Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Creative Coding

Type
    INTP

Creative Coding

I just signed up for this course because it looks fun. Please feel free to either join me or harass me into actually finishing all of the projects.

Now we know... Asteroids Champion ACow's Avatar
    Type
    INTP
    Looks fun. Keep us updated, even if i don't comment, i'll be following :P

Mens bona regnum possidet ferrus's Avatar
    Type
    INTP
    I've already signed up to the course - in fact I've done a few of their courses, including the Corpus Linguistics one, the Moons one and the Higgs Boson one. The actual programming in it is... eh, kind of trivial to me. But some of the material on creativity is interesting.
    Last edited by ferrus; 06-09-2014 at 01:58 AM.
    Die Logik ist keine Lehre, sondern ein Spiegelbild der Welt. Die Logik ist transcendental. - Wittgenstein

Type
    INTP
    Cool beans!

I wonder if some or most of the assignments can be done with turtle graphics.
    I tend to do less coding in the summer as I'm outdoors enjoying the too-short summer, but it might be fun to play along on a hit or miss basis.

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by ferrus View Post
    I've already signed up to the course - in fact I've done a few of their courses, including the Corpus Linguistics one, the Moons one and the Higgs Boson one. The actual programming in it is... eh, kind of trivial to me. But some of the material on creativity is interesting.
    Cool. Well, if you make anything feel free to share.

Quote Originally Posted by gps View Post
    Cool beans!

I wonder if some or most of the assignments can be done with turtle graphics.
    I tend to do less coding in the summer as I'm outdoors enjoying the too-short summer, but it might be fun to play along on a hit or miss basis.
    Perhaps they can.

Type
    INFP
    I signed up too, thanks for sharing the link.

chaotic neutral shitpost jigglypuff's Avatar
    Type
    xxxx
    sounds cool. i might sign up once my summer class is over.

Senior Member Tetris Champion notdavidlynch's Avatar
    Type
    INFP
    I was excited by the title of the thread (since I consider myself a "creative coder") but I would never sign up for that course.

If you have what it takes to be successful in creative coding, then I wouldn't bother signing up for the course.

This is a great book. I was impressed, as it's far more than just a "how to code" book, also giving you a decent introduction to creative coders/projects in the fine art community.

But, the processing website itself is all you need for an introduction and reference, you can then see what other people are doing/have done at OpenProcessing/GitHub/Creators Project/Twitter/Whatever. And when you're ready (and have the need) you can move on to OpenFrameworks or Cinder or whatever.

Another great reference is NOC (Nature of Code).

----

As an aside, I'm kinda alarmed by the proliferation of this kind of thing, simply because the people who are successful in this realm are the people who don't need this kind of guidance.

chaotic neutral shitpost jigglypuff's Avatar
    Type
    xxxx
    Quote Originally Posted by notdavidlynch View Post
    If you have what it takes to be successful in creative coding, then I wouldn't bother signing up for the course.
    As an aside, I'm kinda alarmed by the proliferation of this kind of thing, simply because the people who are successful in this realm are the people who don't need this kind of guidance.
    there's this thing that people like to do that's called learning. for personal enrichment. i'm sure those are good resources but this course is also free and may be a good general resource and intro considering that not everybody has the same background or focus. idk, i'm kinda pressed for time, personally, and there's no fee committing you to anything.

nobody "needs" classes or school or structure or community or anything for something like art, but look at where we are...

Senior Member Tetris Champion notdavidlynch's Avatar
    Type
    INFP
    Quote Originally Posted by tele View Post
    there's this thing that people like to do that's called learning. for personal enrichment.
    As I said, processing.org has all you need and more: reference, tutorials, community, etc. It's all anyone would ever need, and it's free. It's a superior resource in every way.

The course asks for your name and e-mail address and asks you to abide by a laundry list of terms of service that gives them all kinds of leeway to track your activity and sell your data - for research or not, and may require you to submit further information for identification at some point, including your name, DOB, and location. In other words, it's a large research, data mining operation. The terms of service and privacy policy are kind of insane. It even mentions your credit report.