Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Moncton Shootings

Type
    INTP

Moncton Shootings

I live in Canada. It's very rare for people to go nuts shooting people at random with guns for no reason. The very few occasions where its happened in the past the people who died all knew the killer. When I first heard this morning that 3 police officers were dead and 2 wounded after a gunman went on a rampage driven by his hate for the police I was in shock. Moncton is not far from where I live and I've worked there on many occasions and got to meet a lot of really great officers there who contributed their time to causes I was working on. It really is one of the friendliest cities in Canada and that includes their law enforcement. When they pulled me over speeding there, not only didn't I get a ticket but they showed me how to use the cruise control on the rental I was driving so I wouldn't be pulled over again.

The gunman is still on the lose and many officers are putting their lives at risk trying to catch him. At first I was ok but after hearing some people interviewed and the pain in their voices I'm shaking and in tears over it. This is the first time anything like this has ever happened in our region of the country. My reaction to it surprises me because I'm not typically emotional over these things. We don't live in a military state. Sure a lot of cops can be assholes but police brutality is even rare here.

I think this event is going to change us. We aren't going to be the same after this. In the US this problem seems to be escalating so is this what we have to look forward to now? Why are people going on these rampages?

Tawaci ki a Gnaska ki Osito Polar's Avatar
    Type
    INTP
    Holy shit. In Moncton?

Whereabouts do you live, if I may ask? For a while I was staying with family in Bouctouche. I traveled over to P.E.I. for a while as well, but I've never been brave enough to spend a winter out that way.

My general impressions of the people there are that they're so open, so friendly and wonderful. I sincerely hope that you are wrong about this changing the character of the area. It's always been a place very dear to my heart.
    "I don't have psychological problems." --Madrigal

"When you write about shooting Polemarch in the head, that's more like a first-person view, like you're there looking down the sight of the gun." --Utisz

David Wong, regarding Chicago
    Six centuries ago, the pre-Colombian natives who settled here named this region with a word which in their language means "the Mouth of Shadow". Later, the Iroquois who showed up and inexplicably slaughtered every man, woman and child renamed it "Seriously, Fuck that Place". When French explorer Jacques Marquette passed through the area he marked his map with a drawing of a brownish blob emerging from between the Devil's buttocks.

Type
    INFP
    My first thought was that it is no coincidence this is happening so soon after the Santa Barbara shooting and that he looks like a Rambo wannabe. I'm way on the other side of the country though, its easy to be unaffected here.

Well, my honest first thought was Moncton?! Really?

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Osito Polar View Post
    Holy shit. In Moncton?

Whereabouts do you live, if I may ask? For a while I was staying with family in Bouctouche. I traveled over to P.E.I. for a while as well, but I've never been brave enough to spend a winter out that way.

My general impressions of the people there are that they're so open, so friendly and wonderful. I sincerely hope that you are wrong about this changing the character of the area. It's always been a place very dear to my heart.
    I'm in Halifax. About 2 hours away but we often do projects regionally here in the Maritimes and Moncton is central location for us all to do business in. People there are so nice too so people really like going there. The winters do suck in New Brunswick, very dif climate than Halifax.

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Vison View Post
    My first thought was that it is no coincidence this is happening so soon after the Santa Barbara shooting and that he looks like a Rambo wannabe. I'm way on the other side of the country though, its easy to be unaffected here.
    Possibly. From what I have heard, this guy had a facebook page with pictures of himself with guns and a general hate on for cops. So I think his particular Rambo style crazy has probably been brewing for a while (much like the Santa Barbara guy was brewing up his anti-roomie, anti-women crazy) - but it wouldn't surprise me if reading about a fellow crazy having his 'day of retribution' might have been a trigger for him to get busy with his own.

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Senseye View Post
    Possibly. From what I have heard, this guy had a facebook page with pictures of himself with guns and a general hate on for cops. So I think his particular Rambo style crazy has probably been brewing for a while (much like the Santa Barbara guy was brewing up his anti-roomie, anti-women crazy) - but it wouldn't surprise me if reading about a fellow crazy having his 'day of retribution' might have been a trigger for him to get busy with his own.
    Yeah his facebook page is https://www.facebook.com/justin.bourque.5682. That's where we all kind of figured out his motive. Someone I know has been kind of monitoring the page today and noticed his "friends" have been dropping like flies.

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by INTP_Polly View Post
    Yeah his facebook page is https://www.facebook.com/justin.bourque.5682. That's where we all kind of figured out his motive. Someone I know has been kind of monitoring the page today and noticed his "friends" have been dropping like flies.
    When I first read this, I wondered if you meant he was killing people who were his friends on Facebook, which made a twisted sort of sense until I checked.

Regarding what you said, SensEye, I do think that the motivation for a lot of these incidents is infamy. To someone who feels frustrated, powerless, insecure in their masculinity, etc. there must be an appeal to being known by everyone for being a murderer. I'm sure it does inspire copycats whenever someone does something like this and it gets plastered all over the media.

"When you write about shooting Polemarch in the head, that's more like a first-person view, like you're there looking down the sight of the gun." --Utisz

Six centuries ago, the pre-Colombian natives who settled here named this region with a word which in their language means "the Mouth of Shadow". Later, the Iroquois who showed up and inexplicably slaughtered every man, woman and child renamed it "Seriously, Fuck that Place". When French explorer Jacques Marquette passed through the area he marked his map with a drawing of a brownish blob emerging from between the Devil's buttocks.

Type
    INTP
    Yesterday I read a blog post arguing that there would be copycats even if the mass media didn't cover their crimes, because cop haters, MRAs, etc. have their own private communities on the Internet that discuss them. "On the Internet, everyone will be famous to 15 people."
    Your gardening sucks and your avocados ain't fruitin'. -- Sappho the Maestro

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by C.J.Woolf View Post
    Yesterday I read a blog post arguing that there would be copycats even if the mass media didn't cover their crimes, because cop haters, MRAs, etc. have their own private communities on the Internet that discuss them. "On the Internet, everyone will be famous to 15 people."
    I doubt the adulation of people in those outlets has anywhere near the appeal of being a mainstream media celebrity. Think fast -- name two school shooters who have been dead now for about 15 years.

Type
    INFP
    Quote Originally Posted by Senseye View Post
    Aye, that was what I was figuring. A spark on a waiting oil barrel.