Page 64 of 66 FirstFirst ... 14546263646566 LastLast

Thread: Historical Fragments

Type
    INTP
    Vertus Wellborn Hardiman (March 9, 1922 – June 1, 2007) was a victim of a US government human radiation experiment at the age of five that left him with a painful skull deformity that forced him to cover his head for 80 years.

Apparently he must have been compensated by the government, because he donated $8 million dollars upon his death to a local church and education fund.

Type
    INTP

Type
    INTP
    The Ancient Persian Torture Method That Killed Victims With Milk And Honey

Scaphism

Not sure if the Promised Land could actually be referring to Persia, or if the subject of milk and honey in ancient society just coincided as a form of divine punishment in the context of torture, dying from things regarded with reverence; which in this context it might suggest someone was cursed, and permitted to die in such a way because "God" did not spare them from the inevitable death.

It seems kind of evil that a boat is used in metaphor throughout ancient society as a symbol of "crossing over" and traveling.

Type
    INTP
    Boy abducted by Geronimo (read the description)

I find it a bit surprising that Geronimo was compelled to become a guerilla warfare renegade after discovering his family murdered, much as he did to this boy's brother and likely would have done the same for the rest of his family had they been at the farm. I suppose killing him was a tactic to prevent retaliation because they had fully intended to take out anyone that would potentially pose a threat to them. It was surprisingly common for them to take captors, and some would willingly join the native Americans to live with them. Perhaps part of the desire to remain with the natives was a bit like Stockholm Syndrome?

Wild West Photos

Not to forget that Geronimo made an appeal to Teddy Roosevelt to be released after the term of captivity had lapsed, and apparently after he died his skull was believed to be in possession of the Skull and Bones society.

Dutchy (Apache scout) was persuaded to kill his father whom killed a white man, because a religious zealot convinced him he was saving his Father's soul by doing so?

It should also be mentioned, Geronimo was captured by Apache police that were in charge of the the San Carlos Apache Indian Reservation, and then released by the US Army in 1875, which only further elevated Geronimo's stature as a pest to the US Government as he would carry on his raids for 15 more years and further which caused the trusted Apache Chief and reservation Police to resign his post due to bungling incompetence from the U.S. Army, which would later culminate in someone dying while delivering Freight through the Apache reservation (which is where Dutchy was later accused and died in a brawl about a decade later, because he was apparently working with the Apaches and US Army as a Scout.)

British royalty dined on human flesh (but don't worry it was 300 years ago) (this is misleading; it's mostly viewed as a medicinal use.)

It went to some extreme levels with Elizabeth Bathory, and throughout history you find people that did absurd things like Delphine LaLaurie of New Orleans, who eerily resemble Elizabeth Bathory though without the intent absorbing some weird medicinal benefits from abusing people.

Historical UFO sightings
    Last edited by Catoptric; 05-21-2019 at 05:11 AM.

Type
    INTP
    Isn't it curious how the NYT has a running Tiananmen Square theme these days, going on and on about democracy in China, but just a month ago I don't remember seeing anything like this about what May Day meant to the United States.

"First, remove the beam out of your own eye, and then you can see clearly to remove the speck out of your brother’s eye."
    Quote Originally Posted by Hephaestus View Post
    Heh. We've been here years now.

Type
    InTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Madrigal View Post
    Isn't it curious how the NYT has a running Tiananmen Square theme these days, going on and on about democracy in China, but just a month ago I don't remember seeing anything like this about what May Day meant to the United States.

"First, remove the beam out of your own eye, and then you can see clearly to remove the speck out of your brother’s eye."
    "A new immortal appeared in front of you. Would you like preparations of inception?"

Type
    INTP
    JRR Tolkien’s son ‘sexually abused by one of father’s friends’

Author’s eldest child, a priest himself accused of abuse in 2001, talks of assault in recording made by his own victim

Lord of the Rings fans who settle down to watch the film Tolkien this week will be told the story of love and young friendships that later inspired the author to write his tales of Middle-earth. What the biopic won’t show, however, is the dark scandal of abuse that continues to haunt JRR Tolkien’s family more than 45 years after his death.

Last year the independent inquiry into child sexual abuse (IICSA) heard evidence of how the eldest son of The Hobbit’s author, Father John Tolkien, abused young boys during his time as a Catholic priest in Birmingham and Stoke-on-Trent.

Now it has emerged that the cleric said that he himself was abused as a boy, and that he was assaulted in the family home by at least one of his father’s learned Oxford friends.

In a tape-recording made by one of the priest’s chief accusers and heard by the Observer, a man said to be him is heard discussing his childhood during the 1920s. At the time, JRR Tolkien was professor of Anglo-Saxon at Oxford and a fellow of Pembroke College. His friends included CS Lewis, a fellow academic and author of the Narnia novels, and among his students was the poet WH Auden.

When the priest was asked if he had been abused himself as a child, he said: “When I was a boy I was constantly surrounded by my father and colleagues of my father. Almost without exception, his colleagues were academics and, you know, some of them were pretty strange fellows …. Often, people would stay the night at our house …. I often awoke in the morning to find someone sharing my bed. More often than not, it would be … well, I don’t intend to name names, just to say that this particular person who I loved dearly, not in a sexual way, you understand, this person would be fast asleep, huddled up next to me when I woke in the morning. Well, let’s say things had gone on in the night. I knew this. If you wake up with your pyjamas off and they were on when you went to sleep you would wonder, wouldn’t you?”

The recording was made in June 1994 by Christopher Carrie, a Birmingham man who told the IICSA that John Tolkien sexually assaulted him twice in 1956. He first made allegations in 2001 but the Crown Prosecution Service decided not to charge the priest in view of his health. He died in 2003. Before then, Carrie had tracked Tolkien down with a view to challenging him. Carrie died last year, but the recording he made of his conversation with Tolkien is in the hands of his family and its solicitor. Carrie received out-of-court compensation from the Catholic church.

Richard Scorer of Slater and Gordon solicitors, which has acted for victims of the priest, said: “Tolkien’s family name and consequent status in the Catholic community probably gave him even more power and he exploited it to the full.”

The Tolkien family declined to comment.
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.the...fathers-friend
    When tyranny becomes law
    Rebellion becomes duty.