Page 1 of 20 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Do you wish you were smarter? Honestly.

Type
    INTP

Do you wish you were smarter? Honestly.

Our type can often make us appear smarter than we actually are. I think it's because we use whatever intelligence we have to its fullest extent. Most of us do, in fact, have higher than average IQs (and none of us would admit being average, although I feel like people with average intelligence wouldn't develop into INTP, because they wouldn't get rewarded enough to end up this obscure) I digress.

I think IQs are kind of bullshit other than you get a general feel of where you lay in the spectrum.

I've met two people with confirmed freakishly high IQs, don't know the type of one of them but she was a thinker... and a crazy person. The typical manifestation of the negative side to being hyper aware of the world. The other was an ISFJ (I mentioned on another thread), and she was about as well adjusted as any super high IQ'd person, and I think in large part to do with she didn't have a personality that made her feel inclined to figure out the abstract things that are impossible to know if you figured it out, nor dwell of the larger negative aspects of bigger systems. She was very present, and enjoyed using her mind on measurable, tangible things.

I think it could be a living hell to be an INTP with an IQ higher than 150. Personally. Thoughts?

In short, I personally feel lucky I'm not any smarter or dumber than I currently am. If I were dumber, I would hope to be a different type.

Type
    INTP
    I'm content enough with my smarts I guess.

But ..if there was a little button out there somewhere that magically doubled the number of things I knew, I'd be leaning on that fkr like a junkie on a morphine buzzer.

Type
    ENTP
    From a raw IQ standpoint, I'm about as smart as I'd want to be.

But I could totally benefit from an upgrade in:

- tolerance for working hard
    - patience with long term things
    - empathy for other human beings
    We didn't land on Plymouth Rock. Plymouth Rock landed on us.

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Valkyrie View Post
    But ..if there was a little button out there somewhere that magically doubled the number of things I knew, I'd be leaning on that fkr like a junkie on a morphine buzzer.
    See, to me that would be such a gamble. I'd be afraid of ending up like that crazy girl I mentioned in my first post. Knowing how I use my mind, I think it'd be dangerous for me to have the ability to understand anything I felt like to the fullest degree.

Type
    xxxx
    INTPx Award Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by Polemarch View Post
    From a raw IQ standpoint
    What does raw IQ mean?
    I fucking hate the cold! - Wim Hof

Check out my art. https://www.instagram.com/karililt/

Type
    xxxx
    INTPx Award Winner
    I would like to be smarter because then uni would be easier, I could exert less brain power and focus on better things

(Like arts n crafts!!)
    I fucking hate the cold! - Wim Hof

Check out my art. https://www.instagram.com/karililt/

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    I would love to be smarter in a definite and noticeable sense. A more vivid imagination, greater speed at absorbing difficult mathematical concepts, being able to read Kant's Critique of Pure Reason like a Reader's Digest article, absorb language through single exposure and inference--even better would be if it involved making and adhering to progressively better life decisions.

Type
    ENTP
    Quote Originally Posted by kali View Post
    What does raw IQ mean?
    I guess that's debatable. But I meant it in the context of the way someone would score on the types of standardized IQ tests I've taken before (i.e. in school, MENSA, etc.)

I was always smart, whatever smart means, so school was easy for me, and I never had to work hard. So I never really learned how to work hard. I've had to grudgingly, slowly, learn how to work hard as an adult. An extra 5 points of IQ wouldn't do much for me, but an extra 5 points of working hard would do wonders.
    We didn't land on Plymouth Rock. Plymouth Rock landed on us.

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Sloth View Post
    See, to me that would be such a gamble. I'd be afraid of ending up like that crazy girl I mentioned in my first post. Knowing how I use my mind, I think it'd be dangerous for me to have the ability to understand anything I felt like to the fullest degree.
    I agree, it probably would be!

Increasing specific factual knowledge/recall wouldn't necessarily increase the ability to comprehend though.. just as being well educated isn't the same thing as being intelligent.

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Hephaestus View Post
    --even better would be if it involved making and adhering to progressively better life decisions.
    HELL yes, sign me up for that :/