Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pet Woes

Type
    INTP

Pet Woes

I didn't know where to put this but just felt the needed to vent so here it is.

I try to get my dog out to this park several times a week. It's beautiful. It has over 18kms of trails, lakes, streams and all in the woods with groomed trails. A whole section of this park has been dedicated an "off-leash" area for dogs. I refer to this place as "Doggy Disneyland". There is even a whole cove where people can play fetch with their dogs and on a hot summer day you have like around 100 dogs playing there like kids.

People have willed things like benches, fire hydrants and costs towards maintenance of this park sheerly due to their love of their dog and how important it is to have a place in the city to take your animals like this. My dog has her little doggy friends she likes to meet up there but like her mummy, after a brief interlude of socializing is ready to move on and just investigate shit (her more literal than me).

This year, there seems to be a lot more aggressive dogs coming to this park. In the last month 4 Rotti's have attacked my dog. I know, I know...owner not the breed but no other dogs are attacking her. Tonight an owner swore to me his Rotti only attacks Beagles. My Beagle attacks no dogs, hence why I have her off-leash in a friendly dog park and not some dog fighting arena. She's a small Beagle. Only 27lbs and that's all muscle so she's really quite small. I'm just so mad because if people like that keep coming there, I'm going to have to stop going and my dog just loves this park so much.

Type
    INTP
    Impractical solution:

Spoiler: to battle!

More practically, if the rottweiler owners exercise sufficient control over their dogs, they should eventually become socialized enough to know that attacking other dogs on this... dog holy ground isn't something they can get away with. But that involves socializing people to better socialize their dogs, which sounds like a pain in the ass.

Another potential solution is to go to the local government and see if they can find ways of discouraging people from letting their aggressive dogs off leash.

Type
    INTP
    Hahaha @ that pic

INTP_Polly - has anyone else's dog been attacked by any of the rottweilers, that you're aware of?
    Yes, I smell like a horse. No, I don't consider that a problem.

Type
    INTP
    Rottweilers don't like little dogs. They don't like them walking around freely, on the street, in the park or anywhere else. Any little dog happily bouncing around in public is an affront to the 24/7 mental curfew that exists in their nazi brains against little dogs. That's just the way it is.

/rottweiler enthusiast

//but I like german shepherds even more
    Quote Originally Posted by Hephaestus View Post
    Heh. We've been here years now.

Type
    INFP
    Don't Rotties have a pretty strong prey drive? That can sometimes express itself with cats and small dogs. I don't know, I'm not an expert. But I'd find somebody to complain to about any dogs being allowed to attack your dog. When I had a dog that was occasionally aggressive towards other dogs, I just didn't take him to dog parks. It's not like an inalienable right of dog ownership.

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Don't Rotties have a pretty strong prey drive?
    They were actually bred to be herding dogs. It's a very strong instinct in them. Some of the dogs at the ranch are rotties and they occasionally try to herd the equines (and get kicked for it).

A Transient Configuration Sistamatic's Avatar
    Type
    INTP
    I got bit in the face by a rottie when I was three. Lots and lots of stitches. The owner's kid threw a rock at it while I was petting it and it blamed me. Stigmatica thinks it was karma for all the times I bit him.

That said, I've known some really nice Rottweilers. They were owned by really nice people whose kids didn't throw rocks at dogs.

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Sistamatic View Post
    I got bit in the face by a rottie when I was three. Lots and lots of stitches. The owner's kid threw a rock at it while I was petting it and it blamed me. Stigmatica thinks it was karma for all the times I bit him.
    You went around biting rottweilers when you were three?

Type
    eNTP
    Quote Originally Posted by INTP_Polly View Post
    Tonight an owner swore to me his Rotti only attacks Beagles.
    Sounds like the owner knew his dog attacked other dogs, therefore should not be in an off-leash dog park. It doesn't matter if it only attacks <breed>. If it is dog aggressive in any way, it's poor form to bring it to such a place.
    I'm suspicious of people who say they'll die for a flag but won't wear a mask for their neighbor.

Type
    INTP
    It doesn't matter if it only attacks <breed>.
    I had a part-dalmation dog named Spot that only attacked black people. Fucking serious. He was a guard dog when we lived on a Caribbean island, his owners had always been white (we were the third) and he was used to barking at passers-by and strangers, who were always black.

He kept up the same habit in Canada when we took him on walks (never without a leash). It was mortifying, even though I'm sure nobody realized it.
    Heh. We've been here years now.