Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Austin - The Good - The Bad - The Ugly

Type
    xxxx

Austin - The Good - The Bad - The Ugly

So my job has decided to relocate to Austin. I'm undecided on whether or not to go. Curious to hear your perspective if you've lived there?

Tawaci ki a Gnaska ki Osito Polar's Avatar
    Type
    INTP
    Oh shit.

Sorry to hear that, dude.

How do you feel about Texas culturally? I think that's one of the most significant differences you'd find in moving there. That's pretty subjective as to whether you'd find it attractive or not.
    "I don't have psychological problems." --Madrigal

"When you write about shooting Polemarch in the head, that's more like a first-person view, like you're there looking down the sight of the gun." --Utisz

David Wong, regarding Chicago
    Six centuries ago, the pre-Colombian natives who settled here named this region with a word which in their language means "the Mouth of Shadow". Later, the Iroquois who showed up and inexplicably slaughtered every man, woman and child renamed it "Seriously, Fuck that Place". When French explorer Jacques Marquette passed through the area he marked his map with a drawing of a brownish blob emerging from between the Devil's buttocks.

.: PERSISTENCE IS ALL :. Pan_Sonic_000's Avatar
    Type
    ENxx
    It's the best part of Texas, IMO. Which doesn't mean Austin is great, it just means it's the best part of an otherwise pretty unremarkable state.

Um...you can't throw a rock without hitting someone with an acoustic guitar. Lots of musicians / hipsters / tech and media types. 6th street is (or was) a really fun part of town. It's a pretty youthful town. Crowded. It can get humid, but not unbearably bad like other cities.

I say go for it.
    Wild skies
    Full moon and thoughts collide
    We look for answers in those catatonic, bloodshot eyes
    A steady stream of madness
    Rises to a flood...

...The clock is ticking for Bad Blood

Type
    intp
    I like to call Austin a bunch of neighborhoods vaguely connected to a downtown business district that are in denial about being a city.

I'm pretty excited to leave it in time for the sweltering summer heat. That said, there's a lot of decent people here, and a lot of opportunities for patio day-drinking. There are quirky places still, though things are being developed to look like suburbs. I live in an area north of the UT campus that will look completely different in five years or so. It's strange to encounter so many people who don't see beyond Texas. Someone was excited to discover that the PNW has a big microbrew culture, "it's not just an Austin thing!" The hipsters generally know better- mention living in PNW and you'll have instant cred.

If the job is decent, it'd be worth being here for a couple years. I'd be willing to stay longer if I was in a more sedentary mood, but I need to move on. I'll miss the breakfast tacos.

Type
    INTP
    I can't stand the place -- The highway infrastructure sucks and everything about that whole Austin/San Antonio area just feels depressing and dated.

Also, the high school anti-conformist in me hates Austin because it was built up to be the promised land for which all young Houstonians embark to after they graduate.

Type
    INtP
    INTPx Award Winner
    Yeah but is the Condom Store still there?
    This just in: I'm accepting all friend requests too unless you're a fricken jerk and I can't stand your existence and inane drivel. If that's the case, then I'll accept your friend request so I can keep an eye on your ass unless you don't hold any interest for me; then only the threat of keeping my eye on you stands. feces

Type
    xxxx
    Thanks for the feedback guys. Just in the data gathering phase. Helps to hear from like-minded eccentrics. I'm leaning toward staying in the Bay Area. I haven't had a good unemployment vacation in 5 years or so.

Quote Originally Posted by Osito Polar View Post
    Oh shit.

Sorry to hear that, dude.

How do you feel about Texas culturally? I think that's one of the most significant differences you'd find in moving there. That's pretty subjective as to whether you'd find it attractive or not.
    I've never been to Texas outside the airport. Never had a reason to. I usually end up hating any stereotype I'm surrounded with in my environment.

Quote Originally Posted by sandwitch View Post
    I like to call Austin a bunch of neighborhoods vaguely connected to a downtown business district that are in denial about being a city.

I'm pretty excited to leave it in time for the sweltering summer heat. That said, there's a lot of decent people here, and a lot of opportunities for patio day-drinking. There are quirky places still, though things are being developed to look like suburbs. I live in an area north of the UT campus that will look completely different in five years or so. It's strange to encounter so many people who don't see beyond Texas. Someone was excited to discover that the PNW has a big microbrew culture, "it's not just an Austin thing!" The hipsters generally know better- mention living in PNW and you'll have instant cred.

If the job is decent, it'd be worth being here for a couple years. I'd be willing to stay longer if I was in a more sedentary mood, but I need to move on. I'll miss the breakfast tacos.
    I'll work on my "no regrets" tattoo on my clavicle.

Type
    INTP
    I am also thinking of relocating to Austin. I consider it preferable to the bay area, but I haven't finished my research.

Banned
    Type
    INTP
    I'd choose the Bay Area over Austin. Austin would just be like college again. I thought San Francisco was awesome, though.

I think for somewhere like Austin, you have to be a very specific "type" of eccentric person

I think the city has limits.
    Last edited by msg_v2; 05-10-2014 at 05:49 PM.

Type
    INTj
    Austin is going through a record drought right now. It's a real bummer if growing your own vegetables and fruits without consuming your entire life matters to you. Trust me I'm speaking from experience.

Yet PBS is free, the local culture has a rabid respect for education, and art is considered meaningful. You won't be disappointed if you love indulging in the useless there.
    What's the difference? It's just soda, bro.