Thread: Monitor repair

Banned
    Type
    INTP

Monitor repair

Anyone here ever fixed LCD monitors? I have an Acer P244w, and the image just turns off for a second or two periodically. Recently, I've started having a problem where I can't turn the thing on at all. I have to wait a little bit, and then it will turn on again. I was wondering if it's a simple matter of replacing something like a backlight.

Type
    INtP
    INTPx Award Winner
    Somehow I didn't see this thread. Yes I have fixed them. I don't know how tell if its the cold cathode tube or the voltage inverter other than by swapping parts out. The inverters are device specific(each with their special plugs etc) but the tubes can be moved around if they fit.

Though monitor can be had for $5 at garage sales so prolly not worth it these days.
    This just in: I'm accepting all friend requests too unless you're a fricken jerk and I can't stand your existence and inane drivel. If that's the case, then I'll accept your friend request so I can keep an eye on your ass unless you don't hold any interest for me; then only the threat of keeping my eye on you stands. feces

Banned
    Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by latch View Post
    Somehow I didn't see this thread. Yes I have fixed them. I don't know how tell if its the cold cathode tube or the voltage inverter other than by swapping parts out. The inverters are device specific(each with their special plugs etc) but the tubes can be moved around if they fit.

Though monitor can be had for $5 at garage sales so prolly not worth it these days.
    LCD screens have cathode tubes?

Type
    INtP
    INTPx Award Winner
    Yeah are on the edges mostly on the top and bottom but sometimes on the sides- if they're not a wide screen. They are about an eighth of an inch thick or 3 mm. They use acrylic, diffusers and bright white plastic to make the light uniform on the screen. Occasionally only one tube will go bad and you can see the only the top is lit or one of the sides. I would think if the whole back-light is going bad then it would be the inverter that is to blame.
    This just in: I'm accepting all friend requests too unless you're a fricken jerk and I can't stand your existence and inane drivel. If that's the case, then I'll accept your friend request so I can keep an eye on your ass unless you don't hold any interest for me; then only the threat of keeping my eye on you stands. feces