Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Are you bothered by living alone?

Type
    eNTP

Are you bothered by living alone?

This is inspired by the "Bad Roommates" thread.

Are you bothered by living alone? What bothers you about it? What are the advantages you see in living alone or not living alone? If you could afford to live at least as comfortably as you are presently, but without roommates, would you?

If you like living alone, how much isolation of your domicile is sufficient? For clarity: is it enough to have a private room? A private apartment? A private townhouse/condo, a private house? Or would you prefer to have a private home that was itself, rather private?
    I'm suspicious of people who say they'll die for a flag but won't wear a mask for their neighbor.

Type
    INTP
    I complain about my roommate (27 y/o sister), but when she's away for a couple of days I feel kind of lonely. I never lived alone and it's not a big desire or anything.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hephaestus View Post
    Heh. We've been here years now.

Mens bona regnum possidet ferrus's Avatar
    Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Hephaestus View Post
    This is inspired by the "Bad Roommates" thread.

Are you bothered by living alone? What bothers you about it? What are the advantages you see in living alone or not living alone? If you could afford to live at least as comfortably as you are presently, but without roommates, would you?

If you like living alone, how much isolation of your domicile is sufficient? For clarity: is it enough to have a private room? A private apartment? A private townhouse/condo, a private house? Or would you prefer to have a private home that was itself, rather private?
    I suppose I am about to find out as of today.
    Die Logik ist keine Lehre, sondern ein Spiegelbild der Welt. Die Logik ist transcendental. - Wittgenstein

Type
    INTP
    I suppose I essentially lived alone when I was in halls at uni. I didn't really like it. As misanthropic as I sometimes think I am, I do get lonely. Also the desire to use my voice means that I sing/talk to myself which made me feel like I was going slightly crazy.

Persona Oblongata OrionzRevenge's Avatar
    Type
    INtP
    I'm extremely content living alone. After getting past the point of wanting a relationship, I find very little reason to value intimate habitation with others.

I would be less of a slob, but then who would I be less of a slob for? Me? No. Molding my behavior to fit the needs of others has no appeal for me.

Type
    INtP
    I lived alone for five years. While it was nice to have the freedom, I was lonelier during this period. This was probably due more to the circumstances going on (moving away from my college area and returning to a hometown where those friends there had also left), rather than the living arrangement itself.

I had been used to having friends as my roommates, which was an awesome situation. It was an ideal mix of private/social time for me since we were all comfortable enough to tell each other if one of us needed space or quiet. One of my friends was an awesome cook, which didn't hurt. Being a P, it was nice having people around to spontaneously suggest crazy things to do---basically a social life with not a lot of effort or planning on my end.

Living with an S/O or friends > living alone > living with roommates you don't have any relationship with

Type
    INTP
    I'm not bothered by it. I need a house and a yard, a buffer zone between me and other people (and their noise) so I can recharge as an introvert. Apartments are soul-killers. They're bad for human beings in general and particularly bad for me.

I dislike being in other peoples' homes, let alone living in them. I'm never really comfortable. You have to constantly think about how they like things, did I put that back in the right place, etc. Too much of an energy drain and I'm too absent-minded to remember all the little details about how someone else lives.

I like coming home and finding everything as I left it.

Also, I'm usually cleaner and more minimalist than most people. I cannot function in clutter and being the cleanest person in a household is never a good situation. Their dirt becomes a burden to me (and another energy drain).

People around here have a gawd-awful sense of taste, too. Horrible southwest crap. Even the nicest homes are contaminated.

I would like a pet, though.
    Yes, I smell like a horse. No, I don't consider that a problem.

Mens bona regnum possidet ferrus's Avatar
    Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by OrionzRevenge View Post
    I'm extremely content living alone. After getting past the point of wanting a relationship, I find very little reason to value intimate habitation with others.

I would be less of a slob, but then who would I be less of a slob for? Me? No. Molding my behavior to fit the needs of others has no appeal for me.
    Yes, I think that's kind of where I am heading.
    Die Logik ist keine Lehre, sondern ein Spiegelbild der Welt. Die Logik ist transcendental. - Wittgenstein

Type
    iNTP
    tendentially prefer living alone, but alas, the entertainment value...right now the red-haired fire dragon has managed to seriously antagonize the mighty brazilian-dragon-landlady by threatening to eat her grand-children...
    generally contrast provides a good opportunity to learn and grow
    Fuck Magic

Type
    ENTP
    I vastly prefer living alone. I moved in with my girlfriend for three weeks last year (just as a temporary measure, while selling my condo) and it was tolerable. I was starting to get used to it. But the feeling was like: not being able to escape, or retreat somewhere safe. Having no safe space - that's it. It was exhausting.
    We didn't land on Plymouth Rock. Plymouth Rock landed on us.