What is it?

n/a

When did you know?

n/a

How did you know?

n/a

Type
    INTP
    Do you have one? Usually when I'm manic, and over the years there have been many. With medication, my passions have become faint whispers of what they used to be.

What is it? Some examples of past passions: piano, painting, wildlife, travel, certain men, certain authors, certain music, certain areas of interest.

When did you know? Uncontrollable urge to pursue those passions, obsessive thinking about them, when I wasn't directly engaged in their fulfillment.

How did you know? Same as above.

Most importantly, my passions have been fickle.

Tawaci ki a Gnaska ki Osito Polar's Avatar
    Type
    INTP
    Do you have one?

Only ONE?

What is it?

Women. Technology. Traveling to new places.

When did you know?

When I was about six or seven years old I absolutely loved learning how to program in BASIC.

Growing up, we traveled a lot and moved around a lot. I always liked the experience of going to a new place, meeting new people and learning a new way of doing things.

As for women, I knew from a very young age that I was straight.

How did you know?

Life set a number of things before me. I separated them and thought to myself "These things are awesome. These things are all right. These things are odious." The things in your awesome group are the things you're passionate about.
    "I don't have psychological problems." --Madrigal

"When you write about shooting Polemarch in the head, that's more like a first-person view, like you're there looking down the sight of the gun." --Utisz

David Wong, regarding Chicago
    Six centuries ago, the pre-Colombian natives who settled here named this region with a word which in their language means "the Mouth of Shadow". Later, the Iroquois who showed up and inexplicably slaughtered every man, woman and child renamed it "Seriously, Fuck that Place". When French explorer Jacques Marquette passed through the area he marked his map with a drawing of a brownish blob emerging from between the Devil's buttocks.

Type
    INTP
    Do you have one?

A few

What is it?

They are more like categories, difficult to describe including:

- learning and experiences (like travel)

- myself (improvement, honesty, observation)

- intimacy (love, sex, relationships, bonding) with a subcategory of communication

- child development and early education

- finding more efficient and rewarding ways to live

When did you know?

Different times for different ones. Some I knew right away when exposed to them, some I realized when it wasn't in my life, others required thought.

How did you know?

For some they are things I wholeheartedly believe would lead to a better life. I could give reasons WHY they help life but honestly can't tell if I came up with those reasons to justify my belief or if they caused my belief. That was a clue for me.

For the ones I had to think about I took a long process of "What would I rather have..." as in what would I sacrifice to get "x". Would I rather be wealthy with no close relationship or semi-poor with a great marriage? How far would this go? Repeat with enough questions and enough honesty and you can get a rough idea of whats really important to you. Or at least get an idea of what is worth what price to you so you don't accidentally sacrifice too much for something you don't really value.

But looking at all of them I would say that for me the sensation of having a passion is a combination of two things. The first is an attracted/driven feeling similar to curiosity; the subjects interest me. The second (maybe it is part of the first) they each have their own intrinsic rewards. Pursuing them gives me something beyond any extrinsic rewards they might gain.

I think that is key to any passion and trying to consider extrinsic rewards really muddles the waters. In fact, I do believe that idea that as soon as you start becoming extrinsically rewarded for something you start thinking of that action as being done for the purpose of the extrinsic reward when considering it's worth. In that way, getting rewarded for a job you would do for free makes that job more difficult to do.

Type
    xNxx
    Quote Originally Posted by Neville View Post
    Do you have one?
    Several, yeah.

What is it?
    Music, writing.

When did you know?
    Writing at 14, music at 18

How did you know?
    Because it's all I wanted to do. In both cases I would carry around gear- paper, pen, guitar, flute- and work on it whenever I got the chance.

Type
    INTP
    Do you have one?
    Several.

What is it?
    Religion, psychology, horses/animals, languages, long distance hiking/wilderness living, exercise physiology, teaching, dance.

When did you know?
    Religion - about fifteen years ago
    Psychology - high school
    Horses/animals - around age 2
    Languages - sixth grade
    Hiking/wilderness - I got Springer fever around 2002 but it probably has its roots in camping/hiking I did with my family as a kid
    ExPhys - college
    Teaching - college
    Dance - toddler

How did you know?
    Either slowly or suddenly it became a consuming interest that subsumed nearly everything else for a time, then persisted as a higher-priority interest over my lifetime.
    Yes, I smell like a horse. No, I don't consider that a problem.

Tawaci ki a Gnaska ki Osito Polar's Avatar
    Type
    INTP
    How did you know that you were passionate about dancing as a toddler?

And how much about being a toddler do you remember?

When you first started dancing, did the diaper help you to booty shake, or did it get in your way?
    "I don't have psychological problems." --Madrigal

"When you write about shooting Polemarch in the head, that's more like a first-person view, like you're there looking down the sight of the gun." --Utisz

David Wong, regarding Chicago
    Six centuries ago, the pre-Colombian natives who settled here named this region with a word which in their language means "the Mouth of Shadow". Later, the Iroquois who showed up and inexplicably slaughtered every man, woman and child renamed it "Seriously, Fuck that Place". When French explorer Jacques Marquette passed through the area he marked his map with a drawing of a brownish blob emerging from between the Devil's buttocks.

Type
    INTP
    Do you have one?

yes

What is it?

not working

When did you know?

when i got my first job

How did you know?
    I felt it. it was very strong disgust for work.
    I like to do whatever i want, whenever i want.

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Osito Polar View Post
    How did you know that you were passionate about dancing as a toddler?

And how much about being a toddler do you remember?

When you first started dancing, did the diaper help you to booty shake, or did it get in your way?
    I think I was out of diapers at that point, lol. I bopped around to songs on the radio and my parents' records a lot so they decided to get me into dance lessons. You can start at 18 months. I loved the lessons and dancing. Still do.

I have a few memories of being a toddler: sitting on my dad's shoulders watching a fireworks show, probably at Disneyland, and playing in the sand at the beach. I remember my mom standing by a wooden corral calling me to "come pet the horsie." She (my mom) was wearing a green scarf. I clumsily ran up and the horse politely bent its head down to me, probably to sneef me and try to determine what this odd creature was. I'm pretty sure that was at my grandparents' house. I petted the horse on the nose which was extraordinarily soft - that place right between their nostrils. I still like that spot although not all horses like to be pet there. Mr. Bitey does, heh.

Don't you remember much as a toddler?
    Yes, I smell like a horse. No, I don't consider that a problem.