Page 58 of 59 FirstFirst ... 84856575859 LastLast

Thread: Historical Fragments

Gassy ~ A 'torm is brew'n Catoptric's Avatar
    Type
    INTP
    Château de La Roche-Guyon

The present Château de La Roche-Guyon[1] was built in the 12th century, controlling a river crossing of the Seine, itself one of the routes to and from Normandy;[2] The Abbé Suger described its grim aspect: "At the summit of a steep promontory, dominating the bank of the great river Seine, rises a frightful castle without title to nobility, called La Roche. Invisible on the surface, it is hollowed out of a high cliff. The able hand of the builder has established in the mountainside, digging into the rock, an ample dwelling provided with a few miserable openings".[3] In the mid-13th century, a fortified manor house (the château-bas) was added below. Guy de La Roche fell at the Battle of Agincourt, and his widow was ousted from the Roche, after six months of siege, in 1419; she preferred to depart rather than accept Henry Plantagenet as her overlord. It came to the Liancourt family with the marriage of Roger de Plessis-Liancourt to the heiress Marie de La Roche; he was a childhood companion of Louis XIII, first gentleman of the Chambre du Roi, and was made a duke in 1643. He and his wife made great changes to the château-bas, opening windows in its structure and laying out the terrace to the east, partly cut into the mountain's steep slope.
    I was reading a pdf copy of a book with an account of 1790, whereby the author had been on a ship with a Duke of Liancourt (François Alexandre Frédéric, duc de la Rochefoucauld-Liancourt)

The book itself is typical of the titles of pre 20th century books, 'A narrative of the incidents attending the capture, detention, and ransom of Charles Johnston, of Botetourt County Virginia : who was made prisoner by the Indians, on the river Ohio, in the year 1790 : together with an interesting account of the fate of his companions, five in number, one of whom suffered at the stake : to which are added, sketches of Indian character and manners, with illustrative anecdotes' by Johnston, Charles, 1768-1833; Johnston, Peter, 1763-1831

Type
    INTx
    The British lead French resistances

You hide behind caveats and modifiers. - Lurker

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir Caveat View Post
    The British lead French resistances

That guy is great. I've become a fan.

Somehow he closely resembles my mental image of what it must be like to interact with Ferrus in real life.

Last edited by Roger Mexico; 06-24-2018 at 08:40 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ptah View Post
    No history, no exposition, no anecdote or argument changes the invariant: we are all human beings, and some humans are idiots.

Type
    intp
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Mexico View Post

This place is just down the road.

Type
    INTx
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Mexico View Post

And he's not just history and weapons. He's a cool dancer too. That's how I initially came across him.
    You hide behind caveats and modifiers. - Lurker

Type
    INTP

Texas Longhorns were the descendants of cattle brought to Hispaniola island (Haiti/Dominican Republic) and were basically free roaming for nearly 2 centuries once Texas was being annexed from Spain; and eventually were being selectively bred with European cattle. They are a combination of various ancient cattle breeds, and were near extinction during the 1920s due to other cattle being more preferable for the fat/tallow. Some of the cows sell for hundreds of thousands of dollars.

More info: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Texas_Longhorn
    Last edited by Catoptric; 06-25-2018 at 06:48 PM.

chaotic neutral shitpost
    Type
    xxxx
    the clouds in the sky caress my mind so tenderly

Type
    INTP
    I was reading an article written by a woman that reopened a Texas case of murder and rape that occurred in 1984, where the DNA/Forensic evidence she was lied about them having possession of (because at the time it would not have been able to identify the suspect?) turned out to be available, and a DNA test successfully identified a man that had been connected to a 1985 incident.

The attorney Richard 'Racehorse' Haynes that was representing the person initially considered connected to the murder due to being a loner that she invited out not long prior to the break-in is kind of notorious for defending scumbags successfully (which fortunately for this person he was indeed not responsible for the break-in).

One of the well known court cases Haynes defended is of Thomas Cullen Davis, an American oil heir (and according to this video they mention he likely stored drugs in a hidden closet,) however it is apparent that the situation of his divorced wife living in the same home with her live-in boyfriend, and the "random" break in identifying him as the shooter wearing a wig, is what implicates him.

Some people commenting on what happened to the house and the land it is on; the oil millionaire (billionaire?) was reportedly broke.

It's pretty pathetic when a legal system is so prone to manipulation from clown-acts and showmanship, and it doesn't bode well for our politics when things like this can happen. It kind of reflects the corruption that exists in all parts of the world when a single testimony could also be swayed in favor of threats of violence or false testimony when an interests is involved. More than likely Richard "Racehorse" Haynes could have cared less if any people he defended in a courtroom were guilty or not, and yet when they die they get specially honored inadvertently for their lack of conscience.

I should probably point out that the address for that home, and the very same building, is used as a wedding and reception hall (On yelp and on Facebook reviews it seems people are oblivious to what happened on that property; and I suspect Davis still owns it.
    Last edited by Catoptric; 06-26-2018 at 02:32 PM.

Type
    INTP
    Has ISIS been in anyones media lately?
    Those who begin coercive elimination of dissent soon find themselves exterminating dissenters. Compulsory unification of opinion achieves only the unanimity of the graveyard.

~ Robert Jackson, Statesman (1892-1954)