Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Soylent

Type
    xxxx
    INTPx Award Winner

Soylent

Soylent is an open sourced food substitute intended to supply all of a human body's daily nutritional needs, made from maltodextrin, rice protein, oat flour, canola oil, fish oil, and raw chemical powders.
    Soylent was created by software engineer Rob Rhinehart; it is intended to supply all the nutrients needed by the human body without the time, money, and effort that usually goes into preparing food.

Has anyone tried it? Does anyone want to try it?

If you're from the US (-_-) then you can order it here:
    http://soylent.me/

If you're from any other sane part of the world then there's DIY soylent recipes online:
    http://diy.soylent.me/

Here is a site that is critical of soylent:
    http://examine.com/blog/soylent-is-made-from-hype/

apparently it makes you fart a lot.
    I fucking hate the cold! - Wim Hof

Check out my art. https://www.instagram.com/karililt/

Type
    INTP
    I sat through a presentation somebody gave at an open source seminar a few weeks ago. It sounded like an interesting concept. It seems like the real benefit is being able to rigidly control your own nutritional intake. I wouldn't mind trying it sometime but right now I don't have the time and money to invest - the stuff at the US website is significantly more expensive than what I normally eat(they're seriously trying to tout $4 for 500 calories as economically efficient?), and if I wanted to make my own(which I would anyway - the stuff they sell is way too high in carbohydrate and low in protein) then there's the time necessary to research and purchase the separate ingredients and mix them together. I also wouldn't see the point of doing it unless I was going to substitute it for all of my meals.

Still, it seems like a really interesting concept that I'd love to see developed more and would like to try at some point.

wetback Space Invaders Champion Fitz's Avatar
    Type
    INFJ
    I'll pass. I don't hate myself that much, yet.

Type
    IXTP
    This reminds me of this one guy who tried to eat nothing but Monkey food for a week. Supposedly monkey food contains all the nutrients that a monkey or great ape needs.

http://www.weightlossforall.com/monk...ou-slay-me.htm

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by pathogenetic_peripatetic View Post
    ...It seems like the real benefit is being able to rigidly control your own nutritional intake...
    The optimum diet for humans is still unknown (if it's even knowable).

OTOH, despite all the diverse opinions, strongly held, by so many "experts," the extreme diversity of diets that have allowed different cultures to survive may be evidence that there is no such thing as a "perfect diet." We're probably just efficient digestion machines that make the best of whatever we stuff down our gullets (including junk food), regardless of the long-term health consequences.

I do agree that this "stuff they sell is way too high in carbohydrate and low in protein"--particularly if you're trying to grow and maintain muscle mass.

Type
    INtP
    Enjoying tasty food is one of life's simple pleasures; I would try Soylent just to see what it's all about, but I doubt it's something I could maintain long-term.

I'm reminded of this:

Nutraloaf, aka Prison Loaf.

Nutraloaf, a thick orange lump of spite with the density and taste of a dumbbell, could only be the object of Beelzebub’s culinary desires. Packed with protein, fat, carbohydrates, and 1,110 calories, Nutraloaf contains everything from carrots and cabbage to kidney beans and potatoes, plus shadowy ingredients such as “dairy blend” and “mechanically separated poultry.” You purée everything into a paste, shape it into a loaf, and bake it for 50 to 70 minutes at 375 degrees. Eat two a day and, boom, all your daily nutrients, right there. If you want the recipe, ask me.
    http://www.chicagomag.com/Chicago-Ma...aving-Inmates/
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nutraloaf

Sadistic.
    Last edited by Lurker; 05-20-2014 at 02:08 PM.

Type
    INTP
    It looks appallingly awful. Sort of like brown slime. And I'm sure it tastes that way.

I suppose I'd eat it out of necessity in some sort of semi post-apocalyptic world where global warming or whatnot has seriously impacted the food supply. And at that point, they might as well grind up people in there too. I can't really see myself fussing over exactly what's in my "brown slime" other than knowing it's nutritionally complete.

Banned
    Type
    INTP
    I think the name is a major marketing fail.

That being said, there are many times where I don't wish to spend a lot of effort acquiring food, and merely want to satisfy my bodily needs. Something like that could work if it doesn't taste too terrible.

Type
    INTP
    The problem with that is nutritional intake has to be adjusted to your activities and body type. The diet I eat when I'm doing long distance hiking is very different from my usual day-to-day diet which is very different from what I eat when I'm in the weight-gaining phase of triathlon training. Also, I'm a rather athletic endomorph. I can't eat what my sedentary ectomorph friend eats. Let's not forget age plays a factor, too. I can't eat what I did at 19, and I doubt I'll be eating what I eat now when I'm 72. Bodies and lifestyles are too different for there to be a one-size-fits-all nutrition plan.

Also, don't you (you in general, not anyone specific) enjoy eating good food? Eating well is one of the more sublime pleasures in life, a reward for inhabiting these rather troublesome bodies. I understand it takes time/effort/money to sit down to a wonderful meal but I'd still hate to give all that up.
    Yes, I smell like a horse. No, I don't consider that a problem.

Type
    INTP
    I hate the idea because it deviates too much from a "natural" diet, but I wouldn't mind adding a couple of spoons to my morning smoothie.