Page 1 of 21 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Dove Campaign for Real Beauty

Type
    xxxx

Dove Campaign for Real Beauty

1. Not all women are beautiful.
    2. Some women are ugly, and that's fine.
    3. Dove's goal is to condition women to base ALL their self-esteem on being beautiful.
    4. They're brainwashing women into believing that they can't be confident and happy unless they feel beautiful.
    5. Dove advertisements aren't aimed at men because media generally does not correlate a man's self worth with his own beauty.

1. Say a woman starts to feel beautiful and empowered after watching a particularly touching Dove advertisement.
    2. Once she encounters a fashion magazine showing extremely narrow standards of beauty, of which she does not fit, she will experience an extreme dissonance in her head. ("I am beautiful. But I am not beautiful".)
    3. Her previous conceptions of her own beauty, coupled with her newfound stress on the importance of beauty, as well as her dissonance, will shatter her self-esteem.
    4. Unilever knows this. ALL ADVERTISING FUNCTIONS OFF THE INSECURITIES OF THE CONSUMER.
    5. If Dove Campaign truly made people feel happy with themselves, they would not buy their shitty moisturisers.
    6. Cue mass consumption.
    7. We are truly powerless in the shade of towering conglomerates
    "I fucking hate the cold!" - Wim Hof

art and flowers: https://www.instagram.com/cloudlilt/

Type
    INTP
    0. Don't fall for it.

Type
    IXXP
    Selling the intangible has always been the most powerful force behind any marketing campaign and I suspect it will remain so as long as we buy the concept that we lack nebulous somethings we can't be complete without yet can't exactly define what they are either.

Type
    ENTP
    Quote Originally Posted by kali View Post
    Analysis of Ad Campaign
    Generally agree with your cynical analysis. People fall victim to this crap constantly.

But I think @Ptah is right. The onus falls on the individual to filter those sorts of messages out, and identify them as the corporate-serving cheeseball rhetoric they are. How can anyone watch those Dove ads without laughing and/or throwing things at the screen? Don't people just tune out commercials these days anyway?
    We didn't land on Plymouth Rock. Plymouth Rock landed on us.

Type
    xxxx
    If you are poisoned, you will frantically consume anything that resembles an antidote.

Ask the women around you if they feel beautiful and comfortable in their own skin. Generally itd be no, and those who try to assure you that they are fine probably feels uncomfortable leaving the house without makeup.

I might be sheltered but I always hear good things about dove ads* and I'm sick of it.

* that one with the goddamn sketch artist
    "I fucking hate the cold!" - Wim Hof

art and flowers: https://www.instagram.com/cloudlilt/

Type
    INfj
    So... It's possible to be ugly and be ok with that?

I've met exactly one woman who was like that in my entire life. Due to a car accident, she wasn't able to exercise properly and gained a lot of weight. We had one of those brief N-connections, you know? Communicating at 10x the speed of the words coming out of our mouths even though we were only around each other for a weekend and had other work to do. She went out of her way to tell me that she has grown to accept that she won't be beautiful and to be comfortable with that fact. I kind of took her statement at face value then but I wonder what kind of a journey that was for her.

Maybe I should seek her out and ask her about it again. It's been like 5 years...so much has changed.

I actually thought she had kind of a cute face even with the weight but it wouldn't have made sense to say so.
    Last edited by Resonance; 05-14-2014 at 08:06 PM.

Type
    xxxx
    agreed with OP. it's not like they're changing the formula & can you really expect them to?

Type
    INFP

And if that's real beauty, what's fake beauty anyway? In a lot of those ads it seems like they're describing fake beauty, at least ostensibly, as the work of photoshop, rather than actual women. But it's more than that. The campaign's implicit paranoia about "fake beauty" falls into a bad pattern (a pattern that started way before photoshop even existed), in which the current style of beauty is dismissed as fake because "fake" women (ie their flat images-- they become "fake" irl due to their representation) who have that style of beauty appear in mass media. Therefore a new beauty becomes fashionable-- soon, overweight (or whatever) women will be considered not only "naturally beautiful," but Beautiful. Then they will be considered fake because their images start appearing everywhere and skinny (or whatever) people will become the Real Beauty again. On and on, and the "fashion" or lack thereof is your skin, unchangeable for the most part. (and if you're one of those few temporarily-privileged women who has a type of "unnatural beauty" that's going out of style, "hurry up and become invisible," I guess.)

The ads are built on (artificially-colored) red herrings.

Also, we should start censoring all those medieval paintings of female saints who have heavy eyelids. It's possible to be beautiful without heavy eyelids and don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

* that one with the goddamn sketch artist
    the male sketch artist!!!

EDIT
    I guess this doesn't have to be a problem but it seemed patronizing to me
    Last edited by Blorg; 05-14-2014 at 07:42 PM.
    "Better not to feel too much until the crisis ends—and if it never ends, at least we’ll have suffered a little less, developed a useful dullness...The constant—and very real—fear of being hurt, the fear of death, of intolerable loss, or even of “mere” humiliation, leads each of us, the citizens and prisoners of the conflict, to dampen our own vitality, our emotional and intellectual range, and to cloak ourselves in more and more protective layers until we suffocate." - Toni Morrison

a fool on a journey pensive_pilgrim's Avatar
    Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by kali View Post
    Dove's goal is to condition women to base ALL their self-esteem on being beautiful.
    Eh. I think women already base much of their self esteem on beauty and Dove is just taking advantage of this. They're trying to create an association in the consumer's mind between their brand and feeling beautiful. "Dove commercials make me feel beautiful, therefore Dove products will make me feel beautiful." Advertising doesn't tell people what values, fears and beliefs people should hold, it just takes advantage of the ones that are already present and directs that energy into consumerism.

Type
    INtP
    INTPx Award Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by pathogenetic_peripatetic View Post
    Advertising doesn't tell people what values, fears and beliefs people should hold, it just takes advantage of the ones that are already present and directs that energy into consumerism.
    It's a cyclical relationship. Advertising helps create these values, fears, and beliefs in the first place. A girl inundated with images of "ideal beauty" will internalize some of what she sees and think she should live up to that standard. Children are far more malleable than adults, and they don't recognize the psychological manipulation at work. Even adults who see it for the bullshit it is will be affected because it seeps into their subconsciousness.

The dividing line between advertising and entertainment is also quite thin.