Thread: Ultra Realistic Virtual Reality Enviroment

Type
    INTj

Ultra Realistic Virtual Reality Enviroment

I'm taking a few weeks off from work and taking a vacation, I need to unwind since the past six months have been work and school nonstop. Now I have free time and enough money to pursue my passions for at-least a month or so.

I ordered a 1080p dev kit from Oculus and now I'm going to start working on building an extremely realistic virtual environment. This will include a server motherboard loaded with high end graphic cards for realtime physics simulations, alongside textured details which I hope will be indistinguishable from reality. I'm going to start playing around with blender and see how long it will take to make a basic room...

After this I'll start working on building active electrodes in order to pick up signals from the parietal and occipital lobes to detect intended movement. This has been achieved by several researchers for prosthetic limb ambulation, however I wish to apply this to virtual reality. Each electrode channel will be equivocal to a degree of freedom, moving forward, backward, left, right... etc. The algorithms will be difficult to program, but not insurmountable. Latency will be a problem, but an electrical design company owes me a favor so they might help out.

I'm announcing this because I want this to be an open source project, if anyone wishes to contribute I would love to collaborate. I also want to be help accountable for my project, and I've read that telling people about goals helps one to follow through. I plan on updating this thread only when a significant milestone has been achieved.

Imagine being able to instantly be in a completely different environment, without awkward keyboard controls, guiding your avatar naturally with thought.

Type
    INTP
    Cool shit.

I was talking with the hubby of a woman friend recently; he did his master's thesis -- in '94 -- on standardizing gestures for controlling virtual reality systems.

In '96 I audited a class named `Electrophysiology of the Mind' which dealt with ERPs (EG Evoked Response Potentials).
    There was a lab in which test subjects had electrode sensors applied to their scalp to measure microvolt-level signals.
    Since then ERP technology has been blended with functional MRI so that not only WHEN, but WHERE, can be better determined.

Not that you asked, but I think many attempts at VR have failed because of misplaced priorities.
    Lag is more important than photo-realism; if someone gets a head ache from using a system they'll stop using it.
    Thus the overarching goal should be to use/employ as much realism as one can within the head-ache-free latency/lag interval for a given subject.

Too many fools have been distracted by polygons-per-second gaming engines irrespective of the lag/latency issue.

I have an HTC EVO V with which I capture 3D video.
    I used it to capture a sample video of the dude who did the masters thesis on VR user interface issues.
    When I showed it to him via the autostereo display of the HTC EVO -- after he had mentioned that the two cameras were recording data which could be used to generate a 3D picture -- he got a chance to SEE a video image requiring NO construction whatsoever, just a replay via an autostereo display which found HIS BRAIN as the `device' which assembled the pairs of captured images into a 3D picture.

Cool stuff, prometheus.
    Best of luck with your experiments and development activities.