Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What did you feed your mind today?

Type
    INTP

What did you feed your mind today?

A typical mind diet today for me - mounds and mounds of data analysis at work.
    During my morning and evening drive to and from work, the audiobook Mindsight by Dan Siegel (although I prefer his lectures on the topic, I'm less interested in his books - but it will do - as I need to refocus my mind on mental health).
    INTPcomplex forum threads and posts. I have to weigh the pros and cons of doing this, as I'm essentially feeding my mind with the content of this forum. In many ways, it's opened up new areas of potential interest, but I do need to monitor the potential adverse effects.
    Reddit, as usual - similar to INTPcomplex, I can find seeds of healthy mental snacks, but I have to make sure I limit my intake of junk food submissions and subreddits.
    About to head off to the fitness center where I will probably watch Penny Dreadful. After that, we'll see.
    (Not a comprehensive list, but enough to create a thread)

Tawaci ki a Gnaska ki Osito Polar's Avatar
    Type
    INTP
    I listened to a Vice magazine podcast about the 2008 terrorist attacks in Mumbai on the Taj Mahal Hotel, and the American terrorist David Headley who helped orchestrate the operation. It was an interesting enough story that I continued reading about it after I got to work.

The contents of this forum.

news.google.com -- not a news source per se, but I usually read whatever stories it recommends
    "I don't have psychological problems." --Madrigal

"When you write about shooting Polemarch in the head, that's more like a first-person view, like you're there looking down the sight of the gun." --Utisz

David Wong, regarding Chicago
    Six centuries ago, the pre-Colombian natives who settled here named this region with a word which in their language means "the Mouth of Shadow". Later, the Iroquois who showed up and inexplicably slaughtered every man, woman and child renamed it "Seriously, Fuck that Place". When French explorer Jacques Marquette passed through the area he marked his map with a drawing of a brownish blob emerging from between the Devil's buttocks.

Type
    INTP
    Mostly current events: Gowdy and the establishment of the Select Committee on Benghazi, etc. I'll also read some spiritual texts before bed.
    Yes, I smell like a horse. No, I don't consider that a problem.

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    On War by Clausewitz (during work - now a German guy is making conversation with me, great). After work, a Zizek lecture on Che's statements re: love and revolution (not really though, he basically talks about whatever the fuck he wants), and then discussing philosophy, jazz and relationships with my twin sister until dinner time.

Now I'm panicking because I didn't get anything done.
    Everything under heaven is in utter chaos; the situation is excellent. - Mao

Type
    xxxx
    stuff on this forum, art tatum to and from work, a little twitter, bullshit at work, chicken behavior, color studies for a poster i'm designing, more shit.

Type
    INTP
    I played Cards Against Humanity. Does that count?

Banned
    Type
    INTP
    garbage, mostly.

Type
    xxxx
    On the fallibility of eyewitness testimonies

On statistical contrasts between two pools of groups

Some redditing

I should really bring a book instead of redditing.
    "I fucking hate the cold!" - Wim Hof

art and flowers: https://www.instagram.com/cloudlilt/

Type
    INTP
    Mostly research papers. Interactions between the nitrogen forms plant take in, and the relative production of different plant growth hormone groups. This is a field I am somewhat expert in, but I am preparing grant applications to extend my work.

Finding out a little about a titanium salt I intend doing studies with.

Reading a novel by Jose Saramago (The Stone Raft).

Radio 4 news.

Mens bona regnum possidet ferrus's Avatar
    Type
    INTP
    I've been reading The Making of the Atomic Bomb by Richard Rhodes. A sort of Homeric epic of history and science.

Researching Scala/functional programming.

Reading articles on Finnish-Russian and Swedish-Russian relations since WW2 and their reluctance to join NATO.

Plan to watch Marcell Jankovics's animation this weekend, which is an adaption of the great, if obscure outside Hungary, 19th century play The Tragedy of Man, which was written after the failed 1848 revolution their by a disillusioned radical, which is essentially a pessimistic recounting of history - from Ancient Egypt and the revolt of the freed slaves, Miltiades death in Athens after the battle of marathon, to Byzantium, to Kepler's discoveries stymied by quotidian concerns, to Danton's beheading, Victorian London, a corrupt dystopian civilisation of the future, and then finally a group of Eskimos, the last survivors of a collapsed world civilisation - and the failure of progress by Satan to an Adam who asks for all knowledge as promised. But with the twist that even though progress is often an illusion, the worst circumstances often have the grain of hope in them. A Paradise Lost for the industrial age, and aided by Jankovics's animations which are vivid and quite exceptional works of art in themselves, making use of an early 20th century tradition of rich, chiaroscuric animation which has died out in many Western countries. It's not available on DVD - it was shown last year in London (and at some film festivals in France and the US) but hasn't been made available for general release - thankfully there is something up on youtube.
    Last edited by ferrus; 05-09-2014 at 07:11 PM.
    Die Logik ist keine Lehre, sondern ein Spiegelbild der Welt. Die Logik ist transcendental. - Wittgenstein