Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Need direction/reality check

Type
    INTP

Need direction/reality check

What part of your job makes you feel creative or smart or that you accomplished something important that you are proud of?

How often do you feel like that at your job?

How did you end up at that job?

I dont like my job.
    I dont like to deal with people's problems and politics and beaurocracy, and schedules and hierarchy.
    Nothing makes me feel creative or smart or proud at my job.
    May be jobs are not meant to make you feel like that.
    I dont know.

I prefer to work alone.
    Most people annoy me.
    I have a few friends that i like though mainly because they are independent or interesting or smart.

I need inspiration or guidance based on the job reality of other INTPs and not theories about how great or bad different jobs are.
    I need to carve a new path or create alternatives for possible future career change.
    I have played with millions of ideas, but never tried anyone, really.

Lately i am thinking about practical jobs like carpentry or bicycle mechanic.Mainly because of the little socializing aspect and the creative/problem solving nature of the work. Also the tangible results.
    But i need education and networking to get into them and i am not sure if i invest in them i will stick to them.

What do you think/know about those?

I am a goverment office employee/slacker and a serial hobyyist( spearfishing, free diving, mountain biking, swimming, online poker, writing poetry, playing billiards, tennis, camping, off roading, hiking, reading, debating) with a wife and kid.
    Last edited by username; 05-08-2014 at 10:08 AM.

Type
    INTP
    nobody feels creative or smart or proud of their job?

Type
    INTP
    ..I do (and fairly newly too)
    but I'm holding off on posting in this and Neville's thread until I'm sober. Maybe next week sometime?

[Half-joking.. It's a reply I want to put some thought into though]

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by username View Post
    Not really.

I suppose I occasionally come up with to odd creative/smart solution to whatever mundane corporate task I am working on, but with the curse of the INTP "big picture" perspective it doesn't mean that much to me. Is being a shiny cog in the machine really much better than a tarnished one?

As long as my job produces an acceptable level of income, I can deal with it. Your current role of government slacker seems near ideal (low stress, better than average pay, pension, vacation, and job security).

Banned
    Type
    INTP
    I do, at times. Actually, I'd say having a job gave me a lot of confidence I didn't have. I'm not designing space shuttles or anything, but I'm good at many aspects of it. Granted, I'm very bored with it most of the time.
    Last edited by msg_v2; 05-14-2014 at 10:00 PM.

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    Much of your problem parallels what I've encountered and I have waited off on "proving my competence with skool" because of how jobs are kind of becoming obsolete unless we create them to resolve some BS standard of incompetent systems tolerance.

At some point you may run into this problem:

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man." George Bernard Shaw

Or?

My hypothesis is that companies that are too enmeshed in denying critical thinking to there operations, despite wanting to resolve such issues, and cannot reasonably succeed in progress without such "jerks."

Do "jerks" set themselves up for failure by resolving such issues; issues which conceal the fundamental flaw of a business (whether it be moral reasoning or operational deficiency.) Can "jerks" be more ethical if they don't follow the herd mentality of such organizations, and if so why do so many sabotage the "jerk?"

Might the perception of a "jerk" be the result of a misconception, much like a Solomon Asch experiment on conformity and how, if they might represent an affront to the status quo, could easily be derived as a "jerk" because someone does not "relate."

The reality is INTP are fairly rare and fairly creative, and more than likely will always have problems finding a niche that doesn't cause conflict within an organization.
    Last edited by Catoptric; 05-14-2014 at 11:09 PM.

Type
    xxxx
    i try not to base my identity around my job, so it's easier to accept work-related boredom and/or torture as simply part of life. i do have vague plans however to eventually get a better one.

my current day job is a chance to exercise my visual-spatial intelligence & ability for creative/technical problem-solving. this is maybe the dressed-up version; day to day it can be pretty mundane. there's plenty of down time and of course it's boring and awful then, but whatever. i've only been here for a few months so i'll see when i'm desperate to get out.

i got this job cuz i wanted to get paid to learn new things (i'm at a level where many things are new) + wanted something flexible enough to allow for part time studies & freelancing.
    Last edited by jigglypuff; 05-14-2014 at 10:53 PM.

Banned
    Type
    INTP
    ^ That sounds awesome.

Type
    INTP
    What part of your job makes you feel creative or smart or that you accomplished something important that you are proud of?
    When I started here I made some changes and upgrades which made things more efficient and saved money. I work with animals every day and try to understand what they're telling me, help them build their skills, improve their lives. I like that kind of problem solving. It's very satisfying to watch them advance day by day. I do a good job of keeping things running smoothly and the borders happy.

How often do you feel like that at your job?
    Every day.

How did you end up at that job?
    A friend of mine got offered her dream job and asked me if I would take over the running of her ranch so she could take the job. I said yes.

I don't like to deal with people's problems and politics and beaurocracy, and schedules and hierarchy.
    I don't like those things either. I do much better with them when I'm in charge, however.

Lately i am thinking about practical jobs like carpentry or bicycle mechanic.Mainly because of the little socializing aspect and the creative/problem solving nature of the work. Also the tangible results.
    But i need education and networking to get into them and i am not sure if i invest in them i will stick to them.
    I might have mentioned before a friend of mine who's a poet. He works as a building inspector. It's a low-stress, fairly straight forward job where few people demand his time or focus. That keeps him regularly employed with a good paycheck and still leaves his mind free to work on his poetry. That's an example of someone who chose a sort of minimalist job to free up his internal resources for the things he finds important.
    Yes, I smell like a horse. No, I don't consider that a problem.

Type
    xxxx
    Quote Originally Posted by msg_v2 View Post
    ^ That sounds awesome.
    i wouldn't say it's awesome but i try my best every single day to make myself excited and see the bigger picture, that i'm doing ok - good for where i am in life, i'm not ready to settle yet and still wanna learn. learning is a huge motivator.