Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What are some nonfiction books you think everyone should read?

Type
    XXXX

What are some nonfiction books you think everyone should read?

Anything that you think would improve the individual, or society at large.

Type
    INtP
    INTPx Award Winner
    Well, I didn't read that very closely, did I?

Quote Originally Posted by Mxx View Post
    So tempting to post 'The Bible'.
    I'll say it! The Bible.
    Last edited by ~h4ct6al~; 12-24-2013 at 03:30 AM.

Type
    INTP
    So tempting to post 'The Bible'.

If I were forced to choose, I'd go with some kind of Buddhist based psychology reference, as the general principals and attitudes that it would encompass would foster reason and ethics, encourage curiosity and open-mindedness, that I believe would ultimately lead the human mind to making discoveries about the individual, society and the universe.

Type
    ENTP
    The Road to Serfdom
    We didn't land on Plymouth Rock. Plymouth Rock landed on us.

.: PERSISTENCE IS ALL :. Pan_Sonic_000's Avatar
    Type
    ENxx
    If I were forced to choose, I'd go with some kind of Buddhist based psychology reference, as the general principals and attitudes that it would encompass would foster reason and ethics, encourage curiosity and open-mindedness, that I believe would ultimately lead the human mind to making discoveries about the individual, society and the universe.
    How much of Buddhism do you take as literally true (as in: extended mind / consciousness, reincarnation and other typical facets of such religions)?

Persona Oblongata OrionzRevenge's Avatar
    Type
    INtP
    The Lives of a Cell: Notes of a Biology Watcher by Lewis Thomas

It's about as dusty as me, but it's an almost poetic perspective on the interconnectedness of living things.

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Pan_Sonic_000 View Post
    How much of Buddhism do you take as literally true (as in: extended mind / consciousness, reincarnation and other typical facets of such religions)?
    Not much, personally - which is why I qualify the material as a psychology reference based on Buddhism - such as the practice of mindfulness that has many scientific studies and research pointing to its effectiveness.

Type
    INTP
    Maybe not for the population at large, but Gödel, Escher, Bach had a huge impact on me and I'd recommend it to any fellow INTP.

.: PERSISTENCE IS ALL :. Pan_Sonic_000's Avatar
    Type
    ENxx
    Not much, personally - which is why I qualify the material as a psychology reference based on Buddhism - such as the practice of mindfulness that has many scientific studies and research pointing to its effectiveness.
    And you are a practitioner yourself?

I recently started meditating, but the verdict is still out on whether it will effect me - or how. People have some interesting experiences with it, though (allegedly). I'm highly skeptical when they place it in spiritual framework, but the sheer physical benefits seem undeniable - even to the extent that I've noticed.

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Pan_Sonic_000 View Post
    And you are a practitioner yourself?
    In true INTP fashion, I obsessively read a variety of excerpts I came across by engaging authors, but found the theory a lot more fascinating than the practice itself. That being said, I did manage to absorb certain behaviours and attitudes that I believe are beneficial. Perhaps you'll have a similar take-away.

I often tell myself that mindfulness is a practice I'll devote my old age to, along with the cultivation of bonsai trees.