Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 17

Thread: Hangovers?

  1. #1
    a cantori Perdix's Avatar
    Type
    INTj
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    the deep end
    Posts
    2,428

    Hangovers?

    Do you guys get them? I usually don't, unless I'm drinking extremely high proof liquor. I drink a lot of water too... so that probably helps.

  2. #2
    schlemiel Faust's Avatar
    Type
    INTP
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    3,405
    I'm prone to them if I don't chug water after drinking copious amounts.

  3. #3
    I haven't had much of one in ages. I'd have to really try to get one. being unemployed = superior liver fitness.
    Last edited by last_caress; 06-07-2014 at 03:39 PM.

  4. #4
    non-canonical Light Leak's Avatar
    Type
    INTP
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Lost-Hope
    Posts
    2,397
    I don't get hangovers. I just get migraines. Anytime I drink a drop of alcohol I risk getting a migraine. Drinking less or drinking a lot of water after I drink alcohol does not seem to help at all in preventing them. I've gotten them before from having one drink.

  5. #5
    凸(ಠ_ರೃ )凸 stuck's Avatar
    Type
    xNxx
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    5,131
    If I keep my blood sugar stable and drink water I'm fine, although I do get depressed the next day after having more than 3 drinks.

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Type
    INTP
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    3,320
    Yes, if I have 2 or more drinks and don't drink enough water. Drinking gives me all kinds of bad side effects. My face gets hot and flush and my heart rate goes up. Everything starts to swell a bit. I get really tired. If I go to sleep after drinking, I wake up in the middle of the night when I start to sober up, I have to get up and pee several times, I am likely to have a headache and may develop a migraine. Right around the three drink mark I'm almost guaranteed to puke. The upside of puking while drunk is that I don't get a hangover the next day regardless. And I think chronic drinking, even if its only one drink a night, makes me prone to depression (maybe because of all the sleep disruption, but also probably due to having a depressant in my system every night). I really should just quit altogether.

  7. #7
    chaotic neutral shitpost jigglypuff's Avatar
    Type
    xxxx
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    shrubland
    Posts
    8,664
    yeah, i get them when i drink wine and i don't really like drinking in general. i really like to pig out the next day to help the aches, so people will buy me things like salad and it pisses me off.

  8. #8
    Pan_Sonic_000
    Guest
    If I drink a lot of water, I usually won't get them. But there's also a certain threshold where I'm going to feel like ass, no mater how much water I consume. I mean, one time a friend and I crushed a small-ish bottle of Everclear in a few hours; I vomited horribly and had a headache for the next day and a half.

    It also makes me depressed as well. Not sure how that happens or why, but I tend to get suicidal when I drink too much.

  9. #9
    a cantori Perdix's Avatar
    Type
    INTj
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    the deep end
    Posts
    2,428
    Quote Originally Posted by Light Leak View Post
    I don't get hangovers. I just get migraines. Anytime I drink a drop of alcohol I risk getting a migraine. Drinking less or drinking a lot of water after I drink alcohol does not seem to help at all in preventing them. I've gotten them before from having one drink.
    I had that too, it turned out to be a B12 deficiency. I take a multivitamin + a wide range B vitamin supplement daily, now I can drink without the side effects. It might be different for you, but it's worth a shot (double entendre), right?

    Quote Originally Posted by stuck View Post
    If I keep my blood sugar stable and drink water I'm fine, although I do get depressed the next day after having more than 3 drinks.
    Interesting, I usually get residual euphoria lasting into the next day...

    Quote Originally Posted by starla View Post
    If I go to sleep after drinking, I wake up in the middle of the night when I start to sober up, I have to get up and pee several times, I am likely to have a headache and may develop a migraine. Right around the three drink mark I'm almost guaranteed to puke. The upside of puking while drunk is that I don't get a hangover the next day regardless. And I think chronic drinking, even if its only one drink a night, makes me prone to depression (maybe because of all the sleep disruption, but also probably due to having a depressant in my system every night). I really should just quit altogether.
    Waking up drunk really does suck. One drink a night actually has been scientifically proven to be beneficial to your body: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/ar...-sex-life.html

    I'm terribly sorry for posting an article from a nonacademic source, however it was written based off of actual medical research and summarizes the findings well.

    Quote Originally Posted by Pan_Sonic_000 View Post
    It also makes me depressed as well. Not sure how that happens or why, but I tend to get suicidal when I drink too much.
    Hmm, that is an odd reaction. Maybe alcohol just brings out some underlying traits? IDK...

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Type
    INTP
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    3,320
    Quote Originally Posted by prometheus View Post
    One drink a night actually has been scientifically proven to be beneficial to your body: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/ar...-sex-life.html

    I'm terribly sorry for posting an article from a nonacademic source, however it was written based off of actual medical research and summarizes the findings well.
    http://www.nhs.uk/news/2014/05May/Pa...overhyped.aspx

    I'm skeptical of all diet-health studies these days. Every time someone (usually on this board) tries to tell me I should eat this and shouldn't eat that and eating nothing but eggs and bacon is actually good for you, I just think to myself "yeah, get back to me in 30 years". I stick with common sense. Common sense tells me that if alcohol is making me feel like shit it is probably unhealthy for me. In the long run, the downsides like the disrupted sleep, extra calories, and depressive effects outweigh whatever little decrease in stress level I get from being buzzed every night. You can sit there and quote however many doctors and studies you want, but I'm sticking with my conclusion.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •