Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Homemade Arduino-powered lucid dreaming goggles!

Type
    INTP

Homemade Arduino-powered lucid dreaming goggles!

This was my first Arduino project. Light is supposedly the #1 most effective way to externally induce a lucid dream.

Inside are two blue LEDs

(Red is supposed to be best but RadioShack was sold out :3). Once you turn it on it waits an hour and then every ten minutes it turns on the LEDs for 7 seconds.

It got me lucid last night on the first try. I dreamt I was in a tree with a friend and the ground suddenly turned into a big blue ocean, and I knew what had caused it. (This kind of stuff only works if you're well practiced in LDing though so don't go running off and building one and asking me why it doesn't work if you've never had a lucid dream before).

I just ordered some RGB LEDs (each one can be made to shine any color) and next I'm going to make me some sensory deprivation ball tripping goggles. They will have 4 LEDs, two per eye, and each one will, at random times, gradually brighten to a random color and then gradually fade away. The time it takes to fade in and out will shorten the longer you wear them. Wear those and listen to white noise for half an hour and who knows what will happen.

Tawaci ki a Gnaska ki Osito Polar's Avatar
    Type
    INTP
    Oh, very cool. I like playing with Arduinos. I think Mitch Altman of Noisebridge fame markets lucid dreaming goggles vaguely similar to these.
    "I don't have psychological problems." --Madrigal

"When you write about shooting Polemarch in the head, that's more like a first-person view, like you're there looking down the sight of the gun." --Utisz

David Wong, regarding Chicago
    Six centuries ago, the pre-Colombian natives who settled here named this region with a word which in their language means "the Mouth of Shadow". Later, the Iroquois who showed up and inexplicably slaughtered every man, woman and child renamed it "Seriously, Fuck that Place". When French explorer Jacques Marquette passed through the area he marked his map with a drawing of a brownish blob emerging from between the Devil's buttocks.

Type
    IXTP
    LOL, Noisebridge. Interesting place, but you have to watch out for the homeless people that never leave, random needles laying around, piss jars, and other assorted crazies.

There's a tumblr page called, "Shit Noisebridge says". It's a collection of excerpts from their mailing list. It's some pretty funny stuff.

"NO SHITTING ON FLOOR" signs to solve problems

I think the issues in this thread (feces and urine in the shop, and bottles of urine being left elsewhere) are ideal examples of behavior that is unlikely to be prevented by posting signs with rules or guidelines. Can anyone imagine someone believing it was ok to do these things, but then, upon seeing a sign declaring that this is unacceptable behavior, realizing the error of their ways? I certainly can’t.
    Homes for Homeless

> Since I don’t visit NB that often, I kind of wondered if transients
    > just use NB as a 2nd home.

I think you are really selling NB short here.

Many of them use NB as their first home.
    Climbing

"I heard you were climbing up the wall outside the building to get into noisebridge. This is unexcellent. Please do not do it again."
    I definitely have found, in my time at noisebridge:
    -used dental dam
    -goth kids doing nitrous (a Sunday night in the library many years ago)
    -non-rodent feces (two different occasions)
    -sleeping people
    -tweaker people
    -rob2.0 sacked out on the roof with a lady friend
    -a belgian too drunk to do anything but scat sing and sleep in the darkroom
    Among other things.

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    Wow, that is excellent, Aurast. I just want to add for anyone that's interested in lucid dreaming that I don't think it's impossible for anybody, even for those people who claim they "don't dream". The thing is that when you're not relying on anything you're consuming or on special gadgets, it just takes a lot of discipline. The discipline is mainly in remembering to follow a few simple rules every day, and it's easy to get distracted despite how simple they are (reality checks, for example).

I've kind of been wanting to try it again lately. I usually set up an experiment, a mission I have to achieve in the dream. Mostly, I've tried to discover whether there are non-verbal messages we get from other people that can be "discovered" in lucid dreams, by digging in the knowledge accumulated by the unconscious. In other words, telepathy, but let's not call it that. The game I have tried numerous times is to have a secret word only I know, and have my experiment partner also have a secret word. Both of us attempt lucid dreaming to meet at a specific point and tell each other our words, then report back. Mixed results, but really interesting ones. No, I never did discover my partners' secret words (or vice versa), though.

Another experiment with a coworker was for her to hide something at her house - literally - and I'd visit the place in a dream and see what it was. I told her what I had found. It wasn't what she had hidden, but it was actually an item that was there.

Another experiment was trying to meet Jesus. I ended up in a desert, where I encountered a black man. I thought he was distracting me from finding Jesus, but I decided to have sex with him. Or at least we tried, but he was too big so he didn't fit. Maybe he was Jesus. I'm not even gonna analyze that beyond the fact that I've probably watched Madonna's "Like A Prayer" a few too many times.
    Everything under heaven is in utter chaos; the situation is excellent. - Mao

Type
    INTx
    Stephen LaBerge has done some work is this area and produced a Lucid Dream Induction Device. It senses REM and how it responds is programmable. It also records the time and intensity of REM activity. The tech used is fairly crude so a modern version would be nice.
    "Do not try to satisfy your vanity by teaching a great many things. Awake their curiosity. It is enough to open their minds, do not overload them. Put there just a spark. If there is some good inflammable stuff, it will catch fire." -- Anatole France

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Dakkar View Post
    Stephen LaBerge has done some work is this area and produced a Lucid Dream Induction Device. It senses REM and how it responds is programmable. It also records the time and intensity of REM activity. The tech used is fairly crude so a modern version would be nice.
    LaBerge's authority is that upon which I have it that light is the best way to externally induce an LD. Is that a valid sentence structure?

I don't think the sensing REM bit is really necessary. Just trigger the cues often enough, every 5 or ten minutes, and you'll catch yourself in REM plenty often.

Tawaci ki a Gnaska ki Osito Polar's Avatar
    Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkovChain View Post
    LOL, Noisebridge. Interesting place, but you have to watch out for the homeless people that never leave, random needles laying around, piss jars, and other assorted crazies.

There's a tumblr page called, "Shit Noisebridge says". It's a collection of excerpts from their mailing list. It's some pretty funny stuff.
    Oh, I know. Noisebridge has a definite "this is what not to do" reputation in local hackerspace circles. Don't get me wrong, Mitch (the space's founder) is an amazing and inspirational person but the (lack of) governance at the place combined with its location cause a lot of its spectacular problems.
    "I don't have psychological problems." --Madrigal

"When you write about shooting Polemarch in the head, that's more like a first-person view, like you're there looking down the sight of the gun." --Utisz

David Wong, regarding Chicago
    Six centuries ago, the pre-Colombian natives who settled here named this region with a word which in their language means "the Mouth of Shadow". Later, the Iroquois who showed up and inexplicably slaughtered every man, woman and child renamed it "Seriously, Fuck that Place". When French explorer Jacques Marquette passed through the area he marked his map with a drawing of a brownish blob emerging from between the Devil's buttocks.

Type
    iNtP
    I find it interesting how many people within the intp forum have interest in lucid dreaming, as do i. i have experienced the whole inception (movie) idea of awakening from a lucid dream (or thinking i had) and then waking up from that also. it was not a particularly nice dream, however i cannot remember the particulars exactly, i was glad to wake up. i have also had another lucid dream where a not-too-nice-person was trying to convince me i was not dreaming by threatening me.

What i have learned mostly is, is to not try and physically do anything within the dream, else my body tries to move and i wake up. instead, i just imagine what i want the outcome to be and it happens. must say tho, it is very hard to break a habit of physical movement to do things after a life long habit of it!

Very impressed with the glasses to btw, inspired actually
    Just look at the blue sky

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by mhc View Post
    What i have learned mostly is, is to not try and physically do anything within the dream, else my body tries to move and i wake up. instead, i just imagine what i want the outcome to be and it happens. must say tho, it is very hard to break a habit of physical movement to do things after a life long habit of it!
    Just do one physical movement and you can do all the rest. Look at the palm of your hand, look at the lines. Then report back.
    Everything under heaven is in utter chaos; the situation is excellent. - Mao

Type
    INTP
    Thoughts of sex are the bane of my dreams. One thought of it and the world goes to black, for I am awake and staring into the backs of my eyelids.