vision: Ten Gulfstream jets, outfitted with special engines that allow them to fly safely around the stratosphere at an altitude of 70,000 feet, take off from a runway near the Equator. Their cargo includes thousands of pounds of a chemical compound — liquid sulfur, let’s suppose — that can be sprayed as a gas from the aircraft. It is not a one-time event; the flights take place throughout the year, dispersing a load that amounts to 25,000 tons. If things go right, the gas converts to an aerosol of particles that remain aloft and scatter sunlight for two years. The payoff? A slowing of the earth’s warming — for as long as the Gulfstream flights continue.

Keith argues that such a project, usually known as solar geoengineering, is technologically feasible and — with a back-of-the-envelope cost of under $1 billion annually — ought to be fairly cheap from a cost-benefit perspective, considering the economic damages potentially forestalled: It might do good for a world unable to cut carbon-dioxide emissions enough to prevent further temperature increases later this century.

What surprised me, then, as Keith paced around his Harvard office one morning in early March, was his listing all the reasons humans might not want to hack the environment. “Actually, I’m writing a paper on this right now,” he said. Most of his thoughts were related to the possible dangers of trying to engineer our way out of a climate problem of nearly unimaginable scientific, political and moral complexity. Solar geoengineering might lead to what some economists call “lock-in,” referring to the momentum that a new technology, even one with serious flaws, can assume after it gains a foothold in the market. The qwerty keyboard is one commonly cited example; the internal combustion engine is another. Once we start putting sulfate particles in the atmosphere, he mused, would we really be able to stop?

Type
    INTP
    Wind Power in Texas

Wind power in Texas consists of many wind farms with a total installed nameplate capacity of 21,044 MW from over 40 different projects. Texas produces the most wind power of any U.S. state. Wind power accounted for 12.63% of the electricity generated in Texas in the 12 months ending Oct 2016.
    Driving across the panhandle of Texas a week ago I was surprised to see -thousands- of giant windmills along I40. They seemed to go on for the better part of a hundred miles. On the return trip on I80 across Iowa and Nebraska, on the other hand, I only noticed scattered wind farms.