Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tony Robbins and other life coaches....

Married Mouth-breather JohnClay's Avatar
    Type
    INTP

Tony Robbins and other life coaches....

About Tony Robbins:
    http://www.awaken.com/2013/08/playbo...-tony-robbins/
    .....A self-made man who never went to college, Robbins was raised in a violent household by a volatile mother addicted to prescription drugs and alcohol. After she kicked him out of the house when he was 17, he worked as a door-to-door repairman. By the age of 24 he was a millionaire, trading in his Volkswagen for a Rolls-Royce........
    http://www.celebritynetworth.com/ric...ins-net-worth/
    ....estimated net worth of $480 million....
    I've been to a seminar with a guy who was highly influenced by Tony Robbins - there even was firewalking.

During the seminar we had to imagine how our lives would turn out if we kept on making the same mistakes (perhaps another word was used) for the next few years. At the time I liked the Unabomber's Manifesto and thought I might end up in jail. I thought that that wasn't so bad.

I think it caused me to get out of my depression and be more positive and outgoing.

I've read a lot of self-help books but I can't really remember if I've watched/listened to much of Tony Robbins's materials.

What about everyone else - have you tried life coach materials or been to a seminar?

Type
    INTP
    Read Quiet: The Power of Introverts - By Susan Cain for a perspective on Robbins.

Type
    INTj
    Instead of trying some bullshit "life coach" I started a business and made it on my own.

Fuck Tony Robbins, his services are useless to people that have the capacity to be successful.
    Last edited by Perdix; 05-29-2014 at 09:40 PM.

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by prometheus View Post
    ....Fuck Tony Robbins, his services are useless to people that have the capacity to be successful.
    Then why did the following use him?

"Bill Clinton sought his advice as president. Serena Williams relied on him to avoid on-court meltdowns. Princess Diana bared her soul to him in Kensington Palace. Hugh Jackman, Leonardo DiCaprio, Anthony Hopkins, Quincy Jones, Andre Agassi, Donna Karan and Greg Norman have all turned to him."

Type
    INTP
    A friend of mine is a life coach. I respect his approach and his sincerity, but even through his earnest descriptions of the field, I can't quite stomach the notion of life coaching. As far as I'm concerned, people who partake of life coaching are failures just finding new, more pleasant ways to fail. Like some sort of contrived, structured wishful thinking system. I have a "wake up" slap upside the head ready for such people.

I think life coaches themselves are -- at best -- misguided but well-meant. Otherwise, they taper into predatory, manipulative bottom-feeders worthy of nothing but even more scorn and censure than those self-weakened enough to wind up caught in their thrall.

Type
    INTj
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnClay View Post

"Bill Clinton sought his advice as president. Serena Williams relied on him to avoid on-court meltdowns. Princess Diana bared her soul to him in Kensington Palace. Hugh Jackman, Leonardo DiCaprio, Anthony Hopkins, Quincy Jones, Andre Agassi, Donna Karan and Greg Norman have all turned to him."
    PR. If I ever met him and he tried to solicit a 5k getaway where I can get to know my inner "me", I would propose a counteroffer consisting of him shoving his thumb up his ass.

I know entrepreneurs that have been "helped" by him, I think they are weak minded cowards unwilling to be independent, as they need some "father figure".

If you want to waste your own money, go ahead. I personally would recommend allocating it as operating capital and taking the plunge into owning a business as fast as possible, and as efficiently as possible.

Type
    ENTP
    I see Tony Robbins as a caricature, more than anything - but that's probably just because he's been so successful, he's the archetype of the "Tony Robbins type character" that gets lampooned constantly. He is also the foundation of virtually all PUA.

The basic sales pitch of Tony Robbins is ubermensch. Transcendence beyond human failing.

If you're looking for good life lessons from a charismatic speaker, I prefer Jim Rohn. I had the pleasure of seeing him speak, while that was still possible. Even as a shriveled up little old man, I was inspired.
    We didn't land on Plymouth Rock. Plymouth Rock landed on us.

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by prometheus View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnClay

PR.
    What do you mean? PR for who?

If I ever met him and he tried to solicit a 5k getaway where I can get to know my inner "me", I would propose a counteroffer consisting of him shoving his thumb up his ass.
    BTW he said: "They can vote with their feet and get a full refund."

I know entrepreneurs that have been "helped" by him, I think they are weak minded cowards unwilling to be independent, as they need some "father figure".
    (about people who lose their jobs) "....find a role model, someone who has turned their life around..." What's so bad about not being independent? I thought results are what really matters.

If you want to waste your own money, go ahead.
    I was planning on reading and watching his material - for free.

I personally would recommend allocating it as operating capital and taking the plunge into owning a business as fast as possible, and as efficiently as possible.
    Like I quoted in the opening post, he was a millionaire by the age of 24 even though he had very humble beginnings and now he's worth $480 million. I think it would be worth trying to learn a few tips off of him rather than your approach that seems to involve just trying to own a business and being indepedent. A large number of first businesses fail.

Type
    INTP
    BTW Tony Robbins uses NLP and hypnosis. If you think that is worthless then just remember his past clients and his current wealth.

Type
    INTP
    An interesting quote from that very long interview:
    ....PLAYBOY: Among those you’ve met or coached, give us some snapshot impressions. For example, Mother Teresa.

ROBBINS: I asked her, “What really excites you, lights you up?” Kind of a bizarre question, right? She giggled, looked directly at me and said, “Seeing a person die with a smile on their face.” I was stunned. But to her, seeing the end of suffering is what she lived for....
    He then talks about meeting Nelson Mandela, Princess Diana, Bill Clinton and Obama.