Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What do you think about the end of humanity?

Senior Member Tetris Champion notdavidlynch's Avatar
    Type
    INFP

What do you think about the end of humanity?

For a brief period of time I had symptoms of what I like to call "Lisa Simpson syndrome". I won't go into the details of what that is, since I normally don't apply it to guys, but it does involve doing things like converting to vegetarianism or veganism based on notions of helping "save the environment", or compulsively recycling, or composting, or renewable energy, or sustainability, or whatever. Basically, being an "environmentalist" because you fear climate change and it's ramifications on human societies, and fearing these changes because you're such a softy that you identify with the plight of people in far away places and you know that they're gonna be the ones to feel it all the hardest and the soonest - droughts, famine, disease, mass migration, war, etc, etc.

I think we have plenty of smart people in the world we could devise smart solutions to a lot of problems, creating a better global society, but those individuals are mostly powerless in the face of established authority, greed, the short-sightedness of the average human, etc etc. I think a lot of the problems we quibble about on this forum are just as short-sighted. None of it is going to matter once we're at each others throats for resources. Imagine black passengers fighting their way to the front of a bus only to discover that the driver was so busy holding them back that he paid no attention to where he was going and now they're all flying off a cliff.

So, I personally have given up hope for humanity* and, in fact, I'm dedicating the rest of my life to accelerating our demise. I want to see the shit hit the fan within my lifetime. I want to see the equivalent of a zombie apocalypse (hopefully someone will successfully engineer this in the coming decades).

Basically, not only do I see the human enterprise as doomed (of course it is), but I want it to be doomed, and I want the privilege of seeing how the world reacts when the reality of that doom is obvious and undeniable and rapidly accelerating in effect.

What do you think?

* Hope for what? Living efficiently and sustainably so that we can develop our technology to the point of being able to travel to other stars/galaxies/???, making contact with other alien species as intelligent as us? Yeah, keep dreaming you nerds.

wetback Space Invaders Champion Fitz's Avatar
    Type
    INFJ
    I see no reason to attempt any efforts to save this lot. Let it burn. They've earned it.

Type
    INFP
    Quote Originally Posted by Neville View Post
    They've We've earned it.
    Fixed.

Type
    INFJ
    Quote Originally Posted by notdavidlynch View Post
    Fixed.
    I don't think you can equally distribute culpability for earth's current calamitous situation. But it's nice that you're trying to be fair. I appreciate it.

Type
    INFP
    We're sitting on the internet and not lighting molotovs. We're a part of the problem.

Type
    INFJ
    Quote Originally Posted by notdavidlynch View Post
    We're sitting on the internet and not lighting molotovs. We're a part of the problem.

And what exactly would that achieve? Besides an increase in pollution.

Type
    INFP
    An increase in chaos and societal instability. Perhaps more if done in a strategic manner, i.e. burning down/blowing up things/people that actually matter. General rioting, for instance, is kinda dumb, although I still approve in spirit.

For example, travel to New York, make some molotovs, and toss them at someone like David Koch (or any number of other billionaires) when they're getting in or out of their chauffeured vehicles. Their personal wealth will be dissolved amongst a larger group of people when they die. Not quite full income redistribution, but a more realistic alternative.

*I'm sure the NSA has me flagged now.*

Type
    INFJ
    it was nice knowing you.

Persona Oblongata OrionzRevenge's Avatar
    Type
    INtP
    I wasn't too much older than you two guys when I decided to fuck-off in college because Andropov and Regan were about to unleash the dogs and inherit the whirlwind.

That was 30 years ago.

I could have been a contender.
    ----------------------------------------------------------

Here is an exchange from elsewhere today.

Quote Originally Posted by A Dummy
    It doesn't matter what the United States does in reducing carbon emissions. China's carbon emissions are growing at such a rate that we could just shut down the entire economy in the United States and carbon emissions would still be higher in a couple of years than they are now.

So why should be gut our economy on the basis of questionable science that is far from conclusive..........especially after one of the coldest winters on record?
    Quote Originally Posted by OrionzRevenge
    Firstly, Global warming has a lot of Global weirding that goes with it, and your POV is US-centric. Fact is, GLOBALLY, it was one of the warmest winters on record.

Secondly, when we look at green technology, Solar Photovoltaic and even Synthetic Photosynthesis are sisters of our IT technology, and like Moore's law of computers, SPV has Swanson's law that shows a persistent tend that effectively translates to a halving of cost per watt every 3 years.

Thus, SPV is on the cusp of being cost comparable now, and in just a few years it will be cost sexy.

Unlike the false promise made in the 1950s (and still being made today) that fusion is just around the corner, we have multiple recipes for SPV chemistry and a high confidence these favorable cost advantages will be realized.

If the westerners would commit to green technology and shun non-green imports (passively and perhaps even actively by tariff), the effect on exporter nations will be like Japan footing the bill for automation in the 70s.

By moving ahead with SPV research and deployment, we also place ourselves in a position to export this technology abroad.
    Humanity is inherently greedy and self-serving, but find solutions that exploit human nature.

I said this before. Don't bet against humanity because you may find yourself down the road looking stupid,
    and if you're right, there'll be no one there to pat you on the back.

Type
    INTj
    The world isn't going to fall apart during my lifespan so why should I care? There is nothing I can do to change the climate so I'm just going to continue on with my hedonistic ventures.