Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Do you wish you were smarter? Honestly.

Type
    xxxx
    INTPx Award Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by sandwitch View Post
    I'd just like it if my skull weren't so thick. I want to understand things better, without having to re-read/find outlines/wait until someone says it better in class. I feel like I miss so much.
    I am exactly the same way - sometimes I sit in my philosophy class wondering what the hell people are debating about. Then I go home and study and then it becomes clear to me. But how can people catch on so quickly?!

But there is something immensely satisfying about conquering a concept that was once a mystery to you. I don't think geniuses get that luxury very often.
    I fucking hate the cold! - Wim Hof

Check out my art. https://www.instagram.com/karililt/

Type
    xxxx
    INTPx Award Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by C.J.Woolf View Post
    How intelligent can you be and still not become alienated from other people? That's how intelligent I'd like to be.
    Probably like a few IQ points below the mensa IQ requirement. Any IQ points higher and you'd have to join mensa to unalienate yourself from humanity.
    I fucking hate the cold! - Wim Hof

Check out my art. https://www.instagram.com/karililt/

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by C.J.Woolf View Post
    How intelligent can you be and still not become alienated from other people? That's how intelligent I'd like to be.
    I don't think there's a limit. I'm not going to argue that higher IQ people have a harder time relating to other people, but I think they could if they wanted to. They just have different preferences than most people, and thus relating to average people is work the way understanding difficult concepts is work to average people. They have to think outside their comfort zone. I think a lot of smart people consider their inability to relate to other people as a badge of honor, and average people seem to accept it.

Type
    INTP
    Honestly, yes - but it's a slippery slope. If I had just a wee bit more to better grasp what I'm interested in that would be nice. A new set of imponderables would quickly replace the current set though. I'm not smart enough to resist the temptation.

There are other things that would be more useful mentioned in the thread already; work ethic, focus, empathy, etc. I'd add memory to the list. More please.

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by gator View Post
    I'm not sure that increasing my IQ would really provide much additional benefit over where I am right now. I think it would probably just make it that much harder for me to relate to other people.
    That's kinda where I've been at for awhile.

My issues usually relate to things other than my intelligence level.

Quote Originally Posted by starla View Post
    I don't think there's a limit. I'm not going to argue that higher IQ people have a harder time relating to other people, but I think they could if they wanted to. They just have different preferences than most people, and thus relating to average people is work the way understanding difficult concepts is work to average people. They have to think outside their comfort zone. I think a lot of smart people consider their inability to relate to other people as a badge of honor, and average people seem to accept it.
    That's actually a huge issue, and very difficult to overcome. Yes, "badge of honor" at being above others -- but when you're basically viewing the world through a lens that doesn't naturally appreciate things other people appreciate (and maybe even views those things as a negative), it's very difficult to change that perspective by force of will because you'll still see those things as undesirable. it will make no sense to you.

Somehow you have to have experiences that show you, realistically, how other people's perspectives actually have value and your own perspective isn't as great in all situations as you've thought it was. At that point, you can really start to embrace the idea that perhaps you can relate to people in ways other than your preferences.

It's not nearly a easy as flipping a switch or just "thinking outside their comfort zone." That type of transition can be arduous.

Type
    INFP

I agree with all of this. Of the people I know with higher than average to a scary-as-hell level of intelligence who have made a concious decision to hone their social skills have all come out extremely adept. Its a huge subject though and the couple people I asked about it have indicated that they gave up learning other things or taking opportunities that would have led them to other forms of academic or professional heights not available to most.

I would leave my IQ where it is, but if I had the opportunity I would jump at the chance to do away with my learning disabilities. Even just the dyscalculia. In tests that don't take them into account I score wonderfully low. It makes a great conversational filter to discover who is taking their reported intelligence too seriously.

"Dude, your IQ is like 100 points higher than mine!"

Banned
    Type
    INTP
    This is fine for friends, but I don't want my romantic relationships to look like that. It's a lot of work to do this, work that isn't usually reciprocated by the other person. It's all well and good to say there is no reason to judge other people, but that doesn't protect yourself from being judged.

I also think when people say that, it's less a badge of honor than a defense.

Quote Originally Posted by Charde
    Somehow you have to have experiences that show you, realistically, how other people's perspectives actually have value and your own perspective isn't as great in all situations as you've thought it was. At that point, you can really start to embrace the idea that perhaps you can relate to people in ways other than your preferences.

It's not nearly a easy as flipping a switch or just "thinking outside their comfort zone." That type of transition can be arduous.
    I also think that this can be really hard work sometimes, and you aren't necessarily going to reap rewards from it.
    Last edited by msg_v2; 05-13-2014 at 03:27 PM.

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by msg_v2 View Post
    This is fine for friends, but I don't want my romantic relationships to look like that. It's a lot of work to do this, work that isn't usually reciprocated by the other person. It's all well and good to say there is no reason to judge other people, but that doesn't protect yourself from being judged.
    Most people would agree, and most people wind up pairing up with someone who is more or less an intellectual equal. If you're one of those folks at the far right of the bell curve though, your pool of equals is going to be vanishingly small.

Banned
    Type
    INTP
    Most people would agree, and most people wind up pairing up with someone who is more or less an intellectual equal. If you're one of those folks at the far right of the bell curve though, your pool of equals is going to be vanishingly small.
    That's why I don't wish for a higher IQ... the most I'd want is like 10 points higher.

Type
    INTP
    Obvious answer is yes. I don't think one can be too smart.

In reality though, what I would like is more knowledge rather than more IQ. I think my IQ is sufficient to learn basically any subject I wanted if I was to really work at it, but of course, I lack the desire/willingness to invest the effort.

Having said that, I seem to be a slow learner in the areas of language and music. It wouldn't surprise me if this area of my brain has a below average IQ. Assuming my self assessment is accurate, I could definitely use an IQ bump there.